Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring

SEGA and Gearbox announce a spring 2012 release window for Aliens: Colonial Marines, the upcoming first-person shooter based on the Alien/Aliens film franchise. This confirms the rumor that the game would not be released this year, in spite of a little misdirection. The news is accompanied by this piece of art from the game, as well as its E3 trailer, which includes no gameplay footage, but sets the story with some text on a virtual monitor and some dialog, concluding with an ominous cinematic. Here's a bit on the game's setting from the announcement:

Aliens: Colonial Marines begins with an ostensibly abandoned ship, the U.S.S. Sulaco, recovered in orbit around LV-426. Players lead a group of highly trained United States Colonial Marines as they board the deserted craft to uncover the fate of the crew. They will have to fight to survive unspeakable horrors and their own anxieties as they chase down the truth behind a galaxy-spanning deception that places humanity at the mercy of the most murderous and deadly species in the universe. Aliens: Colonial Marines features authentic environments, such as the surface of LV-426 and Hadley’s Hope, weapons inspired by the film series and is designed to provide an exhilarating and engaging new chapter in the Aliens universe.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 2, 2011, 06:47 InBlack

The last AvP was a big dissapointment for me, it wouldnt have sucked so bad if they made the Aliens soooo gooooddddaamn slooooow so that they could be hit by kids using retarded console controlers.

Slow Aliens are not really scary. At all.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 2, 2011, 02:48 DangerDog

Darks wrote on Jun 2, 2011, 00:11:
You guys ever thought that maybe Burke was lying to her about her Daughter because he wanted her to go on the mission, being the greedy asshole that he was. Plus, who knows if her daughter had any kids, one even being a daughter somewhat like Ripley.

I think that would be a cool twist but I was wrong in my assessment of the video released.

I just checked that scene again, on the picture Burke hands her it says Dependents - Nil

18. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 2, 2011, 00:11 Darks

You guys ever thought that maybe Burke was lying to her about her Daughter because he wanted her to go on the mission, being the greedy asshole that he was. Plus, who knows if her daughter had any kids, one even being a daughter somewhat like Ripley.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

17. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 22:34 Sempai

Yet another Aliens game that will continue the beating this once great franchise never deserved.

The source material deserves better.

16. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 21:02 DangerDog

Jonny wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 18:52:
They also mention "Amanda Ripley" as a USCM so I would guess that's who you play, but in Aliens they said her daughter was dead from old age.

Pretty sure that was Ripley's employee file flashing past. Listing Amanda Ripley under "daughter".

The Ripely in the movies is Ellen Ripley.

Ellen Ripley was born on January 7th 2092 at the Olympia colony on Luna. She had one daughter, Amanda Ripley-McClaren . Sometime prior to 2122[8][9], she was hired as a Warrant Officer for the Weyland-Yutani commercial hauler USCSS Nostromo.

But in Aliens they said her daughter died of old age.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Ellen_Ripley

edit: you're right, didn't catch the Ellen Ripley part at the top of the video the first time watching.

15. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 19:11 Shataan

Pretty stoked about this announcement, but I REALLY hope we do NOT have to handhold or babysit any A.I.. So the A.I. had better be autonomous.  

14. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 18:52 Jonny

They also mention "Amanda Ripley" as a USCM so I would guess that's who you play, but in Aliens they said her daughter was dead from old age.

Pretty sure that was Ripley's employee file flashing past. Listing Amanda Ripley under "daughter".

13. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 18:40 Darks

Drayth wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 15:50:
The game ties directly with Aliens.

I read a few years ago how they even got in touch with Kodak so they could reproduce the look of the film grain and color saturation (or something like that) from Aliens as closely as possible.

Really hoping this turns out good.

Me too, im really looking forward to this game. love the Aliens movie, and a game based off it is perfect. Hopefully the games Coop will be great too.

I wonder if they are going to forgo what happened to the Sulaco in the movie and say this is the new starting point for the game. I didnt care for that movie or how they killed off the rest of the crew.

It will be interesting to see how this one transpires and how you end up on a new colony defending it. And how they explain what has happned to Hicks and Ripply.

BTW, if you had read the Aliens book, you would know that Ripley found Burke incased on the wall and begging her to kill him. What she did was give him a grenade and walks away. Don’t think Burke will be making any appearances.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2011, 18:47.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

12. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 16:18 Jerykk

JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 13:41:
This might be arbitrary, but in the press release they mention the PC first.

Yeah, that doesn't mean much. Later in the press release, they mention it last.

11. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 15:50 Drayth

The game ties directly with Aliens.

I read a few years ago how they even got in touch with Kodak so they could reproduce the look of the film grain and color saturation (or something like that) from Aliens as closely as possible.

Really hoping this turns out good.

10. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 15:32 DangerDog

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 14:42:
I'm curious as to what specific part of the timeline this takes place in, because they seem to be implying that Burke is still alive?

We never did see Burke actually die, there was a scene where Ripley comes across him all cocooned up but was never put back into the movie, not even the extended directors cut. Perhaps even Cameron wanted to use that story element to tie in with a sequel.

The Sulaco left LV-426 without indecent at the end of Aliens.

Not sure how they're going to tie the Sulaco into being in orbit around LV-426 again.

Bishop is mentioned, legs found but his upper torso was in the cyro tube that went down in Aliens 3.

On that tid-bit I would guess it takes place after Aliens 3. Burke was a stow away and somehow was responsible for the placement of the Alien egg, but if he had an egg why wouldn't he just jettison the crew and head for home, why return to LV-426.

9. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 15:25 Sty

I've really enjoyed Gearbox's work lately. If they recapture the original Aliens in feel and bring a solid Co-operative experience, I'm totally down for it. A Borderlands or L4D style co-op would be spot on, IMHO.  

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

8. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 14:42 Elf Shot The Food

I'm curious as to what specific part of the timeline this takes place in, because they seem to be implying that Burke is still alive?  

7. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 14:25 DangerDog

I really thought this was going to get the axe and Gearbox would go off and make a sequel to Borderlands.

I actually like the fact that they're staying true to the "Aliens" version tech wise (mono CRT). I want to get immersed in that world not some supped up "Star Trek" like re-imaged version.

6. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 13:56  Blue 

Ray Ban wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 12:43:
This should be good. Co-op should be a blast!

I thought it was kind of funny that Gearbox don't think we will have made the transition to IPv6 before this time setting (as evidenced in the video at 0:26).

Well the whole Aliens vision of the future is a little retro to start with... Mono CRTs?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 13:41 JaguarUSF

This might be arbitrary, but in the press release they mention the PC first.  

4. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 12:43 Ray Ban

This should be good. Co-op should be a blast!

I thought it was kind of funny that Gearbox don't think we will have made the transition to IPv6 before this time setting (as evidenced in the video at 0:26).

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

3. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 12:40 Verno

Gearbox FPS games are hit and miss for me but I dig anything Aliens so I'll check it out.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

2. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 12:34 Wallshadows

I hope they actually optimize the Alien movement for the PC version. It was painful to watch how clunky/slow they moved in the last title.  

1. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in Spring Jun 1, 2011, 12:27 Drayth

SWEET!  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo