Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM

Capcom-Unity has details on the upcoming Windows edition of Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, explaining what to expect, since though Street Fighter IV was released for PCs, Super Street Fighter IV was not (thanks joao). They also offer system requirements and outline how DRM in the game will work, saying it will require both a Games for Windows LIVE account as well as a persistent internet connection, since "SFIV unfortunately was plagued by pirates and hackers that messed up leaderboards." Here's word on how this is supposed to work:

Now, on the security side of things, SFIV unfortunately was plagued by pirates and hackers that messed up leaderboards. To hopefully remedy that, SSFIV:AE will be making use of what is called SSA technology (similar to what we used in Dead Rising 2). Like Xbox Live, players will sign in when they launch the game. You must have a Games for Windows Live account (which is free) in order to get full access to the title. If you already have an Xbox Live silver or gold account, those would work too and your achievements would be added/displayed in your usual gamescore.

Inevitably the question is: if you happen to temporarily lose your connection in the middle of your session (letís say youíre working on combos in the training room or working on challenges), no problem. Youíll be able to keep doing what youíre doing until you come to a logical break point, like exiting to a menu, at which point youíll be asked to sign back in. Assuming your PC is back online, everything will continue as it should, just like on Xbox 360.

If you arenít signed in to an online GFWL profile, the offline mode has limited functionality. Obviously thereís no online play, access to replay channels or other online-centric features (and this is the part that keeps the online play secure from hackers or pirates). Additionally, you wonít be able to save any progress in challenges or settings, wonít have access to any DLC youíve purchased and all local play will be restricted to 15 of the 39 characters.

To answer a few other questions before they get asked:

There are no installation limits. The game is tied to the user account with the SSA mechanism. You can install it a zillion times and as long as youíre logged in on the associated account, youíre good to go.

Yes there is DLC supported. All of the costume packs from the console versions, going back to the original SFIV, will be made available via Games for Windows Live Marketplace. There is a caveat though: Steam users will not be using GFWL Marketplace to obtain DLC. Weíll provide more details on that wrinkle at a later date.

The GFWL services and functionality is the same regardless of whether you buy a physical disc or download via a digital delivery service. There is no other form of DRM on retail copies or most digital outlets. Steam and Impulse will be enabled to make use of their respective security solutions in addition to SSA.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 27, 2011, 15:07 shponglefan

My 'net connection is too unreliable for persistent connection to games. So eff that, no sale from me.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 16:43 Vazz

Beamer wrote on May 26, 2011, 09:36:

If Capcom and MS were serious about trying to give this game a chance on PC they would allow cross platform play of PC users vs console over gfwl/xbox live... why do they block it? I tell you why, because they dont want PC to actually potentially sell better. Nuff said, bye.

Uh... no.
Because XBL is an entirely walled-in experience. This is why it doesn't even have a web browser. Getting anything into XBL is a hassle because it isn't built to reach outside of its own little playground.

A very drastic overhaul is necessary to change any of this, and anything along those lines comes with certain security risks Microsoft wasn't originally willing to take. Remember, when XBL was created crossplatform wasn't a goal because no one much expected use for it.

Now? We'll see if such an overhaul comes with a new system. But it will cost them millions to make this change (just look how long it took them to do an overhaul that allowed more than 100 friends.) But if the PS3 is any indication there isn't much demand for crossplatform play. How many games take advantage of it? How many people actually care?

Is this really worth the money? If your job was on the line would you say "yes, I think investing millions and effort here is going to pay off in spades rather than putting it elsewhere!"
Nuff said, bye.
Blazblu: Calamity Trigger and Shadowrun allow pc gamers to play against xbox live players.

48. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 10:47 Ratty

I like to think console players (or their parents) will buy any old shit that comes along but PC players will know enough about the games they play that they'll say Hell No to this kind of thing.  

47. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 09:36 Beamer

If Capcom and MS were serious about trying to give this game a chance on PC they would allow cross platform play of PC users vs console over gfwl/xbox live... why do they block it? I tell you why, because they dont want PC to actually potentially sell better. Nuff said, bye.

Uh... no.
Because XBL is an entirely walled-in experience. This is why it doesn't even have a web browser. Getting anything into XBL is a hassle because it isn't built to reach outside of its own little playground.

A very drastic overhaul is necessary to change any of this, and anything along those lines comes with certain security risks Microsoft wasn't originally willing to take. Remember, when XBL was created crossplatform wasn't a goal because no one much expected use for it.

Now? We'll see if such an overhaul comes with a new system. But it will cost them millions to make this change (just look how long it took them to do an overhaul that allowed more than 100 friends.) But if the PS3 is any indication there isn't much demand for crossplatform play. How many games take advantage of it? How many people actually care?

Is this really worth the money? If your job was on the line would you say "yes, I think investing millions and effort here is going to pay off in spades rather than putting it elsewhere!"
Nuff said, bye.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

46. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 09:25 Overon

Persistent online connection is one thing that if I was desperate to play this I would. However Games for Windows Live is too horrible to bear for me. No sale.  

45. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 09:12 reisub

Such a shame. I was really looking forward to buying this. The reason given is obviously BS. Wouldn't even touch it on sale now.  

44. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 08:59 Parallax Abstraction

cliffski wrote on May 26, 2011, 08:12:
the amount of data that would need to be transferred would be trivial. laughably lower than just a few emails a day.

The amount that NEEDS to be transferred and the amount that WILL be transferred are very different things, particularly if this DRM is not developed by the most adept programmer. I seem to recall people reporting that AC2 was pushing 50K/sec+ consistently when it was released, though I never validated this myself because I didn't buy it on PC. Also, I'm not into paying full price for a game that the publisher can and will turn the servers off, rendering it unplayable at one point.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

43. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 08:52 Kajetan

Grooves wrote on May 26, 2011, 08:48:
How can supposedly smart people ...
Because they aren't?

42. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 08:48 Grooves

Seriously? Yet another company that refuses to learn the lessons of those that came before?

How can supposedly smart people in the industry continuously make such horrible blunders? All you did is guarantee a certain percentage of people that were going to buy the game now won't. It certainly won't entice someone who wasn't going to buy the game in the first place to buy it. So what do we have? A net loss in sales. Nice job.

41. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 08:38 KilrathiAce

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

40. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 08:12  cliffski 

the amount of data that would need to be transferred would be trivial. laughably lower than just a few emails a day.  
http://www.positech.co.uk

39. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 08:11 Kajetan

necrosis wrote on May 26, 2011, 07:42:
But for one to say GFWL is better than steam seriously needs their head checked. I have NEVER had any issue with Steam, ever!
From a technical point of view, Steam is about several dozens of lightyears superior to any other gaming service. No doubt!

But it still has DRM. No game installation without Steam, no game start without Steam, no restoring from backups without Steam. From that perspective Steam is as bad as any other DRM-infested crap on the market.

38. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 07:42 necrosis

entr0py wrote on May 26, 2011, 02:50:
Dev wrote on May 26, 2011, 00:40:
Maybe use steam next time instead of the *barf* GfWL. It limits you to 1 signin at a time, unlimited installs. It has ability to not unlock the game until a particular release day/time, etc.

While Steam VS GFWL isn't really the issue here, it does amaze me how people support Steam DRM. The biggest issues is that Steam requires periodical sign-ins, even in "offline" mode. Whereas GFWL never requires you to be online, and even allows you to create and play on offline accounts that require no user data or tracking.
For some reason I remember there was a game that REQUIRED a online profile in GFW.

But for one to say GFWL is better than steam seriously needs their head checked. I have NEVER had any issue with Steam, ever!

Even in offline mode. And that shit about periodic check ins? Friend of mine has a mackbook with windows installed. My Steam account was logged in offline mode fro nearly 8 months. It was only removed when steam stuff started coming out on mac and he got his own account.

Seriously. Read up on the bullshit that is Fallout 3. Read up on the fact if you have family members playing Live on 360 the PC version gets booted (and vice versa).

37. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 07:36 necrosis

Two words.

NO SALE

36. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 07:00 ASeven

This DRM may also prevent mods from being done on the game, something that is very thriving on the vanilla SF4.

Fuck you Capcom, with me you have a definite lost sale.

35. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 05:54 Titus

Still haven't bought (or pirated) a Ubisoft game after their retarded DRM scheme was introduced, despite buying most of their titles before. Thats about 8 sales missed till now.

Welcome to the list, Capcom.

34. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 05:25 Jackplug

Always on DRM and I need a windows shitty live account fuck off, i need a silver or a gold account to see my achievements and stuff. If I wanted a xbox i would of gotten one, but i refuse to have to pay more money just to play online.

This game is gonna end up in the bargin basement bin as soon as it comes out.

33. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 03:52 Paketep

Games for Windows Shit *AND* always on DRM?. What's wrong with these idiots?. Do they want to NOT sell so they can say "see?. PC gamers are just pirates, let's not release more games for them"?.

Fuck you, Capcom. Fuck you and your "we love PC" lies.

32. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 03:41 Prez

DRM or no DRM, personally I think Steam >>>>>>>>>> GFWL for a bunch of reasons. I also have never had to sign in on "Offline Mode"; in my experience it works just like GFWL's offline mode with the exception that Steam takes a while to default to it if there's no internet connection.

Having said that, if someone gifted me this piece of shit with its asinine DRM and its shitty GFWL requirement, I'd actually be insulted.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

31. Re: SSFIV AE Uses Always-On DRM May 26, 2011, 03:38 Warskull

entr0py wrote on May 26, 2011, 02:50:
Dev wrote on May 26, 2011, 00:40:
Maybe use steam next time instead of the *barf* GfWL. It limits you to 1 signin at a time, unlimited installs. It has ability to not unlock the game until a particular release day/time, etc.

While Steam VS GFWL isn't really the issue here, it does amaze me how people support Steam DRM. The biggest issues is that Steam requires periodical sign-ins, even in "offline" mode. Whereas GFWL never requires you to be online, and even allows you to create and play on offline accounts that require no user data or tracking.

Steam's DRM is transparent most of the time and in exchange for tolerating their DRM you get all the steam features, some of which are quite good.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo