Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders

GamePro spoke with GameStop about what to expect if you are one of those who preordered Duke Nukem Forever, or who inherited a preorder from someone whose time came before Duke's (thanks Ant via Slashdot). Word is they plan on honoring these preorders and expect to extend Duke's Big Package to these committed folks:

"With a long-anticipated release like Duke Nukem Forever, we encourage customers who pre-ordered more than a year ago to verify their reservation with their local store prior to launch. Provided the customer has a receipt, we will honor even those pre-orders taken long ago. At this time, we expect that all pre-order customers will receive Duke's Big Package at time of purchase, regardless of when the reservation was made."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 31, 2011, 06:00 Dev

Creston wrote on May 31, 2011, 01:59:
Not mentioned in their largess is that all pre-orders were likely printed on that shitty register paper, from which the ink fades after about a year... :p

Lowes tried to fuck me on my extended warranty for my mower that way.

Creston
That stuff is temperature sensitive thermal paper. Keep it in temperature controlled area (such as house) and don't leave it anywhere near sun. It should keep longer that way. Also, if its expensive, make copies.
I believe you can tell temp sensitive paper if you can make a black mark on it by running your fingernail over it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 31, 2011, 04:52 Chazix

Hey how nice of them to give customers the product they paid for.
Thats something really special.

15. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 31, 2011, 01:59 Creston

Not mentioned in their largess is that all pre-orders were likely printed on that shitty register paper, from which the ink fades after about a year... :p

Lowes tried to fuck me on my extended warranty for my mower that way.

Creston

14. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 22:53 Paranoid Jack

As far as in store pre-orders... if the game slips or drops from radar I'm guessing it's the same as if you pre-order a game and then don't pick it up. The money you put down becomes theirs at some point with no refund. I can't remember the time period but I had it happen to me once years ago. Doubt it was DNF but it may have been.

If you only put five or ten down they will hold the game for two days before they are allowed (by store policy) to sell it to another customer. The guys at my favorite store will hold a game for me until I get a chance to pick it up or until they make contact with me about my intentions.

Not sure about the policy when you've pre-paided in full. Also if you pre-order for in-store pick-up via the Internet but don't pick it up the website says their is a restocking fee. After seeing that I never pre-order via the Internet again. Unless I wanted it shipped to me.

13. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 22:17 Killswitch

Is there any reason why they wouldn't honor preorders? And unless your address had changed, I don't see why they would need your receipt. Doesn't preordering just put your name and address on a mailing list that ships the game when it's ready?

This comment was edited on May 30, 2011, 22:24.

12. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 20:12 jm0ris0n

It'll be interesting to see if amazon offers the same ...  

11. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 19:31 entr0py

Wookiestick wrote on May 30, 2011, 18:42:
Reminds me of this question I asked in 2006.

Here's your answer.

2001 Duke Nukem Forever receipt

10. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 18:42 Wookiestick

Reminds me of this question I asked in 2006.

Love thy wookie.

9. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 18:30 Rigs

Ripperjack wrote on May 30, 2011, 15:57:
I had a pre-order with Chips and Bits Online

Oh man, I remember them. I used to order stuff from them COD, being a kid it was awesome to be able to order a game (over the phone) and just pay the UPS guy 50 bucks in allowance savings.

Indeed, they were a major mail-order company for PC games back in the day. I would also check out their ads in the mags because they would usually have games available for pre-order that didn't even exist yet, much less announced. Like expansions and sequels of newly released games. A lot of times these things never came out, such as DNF. Still, it was fun to read anyway...though, I'd imagine it would get them into some trouble if someone pre-ordered a title that wasn't even announced or even thought of...

=-Rigs-=

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

8. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 18:19 007Bistromath

The key phrase here is "provided the customer has a receipt."

I'm pretty sure the only people who still have the receipt for a DNF pre-order from more than a year ago are the ones who framed it.

7. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 18:08 Jerykk

I question the ethics of taking customers money for a game that didn't/doesn't even have a firm ship date to begin with.

"Ethics" and "retail" don't really have anything to do with one another.

6. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 17:10 irontoes

Ripperjack wrote on May 30, 2011, 15:57:
I had a pre-order with Chips and Bits Online

Oh man, I remember them. I used to order stuff from them COD, being a kid it was awesome to be able to order a game (over the phone) and just pay the UPS guy 50 bucks in allowance savings.

5. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 16:26 Hump

I question the ethics of taking customers money for a game that didn't/doesn't even have a firm ship date to begin with.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 15:57 Ripperjack

What about poeple with pre-orders from other stores.

I had a pre-order with Chips and Bits Online, back in 1998. However, the company went out of business a few years back... so I guess it sucks to be me.

3. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 15:53 Wolfen

I have to agree this is PR. However, I think they are legally obligated to honor those pre-orders anyways aren't they? I mean this is no big deal other then they are announcing they will do what they were supposed to do.  

2. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 15:38 entr0py

There must be just a handful of people who both didn't cancel their preorder and didn't lose the receipt after all these years.

So why not make a bigger deal of it and give them the balls of steel edition for free? Seriously, it's like 12 people, and it would make great PR.

1. Re: GameStop Honoring DNF Preorders May 30, 2011, 14:04 Ray Marden

Meh - this is all smoke and mirrors. They may honor more recent reservations, but the long, long ago canceled my preorder of the game.

This is just PR speak for "We will sell you this game.*"
"Better yet, please come back in a week and we'll sell you the used version.
Sadly anticipating the game ,
Ray

*But if you want the PC version, you will have to pre-order. We try to stock little to no PC games. Especially on launch day.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo