Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed

USATODAY.com has details on Spec Ops "survival mode" in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, the upcoming military shooter sequel (thanks Computer and Video Games). Here's a bit on that:

As we dispatched ever-increasing waves of enemies, I discarded my pistol for a shotgun. Rubin passed me some in-game currency and I bought and installed a turret to keep the evildoers at bay, while I watched for attack dogs.

After a few waves, the attack dogs became suicide bomber dogs that exploded a few seconds after you shot them. The next wave brought the kamikaze soldiers who exploded similarly.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 17:23 Beamer

Remember when the community made maps and those maps were so damn good that they became standard maps on most servers?

My experiences were never that good. Primarily I remember signing onto a server just as it switches from a map I have to one I don't, spending 5-10 minutes downloading the map from the server, and discovering the map is either completely moronically laid out, just two rooms with one chokepoint, made primarily for spawn-camping, done in minature, full of purple missing-texture checkboxes, or all of the above.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 13:10 Jono

Space Captain: Yes! Finally someone who understands me
But I still don't get why people boy a game and plays it for hundreds of hours. Then the studio tries to release paid content they get all rightious about how it's a moral obligation that all related content should be free. Did the original game shrink on you when the DLC was released?

16. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 12:26 ColoradoHoudini

Remember when the community made maps and those maps were so damn good that they became standard maps on most servers?
You could even go out and get the highest rated maps via a map pack from a site.

I want those days again

15. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 12:02 Beamer

Even I can't defend the map packs.

I put probably 70 hours into both MW and MW2 on the Xbox multiplayer. Wouldn't even think about buying the additional maps. $2 per map would be my price limit, and even then I'd be annoyed.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 11:09 xXBatmanXx

Jono wrote on May 28, 2011, 03:20:
I assume you go to work every day for free
Actually I always find it amazing that whenever game developers try a different way of charging for their services they get called "greedy schmucks" or something such. In my experience game development is one of the hardest businesses to actually make a living from. Which is why most smaller studios eventually needs financing from one of the large publishers. Low pay, high risk, high profile if you succeed but many are called and few are chosen..

You can't be serious?
Charging $60.00 for a game then putting out (2) 15.00 "map packs"?

Then doing this every year with little to no effort into the next game?

It is getting as bad as Madden and Tiger Woods games.

If they cared about their customer's even HALF of what you think they do - they would release all tools the day of game released. Then, if they thought their shit didn't stink, they would still release map packs - but something tells me no one would buy them, since you only get 6 maps with a "new" game and then they charge you for 3 more. The community would tear these studios apart as far as what can be done with a game - and that is what they are afraid of.

Leave the paid DLC for the consoles, but don't stifle pc gaming because of consoles.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: hmmmm May 28, 2011, 10:24 Jackplug

Shataan wrote on May 28, 2011, 09:59:
Let`s see. We need gimmicks to set our game apart from everyone elses. How bout? Kamikaze Soldiers and Exploding dogs!!!??? Yeah that`s the ticket!!! *yawn*

I agree with you, they are trying to come up with something different cos their engine is the old one and wont be able to compete with Frost v2. After watchin their video it just reminded me of the old one, huge explosions and lots of scripted vehicles, shame they wont be able to drive/fly em unlike BF3.

As for getting dedicated servers, dont make me laugh as it be the same old crap as before..

12. hmmmm May 28, 2011, 09:59 Shataan

Let`s see. We need gimmicks to set our game apart from everyone elses. How bout? Kamikaze Soldiers and Exploding dogs!!!??? Yeah that`s the ticket!!! *yawn*  

11. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 09:16 space captain

Jono wrote on May 28, 2011, 03:20:
In my experience game development is one of the hardest businesses to actually make a living from. Which is why most smaller studios eventually needs financing from one of the large publishers. Low pay, high risk, high profile if you succeed but many are called and few are chosen..

you poor, poor man - you deserve a nobel prize for your heroic efforts at making the world a better place through video game development, by sacrificing your own economic welfare for the good of the people

Rolleyes

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 05:27 Doombringer

The issue is that there is no standard for a value-added product here. Some CoDs came with a zombie/survival mode, some do not. With that inconsistency, it isn't surprising that gamers would want more value from the product, included in the purchase price, as some titles in the series have already provided.  

9. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 03:20 Jono

I assume you go to work every day for free
Actually I always find it amazing that whenever game developers try a different way of charging for their services they get called "greedy schmucks" or something such. In my experience game development is one of the hardest businesses to actually make a living from. Which is why most smaller studios eventually needs financing from one of the large publishers. Low pay, high risk, high profile if you succeed but many are called and few are chosen..

8. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 02:24 Xirix

Any plans for dedicated servers this time?  

7. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 28, 2011, 00:21 spindoctor

Ventura wrote on May 27, 2011, 21:20:
This is obviously their take at having something like Treyarch's zombie mode, but nevertheless, I could see me getting a great deal of fun out of this one.

I personally hope they focus more on the regular Spec Ops missions instead of this tired 'waves of enemies' concept. The proper Spec Ops missions were one of the best parts of MW2.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

6. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 27, 2011, 23:08 BurntSoul

The strange thing that made me do a double-take was the phrase 'in-game currency'. This immediately translated in my mind to 'microtransactions' and 'flagshipped', then, 'no, people will buyit/fall for it anyway'. Of course, it doesn't mean anything. It was just word association...  

5. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 27, 2011, 22:39 MajorD

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 27, 2011, 21:26:
Could have just added this for free into any of the last 8 games they have made of the same type....

Knowing these greedy shmucks, it will probably be DLC that you have to pay for a few months after the game launches, but they just didn't disclose that yet. ;^)

On top of that they won't support their game, or fans for that matter, by coming out with patches to deter all the hacker weenies, like that crap they pulled with MW2. What a F&$K story that was/is!!!

4. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 27, 2011, 21:34 Kythlyn

...suicide bomber dogs? ...  

3. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 27, 2011, 21:26 xXBatmanXx

Could have just added this for free into any of the last 8 games they have made of the same type....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 27, 2011, 21:20 Ventura

This is obviously their take at having something like Treyarch's zombie mode, but nevertheless, I could see me getting a great deal of fun out of this one.  

1. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode Detailed May 27, 2011, 20:55 BurntSoul

Survival mode sounds just like out of Serious Sam, or it's the zombie co-op mode in new clothes.

Is this a good thing?

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo