Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better

NowGamer has a bit from the new print issue of Play magazine, where Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart comments on how a sequel to Alpha Protocol would improve upon the original, though he stresses they are not actually working on a follow-up to the espionage-themed RPG. "Perhaps it was not necessarily the job we did but there was something beyond the game – how it was represented or how it was sold or what people felt we promised them. Something went off-kilter there. So there’s another lesson to learn about communication," says Urquhart. "We’re not making Alpha Protocol 2 but I would make Alpha Protocol 2. To do a job like this, sometimes you have to be optimistic, you have to look to the future and say ‘We can do better.’ And I always believe that." Thanks VG247.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 24, 2011, 08:27 avianflu

The biggest constant issue with the combat is that ALL of the enemies would regularly leave cover and run right at you once you were spotted, making them easy pickings with a machine gun and a grenade. Didnt matter which area, the AI always always did this.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 23, 2011, 13:14 Wowbagger_TIP

It's the publishers responsibility in the end but Obsidian was given a very fair schedule for the scope of the game, they should share some blame here.
I don't know that we have enough information to say that. The game was very ambitious, and I think it largely succeeded in most respects. While the combat and stealth may not have been what people were expecting, I thought they were still pretty good. VtM:B caught flack for having that sort of combat too, but I still think it's a valid choice for that type of game.

Ultimately, the game needed some additional polishing that it didn't get, but it's far from being a bad game. A lot of the reviews were really unfair, and showed that the reviewer had no idea what the game was about or what they were doing, and didn't really give it a chance.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

20. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 23, 2011, 00:28 Dades

The game was delayed, yes. But unless the publisher ponies up the cash to do further refinement work (which SEGA didn't do)

There were two funded delays of the game. The last delay was strictly release schedule. It's the publishers responsibility in the end but Obsidian was given a very fair schedule for the scope of the game, they should share some blame here.

19. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 22, 2011, 18:16 banksie

Dades wrote on May 21, 2011, 21:32:
Alpha Protocol was delayed multiple times so they could get more time to polish the game, it seems unfair to blame Sega when Obsidian spent years working on the game. Finally it was delayed a last time so that it could release outside of heavy competition but ultimately word of mouth and reviews took their toll on sales very quickly. The game has excellent writing but not much else going for it.

The game was delayed, yes. But unless the publisher ponies up the cash to do further refinement work (which SEGA didn't do) then no refinement gets done despite there being extra time. If you check the interviews this game was on a very tight schedule and it tried some very ambitious things - the degree of flexibility in mission structure (being able to jet between the three major mission hubs at any time) and the flexibility of choice/consequence was amazing. Entire characters and missions could appear/disappear depending on the choices you made. Heck how NPCs interacted with you was often influenced by the choices you made both in the missions you had to take before getting there but also by choices made in missions you *might* have taken at that point.

I can understand why people had issues with aspects of the game but it is a crying shame this didn't sell at least moderately well. It did a lot right and really tried to push RPG storytelling ahead.

I'd love to see Mass Effect 3 take a few lessions from how Alpha Protocol handled choice/consequence.

18. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 22, 2011, 16:39 Jerykk

I didn't think the stealth was that bad. It certainly wasn't as good as stealth-focused games like Thief or Splinter Cell, but compared to other hybrid action/stealth/RPGs, it was pretty solid.  

17. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 22, 2011, 10:16 space captain

avianflu wrote on May 22, 2011, 10:01:
A+ story and dialog interface. Choices actually mattered.

D- combat and stealth. Just wretched.

Thing is though,I really, really enjoyed the story part of the game so I cant hate the game.

totally agree with this

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 22, 2011, 10:01 avianflu

A+ story and dialog interface. Choices actually mattered.

D- combat and stealth. Just wretched.

Thing is though,I really, really enjoyed the story part of the game so I cant hate the game.

15. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 22, 2011, 03:17 spindoctor

vrok wrote on May 21, 2011, 17:45:
Actually no. It was the job you did.

Yep.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

14. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 22, 2011, 01:19 Brumbek

Well, popular opinion be danged, I loved Alpha Protocol. I played it three times in a row and loved each playthrough. So to each his own I suppose...  

13. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 23:30 Lorcin

erm oh well - the only reason I can be sure I've played this is due to steam's history. Very bland, forgettable game doesn't get a sequel. I'd honestly rather they made Blood Stone 2,  

12. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 21:32 Dades

Acleacius wrote on May 21, 2011, 18:38:
They needed 3-6 more months, damn shame sega doesn't understand what AAA RPG actually means.

Alpha Protocol was delayed multiple times so they could get more time to polish the game, it seems unfair to blame Sega when Obsidian spent years working on the game. Finally it was delayed a last time so that it could release outside of heavy competition but ultimately word of mouth and reviews took their toll on sales very quickly. The game has excellent writing but not much else going for it.

11. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 20:51 JaguarUSF

WyldKat wrote on May 21, 2011, 20:08:
I enjoyed it, I just wish I could have made out with a female agent.

Fixed that for you.

10. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 20:08 WyldKat

I enjoyed it, I just wish I could have made a female agent.  

9. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 19:32 Ray Ban

I'm playing it for the third time right now. Reactive gameplay for teh win!  
"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

8. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 19:30 Jerykk

Like others, I enjoyed Alpha Protocol. It had some of the best implementations of choice and consequence I've ever seen, with almost every choice having some tangible, long-term consequence that affects gameplay.  

7. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 18:49 Wowbagger_TIP

The controls were rough in some areas, but certainly not to the point of being game-breaking. It was probably my favorite game of last year. I played through it 3 times in a row. Starting to want to play through it again already.

I just picked up Space Pirates and Zombies though, and that will probably keep me busy for a while. Seems like a cool little game that's being developed by 2 guys who apparently really loved Star Control 2, just like me

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

6. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 18:38 Acleacius

Excellent game Cheers

They needed 3-6 more months, damn shame sega doesn't understand what AAA RPG actually means.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

5. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 18:28 Bhruic

Yeah, honestly, I just couldn't get past the horrible controls. There might have been a good game there, but sadly I just couldn't manage to get to that point.  

4. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 18:17 Tainted

I found the whole setup and idea of it very appealing. But the gameplay itself was too awful to suffer through.

Glad I grabbed it for £4 from Steam rather than full price!

3. Re: Obsidian Not Making Alpha Protocol 2, But it Would Be Better May 21, 2011, 17:58 Prez

Totally loved Alpha Protocol, flaws and all. It needs a sequel.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo