Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return

Halo.Bungie.Org has further indications that rumors of Bungie working on an MMOFPS game called Destiny will prove true. They note that Podophobia Entertainment, formed by Harold Ryan and Martin O'Donnell, owns a trademark for the name Destiny, described as "[c]omputer game software downloadable from a global computer network." They also note a NeoGAF posting which points out that a symbol on a Bungie employee's shirt in a recent video from Penny Arcade matches the logo in the listing. Thanks Eurogamer.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 16:46 zirik

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2011, 14:18:
i dont see anyone saying its another 360 game.

If it's Halo it's another 360 game.
So saying it's Halo is saying it's a 360 game.

its just that bungie has not done anything as successful as halo

List of companies that have done anything as successful as Halo:
1) Blizzard
2) Infinity Ward
3) id (but not since Doom)
So it's a pretty high bar you're setting there.

i was not comparing it to other companies. we are just talking about bungie's capability to create new franchise. since the early 90s they have made two successful series. marathon on the mac and halo on the 360. halo borrowed a lot of its design elements from marathon. even the story has some parallels.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 15:09 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2011, 14:18:

Where does it say it's Halo. Bungie no longer owns it.

I believe they said they would be willing to collaborate with MS on the next one if they ever did one, but it would be up to MS.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 14:18 Beamer

its just that bungie has not done anything as successful as halo

List of companies that have done anything as successful as Halo:
1) Blizzard
2) Infinity Ward
3) id (but not since Doom)
So it's a pretty high bar you're setting there.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 13:46 zirik

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2011, 09:22:
So Bungie sacrificed an enormous chunk of money to be able to make something other than Halo for things other than the 360 and some of you think they're now making a Halo for the 360?

i dont see anyone saying its another 360 game. its just that bungie has not done anything as successful as halo. their track record has a very short list of games with little variety. aside from myth and that small experiment for a new graphics engine called oni, everything else was marathon and halo.

10. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 13:34 zirik

The Half Elf wrote on May 20, 2011, 07:06:
Yeah they NEVER did any other games besides Halo. Please ignore Myth and Oni.

oni is still sci-fi and was not successful. myth was lost to take 2 interactive after microsoft purchased bungie. myth 3 was not done by bungie. the myth series was not as successful as their cash cow halo so yes we can ignore both games.

9. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 09:22 Beamer

So Bungie sacrificed an enormous chunk of money to be able to make something other than Halo for things other than the 360 and some of you think they're now making a Halo for the 360?  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 08:39 kanniballl

SectorEffector wrote on May 20, 2011, 00:02:
If this game looks anything like Halo character design wise or if it's just Halo MMO then I sorta hate Bungie for not doing ANYTHING new and original after making infinite money on that last 8-9 years of cash cow.

Well, I believe MS owns the intellectual property rights to HALO now, so it couldn't be "Halo MMO" unless it was for MS.

Then again I doubt that could stop them from making the game based with a similar character design to Halo, such as power-armor characters in Halo, Section 8, Crysis, etc.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 07:51 Trevellian

SectorEffector wrote on May 20, 2011, 00:02:
If this game looks anything like Halo character design wise or if it's just Halo MMO then I sorta hate Bungie for not doing ANYTHING new and original after making infinite money on that last 8-9 years of cash cow.

Esp when there's a good tribes remake on its way, i know some planetsiders will jump on me for this.

It's like Cliffy hyping Bulletstorm and he has more money that about any dev and he makes that piece of shit.

Why would Planetsiders jump on you for that? I'm a hardcore Planetsider. But I played Tribes for years before Planetside came along. I want both. I want the new Tribes and I want Planetside 2 to finish up already. Half the Planetside players I know all played Tribes first.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

6. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 07:06 The Half Elf

Yeah they NEVER did any other games besides Halo. Please ignore Myth and Oni.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 06:30 InBlack

Titan anyone?  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 05:33 zirik

i dont think bungie is capable of doing anything other than halo type games. sci-fi is their specialty since the beginning when they started on the macintosh platform.  

3. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 20, 2011, 00:02 SectorEffector

Esp when there's a good tribes remake on its way, i know some planetsiders will jump on me for this.

It's like Cliffy hyping Bulletstorm and he has more money that about any dev and he makes that piece of shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

2. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 19, 2011, 23:47 dubfanatic

I'm not surprised. There's no established formula that has proven to be a commercial success, and the industry is afraid of taking any risks, hence all the WoW clones.

1. Re: Bungie MMO Destiny Rumors Return May 19, 2011, 23:11 ColoradoHoudini

I'm sort of amazed no Triple-A "true" MMOFPS has come out since Planetside back in.. err.. 2003?
Seems like a perfect genre to capture -shrug-
I'd give this game a shot if it had absolutely NO ties to any sort of console at all.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo