Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GTA4 Street Views

The Liberty City map on GTA4.net offers an interactive map from Grand Theft Auto 4 that includes street views painstakingly created using about 80,000 screenshots. The end result is as impressive as the Google Maps feature upon which it is based. Thanks nin via Kotaku.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 30, 2011, 01:20 nin

The biggest hurdle to more cases would be the recording of the facial animations, and hiring the actors. That's obviously a fairly sizable chunk of change they have to put in it, so I'm not sure whether the expense would be worth it to them.

That said, it's very likely they have at least four or five cases ready to go as DLC.

I believe there were at least 2 preorder cases from different places, depending on who you got it from. So we have those coming. Bondi has also said in interviews that there were two desks of cases that were left out of the game, and there was talk as to if they might go back and finish those up (no promises, but it was being discussed).

So cross your fingers.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 21:40 Creston

Tumbler wrote on May 29, 2011, 17:15:
I was just thinking the other night at while I like what Bondi and R* did with LA, I still prefer Liberty City.

I'm loving LA Noire. I like the pacing. A lot of subtle puzzle solving, looking over crime scenes. The action is basically tacked on which is fine. I want more games like this. Some of the cases are a lot of fun. One of the early cases which ends up on a movie set has been my favorite so far.

I really hope they are planning to drop some case packs via dlc...or something more akin to the expansion pack like add ons to read dead would be better. Seems like a properly built case is going to be huge. I want to see the same amount of facial animations and such. I would think it needs to be generated new for each mission though. Maybe they built way more content than they could ship and they've got dozens of missions ready to offer.

The biggest hurdle to more cases would be the recording of the facial animations, and hiring the actors. That's obviously a fairly sizable chunk of change they have to put in it, so I'm not sure whether the expense would be worth it to them.

That said, it's very likely they have at least four or five cases ready to go as DLC. Heck, I've got one waiting until Sony finally figures out how to run the following commands

Start, Run
CMD
C:\PSN\PSNSTORE > PSNSTORE.EXE

Creston

19. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 17:15 Tumbler

I was just thinking the other night at while I like what Bondi and R* did with LA, I still prefer Liberty City.

I'm loving LA Noire. I like the pacing. A lot of subtle puzzle solving, looking over crime scenes. The action is basically tacked on which is fine. I want more games like this. Some of the cases are a lot of fun. One of the early cases which ends up on a movie set has been my favorite so far.

I really hope they are planning to drop some case packs via dlc...or something more akin to the expansion pack like add ons to read dead would be better. Seems like a properly built case is going to be huge. I want to see the same amount of facial animations and such. I would think it needs to be generated new for each mission though. Maybe they built way more content than they could ship and they've got dozens of missions ready to offer.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

18. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 16:50 jimnms

I never had any performance issues with it. My system at the time of release was a 2.4GHz AMD 64 X2, 2GB RAM and a GTX 260. I couldn't max out graphics settings, and I don't remember my exact settings but I think it was medium texture settings, shadows on low and view distance around 30 at 1680x1050. Performance got better with patches, except one did make the shadows look like shit. They finally got the shadows looking better without a performance hit.

My current system, 2.66GHz core i5, 4GB RAM and GTX 470 can run it maxed out, except I keep traffic density at 50 so it's not to crowded. My biggest complaint was (and partially still is) the fucked up key customization. At first you couldn't remap the right mouse button at all. One of the patches claimed to fix it, but it didn't. It would let you use it for anything except in the foot controls. I think one of the last few patches finally let you customize everything, but there's still some hard coded function of the RMB to hang up the phone.

Steam Profile

17. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 15:35 Krovven

Restarted the game for the 3rd (maybe 4th) time now, as I seem to keep losing my saves, and the first time was PS3.

My computer is getting old. It was not old when the game first came out however. But when I can run new games, with better graphics and higher resolutions than I can GTAIV, Rockstar fucked up royally. I've had to turn off shadows, a turn down most other option just to be able to have a barely playable framerate at 1360x768 and I still get choppy graphics and big swings in framerate.

I have a Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz...This game should not require a Quad core, and as I've been saying since GTAIV came out on PC, it's ridiculous for a PC game to be CPU heavy instead of GPU heavy.

16. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 13:07 jimnms

Beamer wrote on May 29, 2011, 11:26:
Fourthed.

I played up to around the time you take someone on a date, so maybe an hour or two tops. I was so frustrated with the cousin and so perplexed at the amount of time spent creating an in-game internet that just wasted your time. From what everyone told me the game just got more like that, not less, and I gave up.

For every 10 minutes of action in the game it felt like you had to do 10 minutes of chores. Grinding, maybe you could call it.

Why would I waste so much time doing such frustrating activities for some fun when I can just grab a game that's all-around fun?

You pretty much didn't play the game at all. The First Date mission is still in the "tutorial" stage of the game, and is the only date/friend activity you have to do. You don't really even have to go on the date, you can do something to piss her off and end the date.

The friend activities are also completely optional. You only have to do them if you want to unlock their "perk." The only one I bother with is Jacob so I can get early access to cheap weapons. You don't even have to do a friend activity, just do his missions and it he will like you enough, but it's faster to take him to Cluck-n-Bell a couple of times. After you unlock their perk, when they call just accept it, then turn around and cancel the plans and their status remains unchanged.

Once the story gets going, the missions get better; bigger and more gun battles, car chases etc. It's more challenging now that I'm playing with a car realism mod. The one I'm using modifies all of the cars to handle more like the real world cars they're designed on. It also makes the cars more fragile, but I found I was still able to drive away from an crash that would have totaled a real car. I wanted more of a challenge, so I used a car editor and turned up the damage multiplier to around 3x. That makes car chases much more challenging and rewarding.

I find that the game is a good stress reliever too. I sometimes fire it up to let off steam after a bad or frustrating day. I'll go load up on weapons and ammo and just go all out on a murdering rampage. I managed to keep a 6-star wanted level for over an hour until I ran out of ammo and then I actually managed to escape.

The story missions are fun, but it's a big open sandbox world. Use your imagination and you'll find a lot of fun shit to do. What other game lets you go up and punch a cop?

Steam Profile

15. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 12:16 [VG]Reagle

I just played till the table dances.  

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

14. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 11:26 Beamer

Fourthed.

I played up to around the time you take someone on a date, so maybe an hour or two tops. I was so frustrated with the cousin and so perplexed at the amount of time spent creating an in-game internet that just wasted your time. From what everyone told me the game just got more like that, not less, and I gave up.

For every 10 minutes of action in the game it felt like you had to do 10 minutes of chores. Grinding, maybe you could call it.

Why would I waste so much time doing such frustrating activities for some fun when I can just grab a game that's all-around fun?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 07:22 space captain

Elf Shot The Food wrote on May 29, 2011, 00:51:
That's quite an accomplishment.

It almost makes me want to play GTA IV again, but then I remember how boring that game was.

thirded

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 07:15 Dmitri_M

Elf Shot The Food wrote on May 29, 2011, 00:51:
It almost makes me want to play GTA IV again, but then I remember how boring that game was.

True that

11. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 29, 2011, 00:51 Elf Shot The Food

That's quite an accomplishment.

10. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 21:50 nin

Wish they'd hurry up and announce GTA5. Even if it's years away, I can at least put it on the radar.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 17:15 xXBatmanXx

Played through on PC 2x.
Played through on xbox 360 2x.

Played the DLC on both systems.

This makes me want to play through again.
I love living in Liberty City.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 17:03 The Half Elf

Actually post patches and drivers for the game increased performance a great deal, but at the same time you need a respectable rig as well.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 16:12 DG

Quboid wrote on May 28, 2011, 14:43:
I got this when it was released but I had to stop playing it because of the bad handling, bad shadows and bad performance. Have any of these changed?
Not really, but you get used to it. Not as "fun" as some of the earlier games, but at a minimum an incredible feat.

Personally I hated everything more than "5 meters" away being blurry more than anything.

(I played it on 360, maybe it's worse on PC though if screens are anything to go by the blurriness looks better)

6. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 15:19 Des

Wow this is truly amazing achievement.
Well deserved for a game so rich as GTA4

5. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 15:12 DangerDog

Been meaning to give this mod a try, GTA IV in first person view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Hm4K5_Pr0&feature=player_embedded

4. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 15:11 zincthallinide

I'd play this if there were something more to actually do than kill people and steal cars.. I might just to wander around and see all the stuff.. Somehow when a game is an 'obviously' different setting from 'real life' I don't mind killing things and blowing stuff up, but when I'm basically running around in a 'real life' city and shooting people I can't get into it. Then, the missions involve mafia type lameness where people are shooting each other based upon the most nonsensical of modern-style premises (THEYRE IN THE OTHER GANG SO THEY MUST DIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE) and.. eh. I don't care if Nico gets shot in the brains or whatever. The main characters in all the GTA games are all enormous losers  

3. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 14:43 Quboid

I got this when it was released but I had to stop playing it because of the bad handling, bad shadows and bad performance. Have any of these changed?  

- Quboid

2. Re: GTA4 Street Views May 28, 2011, 14:32 MuzixMon

This is an incredible helpful tool for this game. It's just a good example of just how vast GTA4 was. One of my favorite games of all time and now I just might start playing it again because of this map! The developers should hire these guys to do the exact same thing for the GTA5 map. It would be a big hit that's for sure!  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo