Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse

Frozen Synapse is now available from the Frozen Synapse Website and Matrix Games, as was promised earlier this week. There is also an extensive The Making Of Frozen Synapse feature on SMTG (thanks Cliffski) with all sorts of background and other details about this indie simultaneous turn-based strategy game. Here's a bit from the release announcement:

"Each match immediately places you in an intense tactical situation: there's no waiting around for the fun part. Blast a hole in a wall with a rocket and then send in your close-range units, or take a stealthy approach and set up cover with a sniper: your approach is entirely down to your own creativity. If you can predict your opponent's moves, you can win the match: this game has been crafted so that superior tactics will triumph! Once you've outwitted your opponent with a series of perfect turns, watch your Global Ranking climb and export the results to YouTube instantly!

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 22:35 Wowbagger_TIP

Looks pretty awesome. I'm definitely a fan of tactical games like this. Unfortunately, after Portal 2 and Witcher 2, my game budget is exhausted at the moment. Got DX:HR coming up in August, which will likely be a full-price purchase for me too, so this may have to wait until fall. Maybe it'll be on sale by then.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 16:03 StingingVelvet

This game looks fun but I am not a fan of the genre enough to pay $20 for it. I look forward to getting it in a sale someday.  

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 15:50 ASeven

Dev wrote on May 26, 2011, 15:01:
Pretty sure I'll be picking this up.
If you look at their page, they have a setup where when you purchase you can get steam keys for no extra charge to activate it on steam (which keeps it auto updated). Thats what I'm interested in.

I can attest that, I pre-ordered this long ago and today I activated this on Steam, and to make sure my standalone version was also running I closed Steam and then accessed the game through the standalone installation without a problem.

This game is really well worth it if you love games like Laser Squad, XCOM but more complex and with fun multiplayer aspects.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 15:21 Jow

grabbed. I'm a sucker for this indie stuff.  

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 15:01 Dev

Pretty sure I'll be picking this up.
If you look at their page, they have a setup where when you purchase you can get steam keys for no extra charge to activate it on steam (which keeps it auto updated). Thats what I'm interested in.

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 14:48 Jow

I'm intrigued by this, especially with the "free copy for a friend" deal.  

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 14:01 LittleMe

What is amazing to me about this game is the whole online aspect. Don't know of any game doing that before...  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 12:14 Dirwulf

Someone remake Jagged Alliance please...properly...

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 12:10 Bumpy

Looks similar to Xcom type gameplay in a simple Tron setting.

Very surprised there is no demo and thus keeps my interest from going much further than this sentence.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 11:30 Veinman

That looks really cool. I'll pick it up at some point.  

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 10:42 JaguarUSF

Halo wrote on May 26, 2011, 10:13:
ASeven wrote on May 26, 2011, 09:33:
simultaneous-resolution
I think I'm fine in just 1440 x 900.

NO! You must have the same resolution as the rest of us!

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 10:13 Halo

ASeven wrote on May 26, 2011, 09:33:
This is a great, great game. If you love simultaneous-resolution turn-based tactical games with lots of guns you'll love this one.

This is one of the indie gems of this year.

Game looks awesome but I think I'm fine in just 1440 x 900.

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 09:33 ASeven

This is a great, great game. If you love simultaneous-resolution turn-based tactical games with lots of guns you'll love this one.

This is one of the indie gems of this year.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo