Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cryptic Sold

Atari's plan to sell Cryptic Studios has already been executed, as GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) has word that the MMO developer is now the property of Chinese online games operator Perfect World. Word is the developer changed hands in a cash transaction worth $50.3 million USD (35 million/30.4m).

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 22:15 Ruffiana

Fion wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 12:40:
Why pay a gold farmer when you have back door slavery, IE prisoners.

Cryptic has had a few successes over the years. City of Heroes had a solid population for a number of years and was well ahead of its time with real time combat and a very open character advancement system. Sure the game was shallow (at least in the first year or two) but it was serious fun.

Then of course they dropped the ball with Champions, though almost none of the original guys from CoX was on that team (they had all left the company to stay with CoX at NCSoft). Then STO hit and that was even worse. So I suppose this should have been expected. I mean shit even SOE did a better Supers game than Champions with DCUO, which is a pretty good game as it stands.

Goodbye Cryptic, I wont be missing you.

Wrong. The people who were working on City of Heroes at the time NCSoft aquired it from Cryptic were also offered jobs to continue working on it and found NCNC...which eventually became Paragon. That team was less than 15 people. I know this because I was one of those people.

However, a great bulk of the original people working on City of Heroes and City of Villains had either already been moved off to other projects, including the once Marvel Universe Online, now Champions Online, or had left the company entirely at least a full year before that exchange took place. All told, there were more developers who had worked on CoH left at Cryptic then those who moved over to Paragon.

Paragon now has exactly 5 of those original CoH developers from Cryptic. The rest either left over the years or were laid off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 18:21 Ventura

I knew Cryptic would get an absolute flogging in here, but to be honest, I've enjoyed their games over the years. Granted, I didn't play STO nor Champions much past the first month of free time, but the same is true for most MMO's with me these days (AoC, Rift, etc), and I have enjoyed returning to City of Heroes a couple of times, even though they now have nothing to do with that one.

They're not the best developer in the world, but if you ask me, there's precious little competition for that spot these days.

15. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 18:17 Silicon Avatar

The C Store is goofy. Fortunately you don't need anything in it to master the game.

I made rear-admiral in a month of play & there's not really much left for me to do. I've already seen all the powers and special weapons, so my sub is going to end in a couple weeks.

Ground combat does suck. By the time I got to admiral I basically quit doing ground missions. The exploration missions are even worse. "Go here, play a mini-game, do it again."

In the grand scheme of things the game is very forgettable. If it were F2P then it might have a better chance.

I wish a quality MMO developer had the license instead but oh well. I got my $8 worth at least.

14. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 17:02 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 10:53:
Xoxotl wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 10:46:
Anybody playing a Cryptic game must now, according to the revised Terms of Service, house and feed a Chinese gold farmer.

That's no longer necessary. Chinese prisoners are being forced to gold-farm in MMOs now. (Seriously.)

As for the news, yeah, suddenly what little desire I had to play Star Trek Online vanished in a heartbeat.

Creston

I have to give credit to Cryptic with Star Trek Online. They are continuing to push out quality content for the game (unless your klingon but that's coming soon enough), and truly listening to the players.
The worst problem is the damn C-Store. Everything in it is overpriced, and they need to adjust their prices similar to how Xbox Live has their content priced. I don't want to buy 2 chunks of 500 points to buy something that is 800 points.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 16:35 zincthallinide

I agree, STO is fun for a bit (a month?) before it gets sameish. Also you must ignore the fact that the Federation is suddenly at war with every other species in the universe, and that that therefore means they must blow them up over and over and over and over..

Ship combat is fun while it lasts, though. Planets have nicely varied settings, until you see them all..

Enjoy

12. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 16:08 Dirwulf

I tried to jump back into STO since all the "improvements." The ground combat is still so heinous I had to quit after a few days. How anyone can call that game fun, I don't know.

11. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 15:48 Punisher

Actually, they don't need gold farmers at all... They can just give themselves unlimited amounts of Gold and uber characters since they own it anyway.....

10. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 14:30 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 14:25:
Yeah, STO has improved a lot but not worth a sub. I wonder what this bodes for Neverwinter.

Whatever it is, it's not good.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 14:25 Cutter

Yeah, STO has improved a lot but not worth a sub. I wonder what this bodes for Neverwinter.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 14:11 Tumbler

STO is relatively decent now. I found it for $8 on Amazon a while back. It's not the end-all-be-all Star Trek game, but it's pretty fun.

I bought it off amazon for $2.50 and picked up another collectors edition for $2.50, so $5 for two months wasn't that bad. After loading it and playing it for 30 min or so I canceled the sub and never went back. The game is better than launch but the gameplay is still really boring after you've put in about 20 hours or so. If you've never played it through it's worth sinking a few hours too, it's pretty, but if you played the beta I believe you've seen everything the game has to offer.

Paying $15 a month a horrifying thought...this needs to be free to play.

Oh yeah, and how long till we see "Press 1 for Chinese, Press 2 for English!"

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 13:36 Silicon Avatar

STO is relatively decent now. I found it for $8 on Amazon a while back. It's not the end-all-be-all Star Trek game, but it's pretty fun.

6. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 13:27 Slashman

Cryptic has had a few successes over the years. City of Heroes had a solid population for a number of years and was well ahead of its time with real time combat and a very open character advancement system. Sure the game was shallow (at least in the first year or two) but it was serious fun.

Then of course they dropped the ball with Champions, though almost none of the original guys from CoX was on that team (they had all left the company to stay with CoX at NCSoft). Then STO hit and that was even worse. So I suppose this should have been expected. I mean shit even SOE did a better Supers game than Champions with DCUO, which is a pretty good game as it stands.

Missing? I don't even think about them.

5. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 12:40 Fion

4. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 12:14 Hyatus

Anybody playing a Cryptic game must now, according to the revised Terms of Service, house and feed a Chinese gold farmer.

In a roundabout way, buying into these games will help do exactly that.

3. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 10:53 Creston

That's no longer necessary. Chinese prisoners are being forced to gold-farm in MMOs now. (Seriously.)

As for the news, yeah, suddenly what little desire I had to play Star Trek Online vanished in a heartbeat.

Creston

2. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 10:46 Xoxotl

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

1. Re: Cryptic Sold Jun 1, 2011, 10:24 wtf_man

Perfect Owner.

Now Cryptic can shit out lame / ridiculously-oversized-weaponed / milk-white-round-eye-school-girl-in-high-heels-with-big-tits / pooftah-effeminate-gurly-man... Asian-grind-fests... with typical shallow Cryptic gameplay.

I wonder if the new Chinese Owners are going to work Cryptic like the Foxconn factory. Couldn't happen to a more "talented" bunch!

Hoo-Yah!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo