Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive

OnLive is touting their playable demo for Red Faction: Armageddon as a "PC/Mac exclusive," as apparently the cloud-based service will be the only place Windows and OS X gamers will get to sample Volition's upcoming shooter sequel (thanks Kotaku). Those with a free OnLive membership can access the demo through this page, where they also link to the offer they previously announced of a free OnLive console with preorders of the game through their service.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 23:11 SectorEffector

Cutter wrote on May 26, 2011, 21:31:
Whatever, I'm waiting for the bargain bin on this anyway. Still, dumbass promo idea. Whoever OKed this at Volition needs to get shitcanned double quicktime.

You have plenty of titles to play before it's released to give you plenty time to wait for some actual reviews.

I'm guessing OnLive and its investors dropped a large sum to stir up more registrations to their site.

Yea I don't like it either, I can only imagine... Releasing a demo for Direct2Drive or to Rapidshare users only would literally make me rofl.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2011, 14:01.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 21:31 Cutter

Whatever, I'm waiting for the bargain bin on this anyway. Still, dumbass promo idea. Whoever OKed this at Volition needs to get shitcanned double quicktime.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 20:52 SectorEffector

Jdrez wrote on May 26, 2011, 20:13:
No big loss. The last two RF games have been crap.

Guerilla wasn't that fantastic, but the GEO Mod did more than make up for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

13. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 20:13 Jdrez

No big loss. The last two RF games have been crap.  

12. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 16:30 WyldKat

Verno wrote on May 26, 2011, 15:44:
deadearth wrote on May 26, 2011, 15:32:

You're not going to buy the game because the demo of said game is an onLive exclusive? Would you have preferred no demo at all?

It's not really worthwhile to demo it on someone elses machine, generally PC purchasers are trying to validate it runs fine on their rig without any issues and determine if they like the game.

^- Very good response, that.

11. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 16:04 Wowbagger_TIP

It's retarded as hell to intentionally limit the distribution of a game demo. I hope they got a lot of cash for it. They sure aren't getting mine.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 16:03 SpectralMeat

StingingVelvet wrote on May 26, 2011, 16:01:
I actually like the idea of using streaming services for demos. No downloads, no install and no tweaking for demos, just launch and check out the gameplay. Makes sense to me.

It is not only that, OnLive is not available everywhere. So by going exclusive with the demo to OnLive, they eliminate people who have no access to it, like myself. Why make it exclusive? Let everyone try the demo whatever way they want to. If OnLive is your thing then fine don't download it, but that way the consumer decides how they want to experience the demo at least.

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 16:02 Verno

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 26, 2011, 15:53:
As others did, I tried the demo on Xbox Live a while ago. If that demo is in any way representative of the game as a whole, don't feel bad for missing it. It's not good. I thought Red Faction Guerrilla was one of the most fun games in years but this one looks like Dead Space dumbed down to dudebro level.

Yeah well put Para, it was just so claustrophobic and frankly the gameplay wasn't all that interesting, generic third person stuff with more variety in the weapons than usual. RFG was very open and freeform so this was a big step backward. If it's going to be a more directed experience with less open gameplay then fine but it should at least be worthwhile and the demo didn't make the case for the drastic changes. I don't know if it supposedly opens up later or not, I haven't really been following development but for their sake I hope they have more to offer than tunneled third person action game.

I know others will say demos are used to check out how the game runs on your machine, but since honestly in 20+ years I have never had a problem running a game on my machine that isn't a big thing for me.

I'm sure that's the case for most knowledgeable PC gamers but one of the most common things seen in message boards for PC games is people posting specs and asking if it will run or saying "I hope this runs on my machine". I'm also not sure running 720p low detail versions of demos is necessarily going to always provide people with the best way to experience a game, it doesn't really play up to PC platform strengths. I like the idea of OnLive in some ways but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I do agree with you that as far as distribution methods go it is definitely the least complex logistically and offers some ease of use, I just wish that didn't have such drastic downsides.

Regardless of where people land on OnLive as a service or demos in general it is beyond silly to limit a demo to a particular market segment and especially on an open platform like the PC.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2011, 16:20.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

8. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 16:01 StingingVelvet

I actually like the idea of using streaming services for demos. No downloads, no install and no tweaking for demos, just launch and check out the gameplay. Makes sense to me.

I know others will say demos are used to check out how the game runs on your machine, but since honestly in 20+ years I have never had a problem running a game on my machine that isn't a big thing for me.

7. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 15:53 Parallax Abstraction

As others did, I tried the demo on Xbox Live a while ago. If that demo is in any way representative of the game as a whole, don't feel bad for missing it. It's not good. I thought Red Faction Guerrilla was one of the most fun games in years but this one looks like Dead Space dumbed down to dudebro level.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

6. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 15:52 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on May 26, 2011, 15:44:
The demo has been on XBL for awhile anyway and people aren't missing much, the demo had some interesting gameplay mechanics with the rebuilding beam thing but I wasn't a fun of the repetitive, underground environments.
Yeah same way I felt about it. Controls felt sluggish, the voice acting was terrible, and overall the demo felt kind of boring.

I've replayed it a few times at different times to make sure it wasn't just me being in the bad mood when I've tried it but felt the same way about it.

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 15:49 NKD

This is the stupidest shit I've seen in years.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

4. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 15:44 Verno

deadearth wrote on May 26, 2011, 15:32:

You're not going to buy the game because the demo of said game is an onLive exclusive? Would you have preferred no demo at all?

It's not really worthwhile to demo it on someone elses machine, generally PC purchasers are trying to validate it runs fine on their rig without any issues and determine if they like the game. OnLive only provides the answer to one of those questions and even that is iffy considering the way a game looks and runs can affect your enjoyment of the gameplay itself. I don't have a problem with OnLive offering a demo for the game and I doubt many others would either, choice is a wonderful thing. I do have a beef with it being exclusive, the PC gaming industry has been hurt enough by bought exclusives and it's simply not in consumers best interests.

The demo has been on XBL for awhile anyway and people aren't missing much, the demo had some interesting gameplay mechanics with the rebuilding beam thing but I wasn't a fan of the repetitive, underground environments nor very impressed with the rest of it.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2011, 15:51.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

3. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 15:32 jdreyer

I used to play demos to figure out if I liked a game, but these days, I just read the review and wait for the Steam sale. No big loss for me if this is an OnLive exclusive.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 15:32 deadearth

Drezden wrote on May 26, 2011, 15:27:
Grats. Lost a purchaser. Go F yourselves.

1. Re: Red Faction: Armageddon Demo an OnLive Exclusive May 26, 2011, 15:27 Trevellian

Grats. Lost a purchaser. Go F yourselves.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo