Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report on the ten bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. Terraria
  2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition
  3. BRINK
  4. Portal 2
  5. Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts
  6. DiRT 3
  7. Singularity
  8. Worms Reloaded
  9. RIFT
  10. Call of Duty: Black Ops Escalation Content Pack

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 14:57 Tumbler

You need to give this game a chance if you play WoW or used to play WoW (use the 7-day free trial). At first I was not into it, but after a while I really started to enjoy it and am having a good time with it.

I tried the 7 day trial and put a good amount of time into it but the game never felt like I was actually in a place that was "alive". I felt like it was more like a ride where I did missions all the time and the game helped me move around the world with these missions but the world never changed. A certain battlefield was always there even after I completed my mission.

I could have still been in the tutorial area but I hope not... I want an MMO to put me into a world where people are living. I want to see users created cities and vendors selling stuff that is a real player behind it. Star Wars Galaxies did this very well. I felt like I was living in that world. I had a house, a shop, I could go visit other peoples houses/shops. (lotta small business owners running shops out of their houses...) Eve Online did this as well...to a fault.

Does Rift open up into a Sandbox game world at some point? Or does it stay mission driven to the end and there isn't much to do after that? Most MMO's are like this, they create a world, then create tons of little missions that are basically a path through the world, once you've taken the journey there isn't a reason to back to those areas.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 13:27 Dev

Fibrocyte wrote on May 23, 2011, 10:45:
I just started over the weekend -- got it for $25 from greenmangaming.com and am very happy with the purchase. I'm currently on Faemist which seems a little under-populated but I trust things will either pick up or they'll merge a few servers.
Alternatively, see blues posts for today, they announced they are going to do free character & guild transfers

34. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 10:45 Fibrocyte

Fion wrote on May 22, 2011, 18:18:
Nice to see Rift hit top 10 again. $30 sale has been fairly popular, there are a lot of new faces in the game.

I just started over the weekend -- got it for $25 from greenmangaming.com and am very happy with the purchase. I'm currently on Faemist which seems a little under-populated but I trust things will either pick up or they'll merge a few servers.

You need to give this game a chance if you play WoW or used to play WoW (use the 7-day free trial). At first I was not into it, but after a while I really started to enjoy it and am having a good time with it.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 10:43 yuastnav

Sure, call me tasteless then.

I don't care. I do care about the fact that I'm having a load of fun with that, though.
Prior to that I was playing Just Cause 2 and Mount & Blade and those two gamers are really, really good and I'll still play Mount & Blade and will try to finish Just Cause 2 (I'm aiming for at least 50%, am at about 20% after 15 hours of playing or so) but when Terraria was released it basically blew everything else away for me.
It's such an addicting, awesome game (and addicting in the true sense of the word, I cannot remember the last time when I was glued to my PC and couldn't get myself to do something else).

32. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 10:38 Akuinnen

I have 82 hours into Terraria. It's worth the $10. It's nice to play a game that focuses on gameplay and not eyecandy or pressing A for something awesome to happen.  

31. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 08:20 Slashman

Jerykk wrote on May 23, 2011, 03:46:
However, we have to take into account that Terraria is only being sold on Steam while the Witcher is sold everywhere which dilutes its Steam numbers.

This is true. I certainly hope that Witcher 2 is selling best on GOG.

There were 1800 or so user reviews on GOG. Witcher 2 was listed in the second spot under the Witcher Enhanced Edition on the GOG front page. I don't know if GOG lists the games in order of sales though.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 08:06 CommunistHamster

That's pretty much the picture I get. Minecraft is neat and could be really good with proper development. From the devs tweets though, devving is the last thing on their minds.  

29. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 06:57 Dmitri_M

CommunistHamster wrote on May 23, 2011, 04:28:
From what I've heard, minecraft is still king of the aspie games since terraria actually has content, gameplay and systems, and requires less use of the IMAGINATION

So Terraria is an actual game as opposed to a lego set for people with disproportionally tiny heads, pipsqueak voices and way too much time on their pasty hands? Excuse the description. It's from realworld experience. A co-worker who plays minecraft.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 04:28 CommunistHamster

From what I've heard, minecraft is still king of the aspie games since terraria actually has content, gameplay and systems, and requires less use of the IMAGINATION to be fun.

I'll have to play it to be sure though.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 03:46 Jerykk

However, we have to take into account that Terraria is only being sold on Steam while the Witcher is sold everywhere which dilutes its Steam numbers.

This is true. I certainly hope that Witcher 2 is selling best on GOG.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 03:31 killer_roach

Icewind wrote on May 23, 2011, 01:02:
Terraria is another aspie game.

You have to be a tasteless gamer to enjoy that garbage.

As an Aspie, I should be offended... but I can't be. I just feel sorry for your incapacity for civility.

(And, to be honest, Terraria isn't really my sort of game, but I'm not going to be vindictive toward people who do get enjoyment out of it. That's their concern, not mine.)

25. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 03:30 Wetworks

Dev wrote on May 23, 2011, 00:51:
Doma wrote on May 23, 2011, 00:44:
Witcher 2 ftw
I'm impressed Terraria is beating out witcher 2 on release week. Since steam bases its top 10 on sales dollars, that means that more than FIVE TIMES the amount of Terraria copies sold than witcher 2 at a minimum to push it to #2 slot.

It's very impressive for such a small indie game. However, we have to take into account that Terraria is only being sold on Steam while the Witcher is sold everywhere which dilutes its Steam numbers.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 02:44 Dev

Icewind wrote on May 23, 2011, 01:02:

Or maybe burnt out on the yearly FPS sequels that suck more each year while growing more and more expensive and charging more for less content DLC. The obsolete ancient consoles that are holding back game development. Or perhaps it was a cheap $7.50 (4 pack) and well worth it given the time I've played it so far. Or perhaps having different tastes than you doesn't automatically mean tasteless (see previous post).

Or are you feeling so envious that the devs made the game in 6 months and making a nice profit, that you feel the need to throw out insults to mentally challenged Asperger sufferers as well as games?

I should stop feeding trolls.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 01:10 Sepharo

Slashman wrote on May 23, 2011, 00:56:
Witcher 2 ftw
I'll probably pick that up when a good sale hits. I enjoyed witcher 1 although I never finished it.

I'm impressed Terraria is beating out witcher 2 on release week. Since steam bases its top 10 on sales dollars, that means that more than FIVE TIMES the amount of Terraria copies sold than witcher 2 at a minimum to push it to #2 slot.

That's rather a depressing thought.

Hopefully GOG is having a way better time.

I can't bring myself to pick up Witcher 2 yet. I'm heading toward MCITP exams and the temptation would probably not let me ignore it if I owned it.

Well let's be generous and say 2 in every 11 Minecrafters are buying Terraria. That's a lot of dough.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 01:02 Icewind

21. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 00:56 Slashman

Witcher 2 ftw
I'll probably pick that up when a good sale hits. I enjoyed witcher 1 although I never finished it.

That's rather a depressing thought.

Hopefully GOG is having a way better time.

I can't bring myself to pick up Witcher 2 yet. I'm heading toward MCITP exams and the temptation would probably not let me ignore it if I owned it.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 00:51 Dev

Witcher 2 ftw

19. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 00:44 Doma

Witcher 2 ftw  

18. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 00:35 Dev

Dades wrote on May 23, 2011, 00:26:
Terraria is worth $10 but don't expect to be playing it for a long time like Minecraft if you're into it.
Thats entirely personal taste.
There's 2 people in this thread who responded and who are far more interested in it and/or have put more hours into it already than minecraft. Given the way I've been playing it, I'm going to be a 3rd person where thats the case. Including you there's 3 feeling the way you do.

I see this constantly in real life and the internet, including constantly here on blues. Someone's personal taste or experience and they think everyone has similar tastes and experiences. I'm sure I've been guilty of it too since its a very human thing to do.

I wrote a list of things I like better than minecraft in a previous post in this thread. I also think the devs did a better job of giving people optional things to go after (such as bosses, special gear, events, or special world features such as the dungeon) than minecraft.

This comment was edited on May 23, 2011, 00:54.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 May 23, 2011, 00:26 Dades

Terraria is worth $10 but don't expect to be playing it for a long time like Minecraft if you're into it.  

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo