Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Morning Consolidation May 26, 2011, 15:37 nin

Plus, the end of the Homicide desk was such an anti-climactic letdown that I was disappointed.

I just hit this last night, and agree it was flat.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 26, 2011, 14:46 Flatline

If there had been a strong narrative between the cases, tied together with strong personalities, the game would have worked wonderfully.

Noir stories don't concern themselves as much with the forensics of a mystery as the people involved. There are the barest threads of a story, but it's unfolding *way* too slowly. I lost interest.

I dig the sheer number of small nods to film noir though. I've caught multiple references to pretty much every major noir film including LA Confidential. I *really* want to say that the guy they cast as your partner in Vice looks so much like the Vice squad leader in LA Confidential it's scary. I kind of want to go back and figure out that guy's name to see if it's the same character.

However, for an adventure game (which is what this is), we need a stronger narrative. I just hit Vice, so maybe things pick up, but we really needed a stronger plot or sub-plot for the first half of the game. Plus, the end of the Homicide desk was such an anti-climactic letdown that I was disappointed.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 26, 2011, 14:35 Dirwulf

Verno wrote on May 26, 2011, 13:43:
Dirwulf wrote on May 26, 2011, 12:23:
7.5/10 at most. The 9/10 ratings are ridiculous. People have been sheppified into "OMG Facial motion capturezor". If you like doing the same thing over and over 21 times for cases and 40 times for street crimes, then by all means, give it a 9.

I played with all assistance off and vibrations off, I found that helped quite a bit. I tried it first with everything on and found that it became a game of simon says instead of logically using your brain to assist in solving the case.

I turned those off straight away. I can't imagine when a real detective is at a crime scene his hands start to vibrate when he gets near a clue. I picked up a lot of bottles and cigarette butts and cigarette packs, but after a while you start to realize what is trash and what is evidence.

Search a body: head, arms, pockets. Oh look, another folded piece of paper or ID. They really should have done more with searching bodies, and every body you searched was the same tired, roll the body over and stand over it animation. And the variety of evidence was pretty weak too. I guess maybe that has to do with the era as they really had no forensics back then.

Locations for the most part were set in order in your notebook. They should have mixed it up a little. I found myself going out of order just for the hell of it. You are pretty much led by the hand on where to go. You don't even have to drive if you don't want to. I drove to every location myself, though. Got the 197.4 miles achievement on the last case.

Even with the hints off, it got easy. Even the facial recognition was easy. And kind of creepy because they had to act so over the top so you could tell the difference between doubt and lie. It was like looking at someone with facial ticks half the time lol.

I did have fun, but its way overrated.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2011, 15:07.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 26, 2011, 13:43 Verno

Dirwulf wrote on May 26, 2011, 12:23:
7.5/10 at most. The 9/10 ratings are ridiculous. People have been sheppified into "OMG Facial motion capturezor". If you like doing the same thing over and over 21 times for cases and 40 times for street crimes, then by all means, give it a 9.

I tend to agree with you on some of what you said. There is a fair amount of repetition and while repetition by itself isn't necessarily a problem, it's a shame in a game with this much potential for variety. I really liked how the challenge and cases got varied up towards the end, it's unfortunate that the rest of the game didn't quite reach to that difficulty. I played with all assistance off and vibrations off, I found that helped quite a bit. I tried it first with everything on and found that it became a game of simon says instead of logically using your brain to assist in solving the case.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 26, 2011, 13:13 Krovven

If you like doing the same thing over and over 21 times

So like most games, you learn the mechanics and repeat them until the end of the game...SHOCKER!

1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 26, 2011, 12:23 Dirwulf

Meh...I rented LA Noire from Gamefly. Finished it with 25 hours of gameplay. Its highly overrated. Same shit over and over. The story and graphics are amazing, but the shallow gameplay really takes away from the potential of this game. I had fun, I finished it, but I will not pay for any DLC.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo