Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New NVIDIA Drivers

New WHQL-certified version 275.33 drivers are now available for NVIDIA graphics cards. Among other things, the new drivers address a performance issue with The Witcher 2 running under the beta 275-series drivers and offer Windows 7 performance improvements for several PC games for GeForce 400 Series and 500 Series GPUs compared with the previous WHQL drivers. There are drivers for Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows XP, and Windows XP 64-bit. Thanks Charles.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 2, 2011, 01:41 eRe4s3r

The error i am seeing is this

1) Nvidia Update Install Failed

Anyhow, apparently PhysX and GPU Driver both installed fine, its just the other stuff that ain't Installing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 2, 2011, 00:07 EternityMatters

Isn't version 275 a bit ridiculous

12. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 18:52 DrEvil

Tom wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 17:41:
Sorry, but there's a big difference between "using an incorrect API" (NVIDIA's words) and "making an invalid call to an API" (your words). It's up to applications to use the correct APIs and use those APIs correctly. It sounds like The Witcher 2 is not in this case.

But if the vendor fails to adequately document or indicate which the correct APIs are, that seems like a vendor failing doesn't it?

Even if the Witcher 2 devs are using the "wrong" API, it still seems silly that it should cause such a massive performance loss or not raise an error. "incorrect" implies "invalid" to me. Perhaps they meant to say, "they're not using the API in the way we expected or we believe to be correct."

It's up to the API vendor to make the API behave reasonably. Without knowing more about what The Witcher 2 is doing, I'd say there's insufficient evidence to accuse NVIDIA of wrongdoing here.

Then I'd say there's not enough to blame either party fully, so I'll blame them both :-)

11. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 18:28 Mashiki Amiketo

Did they fix the gamma/contrast reset on login problem with these drivers? And do they still cause BSOD's like the 275 betas?  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 17:41 Tom

DrEvil wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:59:
Of course the vendor's going to blame it on the application developer. The point is that if an application makes an invalid call to an API, the API should fail, not cause massive performance loss.

I'm not saying there's no witcher 2 bug here at all, just that the performance loss *should not be considered a Witcher 2 bug* specifically.

Sorry, but there's a big difference between "using an incorrect API" (NVIDIA's words) and "making an invalid call to an API" (your words). It's up to applications to use the correct APIs and use those APIs correctly. It sounds like The Witcher 2 is not in this case.

It's up to the API vendor to make the API behave reasonably. Without knowing more about what The Witcher 2 is doing, I'd say there's insufficient evidence to accuse NVIDIA of wrongdoing here.

9. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 17:35 Killswitch

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 16:37:
So I am the only one for whom the damned drivers fail to install? Does it require a total uninstall of the old drivers or what?

Seemed to install fine, but I received a message from the program compatibility assistant that said it might not have. I chose to reinstall using the "recommended settings" just to be safe and didn't receive the warning again. I chose custom both times and left everything the way it was (all components selected and clean install not selected). I think the last time I updated was only a few weeks ago. Don't think I have ever done a clean install unless I was upgrading hardware.

What kind of error are you seeing? I had a BFG card some years back that suddenly developed a problem where installing the driver would tell me it couldn't find the appropriate hardware. BFG support said it had to be RMA'd, which is what I did. The replacement functioned normally.

8. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 16:37 eRe4s3r

So I am the only one for whom the damned drivers fail to install? Does it require a total uninstall of the old drivers or what?  

7. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 15:59 DrEvil

Drayth wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:24:
DrEvil wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 14:00:

The fact that an application could cause that behaviour shows it was a driver bug, not a Witcher 2 bug.

From NV's forums:
""A drop in performance with the game The Witcher 2 may be observed if the user has ever completed the NVIDIA 3D Vision Wizard, and persists even after disabling 3D Vision through the NVIDIA Control Panel. The apparent cause is that the game uses an incorrect API to check whether 3d stereo is activated with each frame. A workaround will be provided by NVIDIA through a future display driver update which will restore performance when 3D Vision is disabled. We are also working with The Witcher 2 game developers to resolve the root issue. Please check back for new driver release information."

*shrug*
(the part about restoring performance when stereo is disabled is this driver release)

Of course the vendor's going to blame it on the application developer. The point is that if an application makes an invalid call to an API, the API should fail, not cause massive performance loss.

I'm not saying there's no witcher 2 bug here at all, just that the performance loss *should not be considered a Witcher 2 bug* specifically.

6. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 15:24 Drayth

DrEvil wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 14:00:

The fact that an application could cause that behaviour shows it was a driver bug, not a Witcher 2 bug.

From NV's forums:
""A drop in performance with the game The Witcher 2 may be observed if the user has ever completed the NVIDIA 3D Vision Wizard, and persists even after disabling 3D Vision through the NVIDIA Control Panel. The apparent cause is that the game uses an incorrect API to check whether 3d stereo is activated with each frame. A workaround will be provided by NVIDIA through a future display driver update which will restore performance when 3D Vision is disabled. We are also working with The Witcher 2 game developers to resolve the root issue. Please check back for new driver release information."

*shrug*
(the part about restoring performance when stereo is disabled is this driver release)

5. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 15:02 SectorEffector

Drayth wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 12:27:
The performance issue was if you had ever run the Stereo 3D setup wizard, The Witcher 2 was pinging the wrong part of the driver to see if 3D was enabled which caused a massive slow down in performance. The solution was to disable the Stereo 3D service, or uninstall the Stereo Driver portion of the nvidia drivers.

There's still a bug that causes massive slow down in indoor portions of The Witcher 2 when running stereo.. that fix is coming later this month.

Goddamn it, I was hoping they would have that fixed. I have been holding off playing any more witcher till I'm able to play again in 3D. It's nothing short of awesome with my 3D projector, until you play an indoor cut scene and get 8fps.

*fingers crossed when I get home to play some Witcher 2*

Also It would be nice if any 3D on Youtube would actually work with the nvidia 3D. They made some huge announcement that Youtube 3D was supported by 3D vision, then every time I set it to 3D through Nvidia, I would get an error message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

4. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 14:00 DrEvil

Drayth wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 12:27:
The performance issue was if you had ever run the Stereo 3D setup wizard, The Witcher 2 was pinging the wrong part of the driver to see if 3D was enabled which caused a massive slow down in performance. The solution was to disable the Stereo 3D service, or uninstall the Stereo Driver portion of the nvidia drivers.

There's still a bug that causes massive slow down in indoor portions of The Witcher 2 when running stereo.. that fix is coming later this month.

3. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 12:39 Verno

Well I hope they fixed the issue I described because that card is loud as hell at 70% fan speed.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

2. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 12:27 Drayth

1. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Jun 1, 2011, 12:17 Verno

That "performance issue" was kind of nuts, it pegged my 560 Ti at high temperatures despite the fan going at 70% speed in a well ventilated system.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo