Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted

Mostly harmless BioWare developer Alistair McNally tweets that they are staffing up to continue the Dragon Age RPG series with Dragon Age 3: "I'm looking for exceptional environment artists to join me at #BioWare Edmonton, Canada to work on #DragonAge3 #gamejobs #jobs #3D #artists." Thanks IGN.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 20:51 wtf_man

Dragon Age 3: Teh Dragonville Facebook Chronicles

... Puke

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 19:32 Mashiki Amiketo

Jonny wrote on May 20, 2011, 17:36:
They're in dire need of a decent dialogue writer as well. I've just finished Witcher 2 and Bioware should really be ashamed that a polish company for whom english is a second language should be able to have so much more natural and believable character interaction than a company writing in it's native language.
Well I'm gonna have to pay attention then, but to be honest I got into the prologue and had so much fun it took me nearly 7hrs to get through the very first bit. I did finish playing the first witcher, despite how much I didn't like the original version, the enhanced edition play-through I had I really enjoyed the game this second time though. Some of the environments were still kinda nagging me like the swamp, but otherwise I was pretty happy.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

28. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 18:31 Filling Cap

Flatline wrote on May 20, 2011, 17:09:
Yeah, there was a lot of terrain recycling in ME1 (and ME2, but ME1 was a worse offender). Some of it makes sense though. If I'm on a tiny cookie cutter outpost out in the middle of nowhere I don't expect a uniquely designed station: I expect something modular. Prefab modular construction makes sense in the Mass Effect universe, but doesn't in a fantasy setting.

It was an okay excuse, until you see that every race, government, and criminal syndicate seems to buy their (three?) prefabs from the same company.

27. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 18:16 Kxmode

Jonny wrote on May 20, 2011, 17:36:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 20, 2011, 15:11:
I'd say their more pressing issues include a story writer, a plotline reviewer, and a creative storyboard overseer. I'll be happy to fill any one of those jobs if they want to hire me.

They're in dire need of a decent dialogue writer as well. I've just finished Witcher 2 and Bioware should really be ashamed that a polish company for whom english is a second language should be able to have so much more natural and believable character interaction than a company writing in it's native language.

icanhascheezburger.com can cause brain damage and illiteracy.

26. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 17:36 Jonny

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 20, 2011, 15:11:
I'd say their more pressing issues include a story writer, a plotline reviewer, and a creative storyboard overseer. I'll be happy to fill any one of those jobs if they want to hire me.

25. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 17:34 DrEvil

nin wrote on May 20, 2011, 11:40:
Do YOU like talking/drinking/kissing with your helmet on?

Do YOU like pressing a single button over and over, and watching Teh Awsom happen?

Do YOU like padding your own review scores on Metacritic?

Join Bioware TODAY, and all this and more (18 hour work days) can be yours!

This post is full of WIN. (Although in fairness, I don't really believe it. The folks at Bioware are fine people that I've dealt with personally in the past.)

24. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 17:09 Flatline

Bhruic wrote on May 20, 2011, 12:41:
What they really need help at doing is not rehashing the crap out of the environments in the game

That definitely bothered me, but I was replaying Mass Effect earlier, and it struck me as odd that I don't remember hearing lots of the same complaints for it.

Every single "ship" mission used the same layout. All of the interior missions used one of I think two (possibly three?) different layouts. So when you are doing your 20th+ side mission, seeing the exact same layout started to get quite stale.

Was there the same cricisms of ME1 and I missed them, or did everyone give it a pass for some reason?

Yeah, there was a lot of terrain recycling in ME1 (and ME2, but ME1 was a worse offender). Some of it makes sense though. If I'm on a tiny cookie cutter outpost out in the middle of nowhere I don't expect a uniquely designed station: I expect something modular. Prefab modular construction makes sense in the Mass Effect universe, but doesn't in a fantasy setting.

23. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 15:39 Kxmode

What they need to do is hire me. I have experience with secret labs and making subjects run through them... for science! Oh and how can you deny combustible lemons? The military is scooping them up like flapjacks!

This comment was edited on May 20, 2011, 16:43.

22. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 15:11 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 14:45 Icewind

BioWare is the new Origin. Dragon Age 2 was their Ultima 8. It's done. They can't win back the community. The young kids just now entering the hobby who know no better will salivate over DA3 but the rest of us don't care.

Witcher 2 does what Dragon Age 2 don't, to steal an old Sega line. CD Projekt proved that they are better and their game,. even with all of its problems (Which are mostly minor) it greatly surpasses DA2, if not everything BioWare has done since Jade Empire.

Witcher 2

20. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 14:42 Filling Cap

Verno wrote on May 20, 2011, 12:15:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 20, 2011, 12:13:
Wow...from what I have read - they need A LOT OF HELP to make it NOT LIKE DA2.

What's sad is that they refuse to admit there is anything wrong with Dragon Age II. Every post mortem feature I've seen they basically shift the blame onto the fans or their schedule. They literally cannot see how flawed the game is and EA bought enough metacritic scores to justify their delusion.

A publicly-available post mortem isn't necessarily equivalent to the internal ones. The metascores (low 80s) are also nowhere near other Bioware titles (almost all in the 90s). I'm sure Bioware realizes they've goofed, but EA isn't always big on admitting these things. Also, whether the big execs allow anything to change (e.g. relax the release schedule, encourage and provide the budget hiring qualified designers/producers) is another matter altogether.

19. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 14:39 Verno

Kajetan wrote on May 20, 2011, 13:58:
Hasn't it already impact sales? Or was DA2 TEH big blockbuster game of the spring?

It sold a lot of units in the first week as can be expected but it didn't have the staying power of DA:O which continued to sell decently throughout its life cycle. Someone on Neogaf did an interesting sales chart awhile ago but I don't have it here at work, I'll post it when I get home later. I think all told DA:O did something like 3.6m units between all platforms and DA2 has so far done 2m confirmed sold, EA claims to have shipped another 2m units to retailers but considering the games continued absence or dropping placement on most sales charts I don't think those boxes are moving.

They basically tried to cash in on the name, thankfully I doubt the game is profitable after marketing and all other budgets have been met. Hopefully that sends the right message that they can't just crap out these games without a thought to the quality.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

18. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 13:59 Darks

Fion wrote on May 20, 2011, 12:55:
That definitely bothered me, but I was replaying Mass Effect earlier, and it struck me as odd that I don't remember hearing lots of the same complaints for it.

Every single "ship" mission used the same layout. All of the interior missions used one of I think two (possibly three?) different layouts. So when you are doing your 20th+ side mission, seeing the exact same layout started to get quite stale.

Was there the same cricisms of ME1 and I missed them, or did everyone give it a pass for some reason?

I remember quite a few complaining about this, myself included. But it was absolutely given a pass for one main reason, it was primarily a console game and repeating environments is not only accepted for console shooters, it is the norm. Thats why almost no console reviews of DA2 even mentioned the repeating environments. Or the waist high concrete walls that were placed in a staggered way in every hallway in the game, or a variety other things that bugged me about that game.

In the end though, repeating environments is only one of dozens of bad decisions in the development of DA2. I agree with Verno, not a one of them has ever owned up to what an absolute disaster DA2 was. Thats why I think they are taking on extra help with DA3, so they don't completely alienate their fans.

That and the fact that Witcher 2 is kicking their asses in this area of the game. Bioware had better get with the times and stop being lazy and get back to the basics or they will be known as another EA bought out failed experiment.

Speaking of W2 Environments, the Swamp area looks pretty incredible as does the entire game so far.

you actually feel like your in a real swamp, it just gives you chills when wading through it.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

17. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 13:58 Kajetan

StingingVelvet wrote on May 20, 2011, 13:24:
If Bioware rushes out yet another DA sequel then their reputation for quality will truly start to plummet, which will impact sales.
Hasn't it already impact sales? Or was DA2 TEH big blockbuster game of the spring?

16. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 13:24 StingingVelvet

If this comes out before Christmas 2013 they are truly idiots. I don't even just mean that from a quality perspective, that I will dislike the game. I mean that from a company perspective... if Bioware rushes out yet another DA sequel then their reputation for quality will truly start to plummet, which will impact sales.  

15. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 12:55 Dirwulf

nin wrote on May 20, 2011, 11:40:
Do YOU like talking/drinking/kissing with your helmet on?

I just want to point out that this is not the case in DAII. They actually made it so you see the face in all those instances. I know this was a pet peeve of Creston in ME.

14. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 12:55 Fion

I remember quite a few complaining about this, myself included. But it was absolutely given a pass for one main reason, it was primarily a console game and repeating environments is not only accepted for console shooters, it is the norm. Thats why almost no console reviews of DA2 even mentioned the repeating environments. Or the waist high concrete walls that were placed in a staggered way in every hallway in the game, or a variety other things that bugged me about that game.

In the end though, repeating environments is only one of dozens of bad decisions in the development of DA2. I agree with Verno, not a one of them has ever owned up to what an absolute disaster DA2 was. Thats why I think they are taking on extra help with DA3, so they don't completely alienate their fans.

13. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 12:47 Verno

Oh it was definitely bitched about. That and the auto-generated planets along with the Mako controls were like 90% of the complaints back then. Mass Effect got away with it because while it was shallow in some areas, it was deep and enjoyable in others. Dragon Age II is just an all around shallow experience in almost every aspect of its gameplay.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

12. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 12:41 Bhruic

What they really need help at doing is not rehashing the crap out of the environments in the game

11. Re: Dragon Age 3 Help Wanted May 20, 2011, 12:36 irontoes

Maybe they learned a lesson and it will be awesome!  

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo