Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed

The Witcher Website announces the new patch is now available for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, updating the RPG sequel to version 1.1, offering performance improvements, bug fixes, and "non-problematic" installation of the free DLC for the game (the patch actually includes "Troll Trouble" free DLC). In an unexpected development, the patch also removes the DRM from all versions of the game (the edition purchased through GOG.com had no DRM from the start). They offer the patch as a manual download, saying this will not download through the auto-patching system from the game launcher. There are several patches for different editions and localizations of the game, and some or all of these are mirrored on AtomicGamer Gamer's Hell, PC Games Forever, and The Patches Scrolls. Update: The Steam version of the update is now automatically available. Here's word:

Adam Badowski, CD Projekt RED Development Director, commented, “Our goal is to make our fans and customers happy and to reward them for buying our game and DRM schemes does not support our philosophy as they might create obstacles for users of legally bought copies. Our approach to countering piracy is to incorporate superior value in the legal version. This means it has to be superior in every respect: less troublesome to use and install, with full support, and with access to additional content and services. So, we felt keeping the DRM would mainly hurt our legitimate users. This is completely in line with what we said before the release of The Witcher 2. We felt DRM was necessary to prevent the game being pirated and leaked before release. This purpose has been served, so we are pleased to let our users enjoy the full freedom of game usage they deserve.”

Badowski also explained CD Projekt RED’s stance on DRM from another perspective, "It’s important to remember that the PC platform is far more complex than consoles. DRM adds another layer of complication and potential problems. We saw this clearly in our game. Pre-release tests showed only small performance differences compared to the DRM-free (GOG.com) versions. We were unpleasantly surprised when some of our fans reported much larger differences, up to 30% lower framerates. This was another clear signal that we had to remove DRM as soon as possible – the quality of our users’ gameplay experience is absolutely our number one priority!"

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 29, 2011, 06:13 Eldaron Imotholin

That is indeed what will happen, my confused friend. Haha!

Geralt said "Handle them with care. They're worth a fortune." or something like that, which was the point he entrusted his weapons to the guard.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 28, 2011, 13:11 Paranoid Jack

That was it for the most part. I figured it out just minutes after posting, thanks. Crazy how the game runs smooth at maxed settings but runs like shit on lower settings. I've had this happen before with other games using other Nvidia based cards too. Lower res textures are slower to process thru the card than high res textures.

Anyway, the other issue may be a bug. During the Indecent Proposal quest I get caught trying to sneak past the gaurds. So when I reload a save (all the saves from that area) I'm missing my equipment. Both swords and all thrown weapons (bombs & such) have been removed from the saves.

I'm trying to get past this since it's become somewhat of an irritation. Not to mention I may just mod the item weights away... that is getting annoying too.

edit: Too funny. I hadn't played in a few days and forgot the gate gaurd asked for my weapons before allowing me to enter. Though it didn't seem all that clear now that I think about it since Roche showed up and the conversation was sidetracked. I have to assume Geralt gave them up and will get them back upon leaving.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2011, 19:50.

58. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 28, 2011, 06:32 Eldaron Imotholin

Paranoid Jack wrote on May 27, 2011, 22:02:
I was having very little trouble (only one crash to desktop) running the game on the highest settings before installing this patch now the game is running like shit plus exiting to the menu and/or loading a game takes ten times longer. If you don't need the patch don't install it...

The video options have been reset after the patch has been applied. I'm sure you realized that, but are you also sure you customized your video options exactly the way you did before you applied the patch? I did, and I'm not noticing any downgrades.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

57. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 22:02 Paranoid Jack

I was having very little trouble (only one crash to desktop) running the game on the highest settings before installing this patch now the game is running like shit plus exiting to the menu and/or loading a game takes ten times longer. If you don't need the patch don't install it...  

56. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 19:04 Krovven

avianflu wrote on May 27, 2011, 12:30:
so I _do_ suspect they sat around a table and said it is easier to remove the DRM than solve the long load times for the DRM version of the game.

I suspect it was more of a phone call to someone at Atari with a statement of...

'Basically all the versions with DRM are causing problems, but the GoG release with no DRM is running fine. So you can either pay us for the dev costs to fix the problems caused by your DRM, or we can patch it out entirely. Your choice.'

Next step - would be nice if they consolidate all game versions into one, so there arent 4 different versions of patches being released.

55. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 12:39 Verno

Can you link to the source of those links? I mean where do these links come from? Are they are the witcher site?

They are links from the CDN that CD Projekt uses, not warez or something.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

54. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 12:30 avianflu

it is surprising DRM was removed so very quickly after release, so I _do_ suspect they sat around a table and said it is easier to remove the DRM than solve the long load times for the DRM version of the game. To call the game makers inept though, is pretty rough -- cant agree there.  

53. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 12:14 Mercenar

These links looks unofficial but they are official.

If you go to the official site, and then community tab, you have a post where they give 6 email address to send a mail to, to receive the link where to download the DLC.

These are the links I got from those mails !

52. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 11:49 nin

Waiting for Blue to edit post in 3...2...1...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

51. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 11:48 Overon

Mercenar wrote on May 27, 2011, 11:44:
The six DLC I speak of are here :

http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/merchant.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/roche_jacket.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/magical_suit.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/swordsman_suit.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/dlc_finishers.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/alchemy_suit.exe

After installing all of these (you must first install 1.1 patch), you load your save, and you get messages that you collected a list of stuff, these are the DLC items, right in your bag !

The mysterious merchant is in the first city after the prologue, and you can buy a replacement silver sword for 200 orins, easy money !
Can you link to the source of those links? I mean where do these links come from? Are they are the witcher site?

50. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 11:44 Mercenar

The six DLC I speak of are here :

http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/merchant.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/roche_jacket.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/magical_suit.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/swordsman_suit.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/dlc_finishers.exe
http://wpc.420c.edgecastcdn.net/00420C/files/InstalDLC/alchemy_suit.exe

After installing all of these (you must first install 1.1 patch), you load your save, and you get messages that you collected a list of stuff, these are the DLC items, right in your bag !

The mysterious merchant is in the first city after the prologue, and you can buy a replacement silver sword for 200 orins, easy money !

49. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 10:06 Overon

Mercenar wrote on May 27, 2011, 06:59:
The DRM was removed by the latest patch for the witcher 1 also.

Now DRM removed in the FIRST patch for witcher 2 ? Whoohoo !

And for your info guys, if you go to the community page of the game, you can access 6 other FREE DLC for the game, other than the Troll DLC included in the patch 1.1.

These DLC adds a merchant, a magical armor with a nice black hood for your head, some potions, and stuff.
Where and how do I get this DLC?

48. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 10:02 Overon

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 26, 2011, 22:43:
Overon wrote on May 26, 2011, 20:22:
Yes I found the same thread. That me replying in that thread. I turned off the real time protection on Microsoft Security Essentials and it still gives me the same error.

Also if I am to put patcher_gog.exe into an exclusion list which exclusion list do I put it into?
Delete any existing DLC you have. Especially the troll.dlc/troll.dzip file. That should allow you to patch. The patcher checks all DLC, if it finds another version(or the corrupt one with bad CRC) the patcher will fail to install the update.
I already looked for troll.dlc and troll.dzip and deleted them. The problem continues. I sent an email to gog support about it.

47. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 07:30 Mercenar

We can read on the official website today :

Then, by the end of next week you can expect some more free stuff available online. Stay tuned, especially for our online conference scheduled for the 2nd of June. Exciting new announcements are coming!

So more free DLC coming soon \o/

46. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 06:59 Mercenar

The DRM was removed by the latest patch for the witcher 1 also.

Now DRM removed in the FIRST patch for witcher 2 ? Whoohoo !

And for your info guys, if you go to the community page of the game, you can access 6 other FREE DLC for the game, other than the Troll DLC included in the patch 1.1.

These DLC adds a merchant, a magical armor with a nice black hood for your head, some potions, and stuff.

45. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 06:58 Kajetan

CJ_Parker wrote on May 27, 2011, 06:44:
You guys do realize that the only reason they dropped the DRM is because they were too incompetent to fix the performance issues that were caused by the DRM, right? They didn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts or to treat their customers right. Get a clue plz.
Its you, who has no clue. CDPR sabotaged Securom in the retail builds, so that they had an official reason to remove it only ten days after release

44. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 06:44 CJ_Parker

You guys do realize that the only reason they dropped the DRM is because they were too incompetent to fix the performance issues that were caused by the DRM, right? They didn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts or to treat their customers right. Get a clue plz.

43. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 27, 2011, 02:22 Creston

*applauds*

These guys are awesome.

"Here's our goal with DRM: To prevent leaks before release. We've achieved that goal, therefore, we no longer need DRM."

Compare that to those cockfuckers at EA, who keep DRM on 15 month old games, which then fails, and their attitude is one of "Eh, they can figure it out on the tech support forum. Which we don't monitor."

Kudos, CD project. Sign me up for your next game. It's good to see devs treat their customers right.

Creston

42. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 23:50 ldonyo

Dev wrote on May 26, 2011, 23:08:
Wow, now thats impressive. Putting money where mouth is. And as they say, it stopped pre-release piracy. Plus if publishers insist on having DRM in the actual retail version, guess what? Its still there to fit the letter of whatever contracts they have. But the users can easily officially remove it.

Come on ubisoft, I bought settlers 7 complete pack (included all DLC) on this $20 sale, time to remove the DRM. It was a pain signing up for all that crap. The game is now what, over a year old?

It would be even more impressive if the patch didn't fail to install without uninstalling all mods and the game itself for so many people. This was a rush job and it shows. Yes, getting rid of the DRM for retail purchasers is nice, but hosing the direct-download purchasers to do so is not a plus.

41. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 23:08 Dev

Wow, now thats impressive. Putting money where mouth is. And as they say, it stopped pre-release piracy. Plus if publishers insist on having DRM in the actual retail version, guess what? Its still there to fit the letter of whatever contracts they have. But the users can easily officially remove it.

Come on ubisoft, I bought settlers 7 complete pack (included all DLC) on this $20 sale, time to remove the DRM. It was a pain signing up for all that crap. The game is now what, over a year old?

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo