Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer

A StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Teaser Trailer on Dailymotion is online, an apparent leak from the upcoming second installment in the three-part release of StarCraft II, Blizzard's real-time strategy sequel. Though leaked, this looks like it was created as a promotional material, suggesting more revelations about Heart of the Swarm may be near. Thanks GameSpot.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 30, 2011, 08:49 Verno

I'm sure it has a dedicated following in the competitive scene but it sure seems like Starcraft 2 was a disappointment to the rest of us. I can only speak anecdotally but out of the four steamgroups I'm in, I don't know anyone who still plays it. I stopped after the custom map failed to go anywhere, I think the proliferation of things like HoN and LoL probably took away a big chunk of potential player base there.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 22:19 SunnyD

We miss them now.  

26. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 15:47 El Pit

Guys, don't hate Blizz too much. Blizzard is one of the very last companies that concentrate on pc games. I hate their oh so long development times as much as you do, but at least they don't consolize their games to hell and back. ActiBlizz isn't the Blizzard of old times, of course, but nevertheless: don't bash the last few pc game developers too hard, you might miss them in the future.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

25. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 12:16 RollinThundr

Cypher wrote on May 29, 2011, 10:14:
Flatline wrote on May 29, 2011, 05:48:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 28, 2011, 18:10:
Flatline wrote on May 28, 2011, 17:38:
My problem with SC2 is that while there may be a lot of missions, the overall gameplay length was somewhere around one campaign from SC2 since so many missions were completable in about half an hour. So despite claims to the contrary, it really is paying full price for 3 chapters.

Maybe you haven't played Starcraft 1 recently or something but most of its missions only took about a half hour to finish too. The only hour plus missions I can think of are the last mission of the original Protoss campaign and the last mission of Brood War.

Eh... I got significantly less gameplay and enjoyment out of SC2 than I did the original SC. It felt incomplete, the single player offering didn't actually tell a story (we need all 3 parts to get the story), and the game overall seemed... easier than SC1 (though the last mission was a little bit difficult). Multiplayer is the only robust offering, and I can't see that changing much in the next two releases, which I imagine are going to be full priced releases. If they're 30 bucks they'll be a decent value, but somehow I doubt it.

Let's be honest. If this had any other developer's name on it other than Blizzard there would have been hell and damnation over the initial offering of SC2.

You dare being honest about it!?!?

But yeah, I agree.
To add, the story also suffered from lack of immersion. I didn't feel for a single second as being Raynor.
The first one had people talking to the player, or describing, at least, for the player's benefit. In this one, everything is contained within Raynor. And it really took me out of the story.

You guys forget though. Blizzard can do no wrong. I'm still sticking to my guns they're the most overrated developer in the entire industry.

24. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 12:13 Dmitri_M

I think also SC2 is simply the same game and we're all a bit bored of rehashes  

23. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 10:14 Cypher

Flatline wrote on May 29, 2011, 05:48:
My problem with SC2 is that while there may be a lot of missions, the overall gameplay length was somewhere around one campaign from SC2 since so many missions were completable in about half an hour. So despite claims to the contrary, it really is paying full price for 3 chapters.

Maybe you haven't played Starcraft 1 recently or something but most of its missions only took about a half hour to finish too. The only hour plus missions I can think of are the last mission of the original Protoss campaign and the last mission of Brood War.

Eh... I got significantly less gameplay and enjoyment out of SC2 than I did the original SC. It felt incomplete, the single player offering didn't actually tell a story (we need all 3 parts to get the story), and the game overall seemed... easier than SC1 (though the last mission was a little bit difficult). Multiplayer is the only robust offering, and I can't see that changing much in the next two releases, which I imagine are going to be full priced releases. If they're 30 bucks they'll be a decent value, but somehow I doubt it.

Let's be honest. If this had any other developer's name on it other than Blizzard there would have been hell and damnation over the initial offering of SC2.

You dare being honest about it!?!?

But yeah, I agree.
To add, the story also suffered from lack of immersion. I didn't feel for a single second as being Raynor.
The first one had people talking to the player, or describing, at least, for the player's benefit. In this one, everything is contained within Raynor. And it really took me out of the story.

22. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 10:11 Tom

SC2 was worth the purchase price for the mods (third party maps with totally different gameplay) alone, even though they've been slow to get going. I've had a ton of fun playing Desert Strike with friends against random opponents.  

21. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 06:57 rist3903

I would play the game more if it didn't force me to be available to my friends list. It would be very nice to have an 'offline' mode. Nothing quite like being in a heated 1v1 and having someone try to chat with you.

How are they going to handle mercenaries for zerg? That will be strange.

20. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 05:48 Flatline

19. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 29, 2011, 05:42 FloorPie

AnointedSword wrote on May 29, 2011, 00:03:
I have sc2, it is collecting virtual dust:/

Yeah I finally got around to playing the campaign 2+ months after I bought the game when it came out. It was fun (not great) and I enjoyed the single player far more than I remember enjoying sc1 campaigns. That said, all the changes to multiplayer, namely only bnet meant I have not touched multiplayer but once or twice. I haven't fired up the game in almost 6 months. Combine that with $60 x3 and meh. Maybe I'll pick up the next 2 parts when they're on sale.

18. No subject May 29, 2011, 00:03 AnointedSword

I have sc2, it is collecting virtual dust:/  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

17. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 28, 2011, 21:25 Dades

Darks wrote on May 28, 2011, 19:28:
There is no depth to this game and it lacks any appeal. Units and structures are like paper and get shreaded.

What does this ridiculous crap even mean?

16. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 28, 2011, 21:24 nin

Thoe most over rated piece of shit game of the Century. There is no depth to this game and it lacks any appeal. Units and structures are like paper and get shreaded. They had a chance to reinvent this game and stuck with the old crappy concept of game play with updated graphics.

Yeah! Fuck gameplay!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 28, 2011, 20:58 Bhruic

While I focus on the single player campaign myself, I think we all have to admit that for Blizzard, the real payoff is the multiplayer. So I guess we'll see what gets changed with that to determine what's going on with the game. Although I'll say now: if they are charging full price for this expansion pack - and that's what it is, I certainly won't be buying it.  

14. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 28, 2011, 20:24 Paketep

Yawn indeed. It's like when Acti merged with Blizzard, Kotick went and cut the balls of every Blizzard employee.  

13. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 28, 2011, 20:02 grudgebearer

I already own the original and Brood War...I waited for the demo of SCII and I was as unimpressed by the actual gameplay as I was by the videos.

The entire thing just feels dated, and more of a 3d conversion of the original rather than a new game.

I might pick this up when all 3 sections are released, and the price has dropped significantly, but not before then.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2011, 05:19.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

12. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 28, 2011, 19:28 Darks

Thoe most over rated piece of shit game of the Century. There is no depth to this game and it lacks any appeal. Units and structures are like paper and get shreaded. They had a chance to reinvent this game and stuck with the old crappy concept of game play with updated graphics.

Blizzard got their last dollar out of me, never again!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

11. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 28, 2011, 18:46 nutshell42

My guess is either all the haters hate that SCII couldn't give them their youth back or they exaggerate SC1's campaign length because the game did less to keep the mission rolling. I know I took ages in my first SC1 play-through (I actually thought it was pretty boring, heh), never attack unless you're at 200/200 etc. But when I replayed it last year I breezed through most of them in half an hour as you say.

SCII has a much better mission design but that makes it harder to stretch each and every one of them to an 2h turtle fest. And if you grade games only by their potential as time sink then obviously Blizzard sold out (which is stupid. In every way. Especially for SCII where custom maps will keep even the multiplayer-haters entertained)

10. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 28, 2011, 18:39 Mashiki Amiketo

rist3903 wrote on May 28, 2011, 18:27:
I wonder if the choices you make in ScII affect the path of the game in Heart of the Swarm.

That'd be pretty cool. Seems to be the way gaming is going anyway, plus if you got a good AAA title, it keeps people coming back.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Trailer May 28, 2011, 18:27 rist3903

I wonder if the choices you make in ScII affect the path of the game in Heart of the Swarm.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo