Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Minecraft Beta

The Word of Notch announces the launch of the promised beta version 1.6 patch for Minecraft, the indie sensation that gamers dig so much. The update has extensive details on the changes and fixes in the patch, which requires both a client and a server update.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 19:17 Ventura

I bought it back during alpha for 10 bucks, and I've already more than gotten my moneys worth

I have too, and I've said that before.

I just wish they'd actually fire it up every once in a while. When you're working on 1.6 for over a month, and then you're up to 1.6.4 on the day of release, there's a problem. He hit like 1.6.2 inside of 10 minutes after having released 1.6. Did they release it and go "maybe we should have run it first?"

Correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't yet tried 1.6.4, only 1.6.3), but I still don't think the problem has been fixed where if you drop something, and then pick it up, you get one use from it, and then it's gone. Like I had a friend say, that's kinda a big bug.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 18:34 Kosumo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTxrGZGfNJs

Funny

16. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 17:55 ELITE

I'm kind of burned out on the lack of massive game play changes.

I'm now officially hooked on Terraria (how ever you spell it)

At first I thought it was the same as minecraft but 2d but now that I've played with it - it seems larger in scale of options as far as equipment and monsters.

You can't build a cpu but who gives a crap :-P

15. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 16:01 jacobvandy

Icewind wrote on May 26, 2011, 15:28:
Beta? didn't he say this was "released" and even had a big celebration over it?

....plus he charges for it.

"Beta" my ass.

You don't get it for free because it's a fully-functioning game, even if it's not feature-complete in the eyes of its creator. This is not a free trial of an MMO you get under the guise of playtesting, or a one-level demo of a shooter that they only call a "beta" so that you can't complain about it being shit. This is an actual beta of a game that is still a work-in-progress. At least he's honest with you about it.

Like many others who have bought and played Minecraft, I feel I've gotten 100 times more enjoyment for my money than I do most "AAA" games these days.

14. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 15:45 nyr27

I bought it back during alpha for 10 bucks, and I've already more than gotten my moneys worth. If he decided to stop updating and call it finished than so be it. The mod community will take over.

I'm just glad this type of creative/survival whatever gameplay has gotten the attention. There are many 'clones' that are going to take this genre to the next level with or without Minecraft (as long as Notch doesn't pull a dick move and sue them all out of existence, if that's even possible).

I hope this becomes a game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13pf8znXBFw

This comment was edited on May 26, 2011, 15:56.

13. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 15:39 nin

Icewind wrote on May 26, 2011, 15:28:

"Beta" my ass.

You mean this coming November, genius?
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/4423138657/11-11-11

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 15:28 Icewind

"Beta" my ass.

11. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 13:43 Graham

You don't need to White Knight™ for Notch. With over 20 million in the bank he can afford someone to do that professionally for him.

Actually, he could afford a whole QA team, if he wanted one. Why he chooses not to, and why his release schedule has ground to an incredibly slow rate despite the success of the game is a mystery really.

It's almost like he's not hungry anymore...

10. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 13:09 Quboid

Ventura wrote on May 26, 2011, 10:27:
I know you would think that it would be so easy to find all the bugs with 6 people compared to 2.3 million play testers. I mean come on bugs in a beta staged game give me a break here.

I think I met your brother over at minecraftforum.net mate. People always going down on Notch over there, alpha this, beta that. Heard the same tune a million times.

Tell me, what kinda excuse does the family have in store for when it comes out of beta? Just curious.

You're criticising a beta for having bugs, and then criticising the full release for having bugs in your head? I'd be very surprised if it didn't have bugs but at least wait until it's out, until you have a clue what it will have.

- Quboid

9. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 11:15 Halo

Ventura wrote on May 26, 2011, 10:27:
I know you would think that it would be so easy to find all the bugs with 6 people compared to 2.3 million play testers. I mean come on bugs in a beta staged game give me a break here.

I think I met your brother over at minecraftforum.net mate. People always going down on Notch over there, alpha this, beta that. Heard the same tune a million times.

Tell me, what kinda excuse does the family have in store for when it comes out of beta? Just curious.

Probably the same excuse large thousand+ employee companies have and still cannot fix a game? I didn't jump right into it the second it 1.6 came out, and by the time I do I'll take a wild guess that most will be corrected.

I guess I don't have drive to become upset that a piece of software with new features has bugs on it's release. Especially when the same patch fixes over 100 other bugs.

8. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 11:03 nin

I can't think of the last game I played that was bug free when it came out of beta...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 10:27 Ventura

6. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 10:26 J

I'm quite happy that he has so many eager beta testers who bring up the bugs so quickly, and that he then ploughs through them within a few hours.

It's beta. I accept that. And all things considered I'd be much happier if FO:NV was fixed up as quickly as Minecraft is.

Kudos to Notch!

5. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 10:18 Halo

Ventura wrote on May 26, 2011, 09:55:
Yeah he's up at 1.6.3 right now.

The bugfix updates have been coming kinda quick, which is nice, but there's a big problem internally with that company when 1.6 needs so many quick fixes right out of the gate.

He's not done too, he just twittered about a severe cpu hog bug that they're still working on nailing. How do they not catch these things before release? There are what, half a dozen people working at Mojang now, does anybody there actually load up the game?

4. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 09:57 Vulkan

Every single 1.x release has had some horrible bug in it that breaks everything, thankfully Mojang is usually quick enough that they release 1.x.y and 1.x.z a couple of hours later.  

3. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 09:55 Ventura

Yeah he's up at 1.6.3 right now.

The bugfix updates have been coming kinda quick, which is nice, but there's a big problem internally with that company when 1.6 needs so many quick fixes right out of the gate.

He's not done too, he just twittered about a severe cpu hog bug that they're still working on nailing. How do they not catch these things before release? There are what, half a dozen people working at Mojang now, does anybody there actually load up the game?

2. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 09:36 J

1.6 also introduces some new bugs which Notch seems to be working on now.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history

1. Re: New Minecraft Beta May 26, 2011, 09:36 ASeven

"the promised beta version 1.6 patch for Minecraft, the indie sensation that gamers dig so much."

I see what you did there!

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo