Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Interplay/Fallout Online Woes

A new SEC filing from Interplay indicates the company's financial woes continue, according to Gamasutra, and their continued operations are in jeopardy without an infusion of new capital soon. This threatens development of Fallout Online, the MMORPG at the center of an ongoing legal battle with Bethesda Softworks, as word is these money troubles may force them to cut their staff, which currently only consists of 11 employees (seven of whom are developers), or sell off further assets. Word is Interplay was down to $3,000.00 in cash on hand by the end of last year, compared with accumulated operating deficits of over $2.8 million, which includes unpaid compensation to the board of directors as well as back taxes and penalties. "We currently have some obligations that we are unable to meet without generating additional income or raising additional capital," the company warned stockholders. "If we cannot generate additional income or raise additional capital in the near future, we may become insolvent and/or be made bankrupt and/or may become illiquid or worthless."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 2, 2011, 22:53 Dev

Nere wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 22:44:
I will never forgive Interplay for what they did with Secret of Vulcan Fury.
[...]
Duke Nukem Forever came out .. maybe anything is possible.
I'd never heard of that project, thanks for the links. I did enjoy some of the other star trek adventure games though.
One of the bullet points was that it was going to have voices of original cast. Too late for that now, some of them are among the stars now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 2, 2011, 22:44 Nere

I will never forgive Interplay for what they did with Secret of Vulcan Fury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDKfX5Hwuoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHyg6nFpAY

Yeah .. I guess I can hold a grudge for a long time.

Damn you to hell Interplay! You don't deserve to be a part of ANY franchise.

I hope someday Trek fans will at least get to read the script for the game .. and that the voice acting (the last time the entire crew worked together, and the last time DeForest reprised McCoy) will be released or incorporated into a new game.

Duke Nukem Forever came out .. maybe anything is possible.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Secret_of_Vulcan_Fury

24. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 2, 2011, 11:58 Dev

Warskull wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:48:
At the same time Bethesda didn't want to pay for the rights to an MMO. We all know Fallout is an extremely valuable IP and they passed on the MMO rights because they were being cheap.
Don't think that passing on a $50 million untested MMORPG IP was being cheap. It was being smart. At the time, I think none of the fallout games had even broken the 500k mark. Granted the PC market as a whole was smaller then and that doesn't count the console market, but still it wasn't a guaranteed super hit success or anything.
Interplay said "less than $6 mil for everything but MMO, and $50 mil if you want the MMO rights".
The smart move was the $5.75 mil.
Plus, remember that Interplay was so desperate for even that much cash, they agreed to revert the MMO rights back to bethesda if interplay didn't get significant progress and funding by a deadline (which they obviously didn't succeed in).

Also recall that the agreement gave Beth 12% royalties from Interplay doing an MMO. So beth would have been happy even if Interplay DID succeed with the MMO. Beth would have been getting money with no work. Instead Interplay essentially sat on IP and did nothing with it.

23. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 2, 2011, 11:00 Dev

Another link: http://www.develop-online.net/news/37789/Fallout-in-doubt-as-Interplay-fears-collapse
Like this is any surprise. Interplay just needs to give it up and sell the rest of the IP to beth. Considering a good big MMORPG takes many millions nowadays (APB failed with $100 million), why even bother prolonging the agony? I'm still surprised at how many people went to work for them on this project KNOWING the financial situation.
7 devs make an MMO? Don't make me laugh. Maybe a facebook one with crap graphics.
Last time any news on the FO MMORPG came out, interplay claimed to have 90 people working on it for a 2012 release. Guess they either lied or fired everyone.

Edit: Quote from that develop link above
But debts appear to have reached a critical stage. Interplay said it owes the Internal Revenue Service some $410,000 in payroll taxes, payroll tax penalties, and interest for unpaid and late payments.
It owes the California Employment Development Department approximately $83,000 in payroll tax contributions, and still needs to pay the Franchise Tax Board about $10,000.
Pretty sure they are done. When the IRS comes after you and you can't pay, thats it. Thats how al capone was brought down.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2011, 11:58.

22. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 2, 2011, 07:05 eRe4s3r

7 coders can easily code the framework and workings of a MMO engine, yeah, they might not develop a MMO like WoW with that, but they'd have a framework done that once financing is established could be quickly fed with art and content.

The real problem is that Interplay gambled and lost, they gambled they'd get the 30m financing, but a world recession came and a finance crisis came... bad mojo all around.

Maybe they should have developed something to sell with those 11 guys instead of developing something they hope to sell one day, but won't until money appears from thin air.

21. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 23:14 wtf_man

Warskull wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:48:
At the same time Bethesda didn't want to pay for the rights to an MMO. We all know Fallout is an extremely valuable IP and they passed on the MMO rights because they were being cheap.

No matter how many times you post that same garbage, it doesn't make it any more true.

The facts are Interplay WANTED to keep the MMO rights all along. The head guy was talking about possibly making a Fallout MMO, long BEFORE Interplay sold the IP to Bethesda. So they put a STUPID price on the MMO rights, which Bethesda then said "fuck you".

That's how the whole agreement was made of "selling the IP except for the MMO rights... and the MMO rights would revert back to Bethesda if certain conditions weren't met".

If Bethesda was "being cheap", why would there be an agreement for "certain conditions to be met, or the MMO rights to revert back to Bethesda"? It was to protect the IP they just bought... not to be cheap.

The original Interplay plan was to develop the MMO from the sale of the rest of the Fallout IP... and hopefully make a WOW-like killing.

The only problem is... Bethesda was smart enough to stipulate they had to raise 30 Million (Beyond the IP Sale) within a certain amount of time, to prove they had the funding for a PROPER MMO Project and not DAMAGE the IP... which Interplay did not accomplish... which is why Bethesda has been in litigation with Interplay.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2011, 09:32.

20. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 21:30 venomhed

Does Alan Greenspan handle the finances there at Interplay by chance?  

19. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 21:10 Rigs

“That’s it, man, game over, man, game over! What the fuck are we gonna do now?”

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

18. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 18:44 Beelzebud

Actually you have it wrong. Interplay still owns the rights to the Fallout games before Fallout 3. Part of the deal with Bethesda was that if Interplay couldn't deliver an MMO in a certain time frame, then the rights for an MMO would go to Bethesda. They still own the original Fallout games though.  

17. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 18:39 DrEvil

Techie714 © wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 16:15:
DrEvil wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:49:
Somebody should mirror their FTP server ASAP. They have a trove of valuable patches, soundtracks, etc. that other sites don't have.

Whats their FTP addy?

Sadly, they've now put a username/password on it :-/

Seems like they were planning for this.

ftp.interplay.com/pub/* used to be where you could get all the patches and stuff.

16. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 16:28 Shineyguy

El Pit wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 13:39:
They REALLY have 7 developers working for them? That's six more than I thought.

Here's an idea: sell the rights to the Fallout MMORPG for a *reasonable* price. This way Interplay would get the money to pay its board of directors (how many are there? More than 11? ) and we would finally see what Fallout is meant to be: the best MMORPG on Earth.

I believe Bethesda owns all rights to the Fallout IP, and licensed the rights for the MMO back to Interplay when the purchase was made... That's why Bethesda has been bringing lawsuits down on Interplay as the agreement was that Interplay would have certain milestones hit at certain times (which they never have met; I'm not sure why judges continue to rule in Interplay's favor..)

15. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 16:15 Techie714 ©

DrEvil wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:49:
Somebody should mirror their FTP server ASAP. They have a trove of valuable patches, soundtracks, etc. that other sites don't have.

Whats their FTP addy?

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

14. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 15:49 DrEvil

13. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 15:48 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 14:24:
From the get go this was all about trying to squeeze Bethsoft for cash, plain and simple. Everyone including them knew they'd never build the thing or get the financing for it. This is just a case of IP squatting on a technicality. Shame of it is that this has set back any chance for a Fallout world for several years.

12. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 14:37 EricTheMad

Here's an idea: sell the rights to the Fallout MMORPG for a *reasonable* price.

I don't think they can legaly sell the rights. As I understand it, if they're unable to make the game within a certain time frame, then the rights automatically go to Bethesda. Could be wrong, though.

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

11. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 14:24 Cutter

From the get go this was all about trying to squeeze Bethsoft for cash, plain and simple. Everyone including them knew they'd never build the thing or get the financing for it. This is just a case of IP squatting on a technicality. Shame of it is that this has set back any chance for a Fallout world for several years.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 14:14 space captain

woes indeed  
Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 14:10 Dirwulf

Jaradakar wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 13:59:
There is no way in hell you can make an MMO with 11 people! World of Warcraft has 140+ people on the project.

They are smoking crack if they think it's ever going to happen. Interplay is dead... has been for a long time.

Those who are left need to wake up to reality. You can't make MMO (4-5 year development time) with no money. Hell they can't continue a legal battle without money.

Actually, when WoW was being developed, there was only about 75 employees at Blizzard. They didn't bring any GM's on board until a month before launch. And about 30 of those employees were QA. Of course, since then the team has become quite large. I don't know how 7 people are going to make a game though. Alganon didn't have very many developers. They didn't even have an office. No one plays that game though, but you can see a lot can be done by a few people.

8. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 13:59 Jaradakar

There is no way in hell you can make an MMO with 11 people! World of Warcraft has 140+ people on the project.

They are smoking crack if they think it's ever going to happen. Interplay is dead... has been for a long time.

Those who are left need to wake up to reality. You can't make MMO (4-5 year development time) with no money. Hell they can't continue a legal battle without money.

7. Re: Interplay/Fallout Online Woes Jun 1, 2011, 13:39 El Pit

They REALLY have 7 developers working for them? That's six more than I thought.

Here's an idea: sell the rights to the Fallout MMORPG for a *reasonable* price. This way Interplay would get the money to pay its board of directors (how many are there? More than 11? ) and we would finally see what Fallout is meant to be: the best MMORPG on Earth.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo