Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week

The Witcher 2 Videos Section offers four new trailers from The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, CD Projekt RED's just-released action/RPG sequel, with each clip introducing a single memorable character from the game. They also announce plans to release a patch next week, saying: "CD Projekt RED would also like to advise gamers that they can expect the first patch to be available next week. It will improve the playerís ability to change the keyboard map and to invert the mouse as well as implementing assorted other fixes."

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week Jun 2, 2011, 13:39 Eldaron Imotholin

For a sec there I was thinking you were instructing him how to jerk off....

But then I read the former posts of the topic, thank god...

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week Jun 2, 2011, 11:35 descender

Yeah, just poorly worded on my part. Your palm goes on top of your dome-piece with your fingers on your forehead.

It's easier to do with someone else's head... lol...

62. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 26, 2011, 21:36 Sepharo

descender wrote on May 26, 2011, 16:05:
No, you move your wrist left/right to move the head, just like you move the mouse now. You aren't "tilting" your head sideways.

Let me guess, you didn't put your hand on your head and even try it, did you...

Yes I did... the exact same way you adjust your head on a pivot to look up and down is the same way you adjust it too look left and right. If you're going to make this stupid hand-on-head analogy you must also invert horizontal movement as well.

Now you go ahead, put your hand on the back of your head and look left. Your hand will go right, just as you explained how your hand goes up to look down and down to look up.

edit: Ahh, I see now you did say on "top" not on "back". The back makes more sense in the context of turning the head, but you used the word "tilt", when we look around in an FPS we aren't tilting the head to the left or right, we are turning it.

61. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 26, 2011, 16:05 descender

No, you move your wrist left/right to move the head, just like you move the mouse now. You aren't "tilting" your head sideways.

Let me guess, you didn't put your hand on your head and even try it, did you...

60. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 22, 2011, 15:46 Krovven

born2expire wrote on May 20, 2011, 01:09:
yes and no, its more a "window" into the game.

I see the crosshair as a mouse pointer. It serves the same purpose. The camera just moves as if it's attached to it.

Flying with a joystick or analog stick, it's definitely got to be inverted.

59. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 22:50 Dades

Sepharo wrote on May 20, 2011, 21:24:
descender wrote on May 20, 2011, 19:21:
It's a very simple concept... put your hand on top of your head.

Feels surprisingly similar to holding a mouse, doesn't it?

How would you have to move your hand to look around?

By this logic you would need to horizontally invert as well...

Yeah I don't see them answering that one.

58. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 21:24 Sepharo

descender wrote on May 20, 2011, 19:21:

By this logic you would need to horizontally invert as well...

57. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 20:51 Animals for Crackers

In fact, I think the reason the non-inverted people make such a big deal out of it is because they know they are doing it backwards.

So much for "there's no right or wrong way".

56. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 19:40 Overon

The official witcher 1 and 2 forums are down. But people are posting to the news posts in the community section of the witcher site. The actual producer of the witcher series is actually apologizing to individual people when they post their problems. I have not seen so many actual posts by a producer no less apologizing. Wow.

What I have been able to learn is that CD Project Red contracted with some 3rd party for the DLC downloads. And they aren't working well for anyone. They say in the future they will do it in-house so they have more control. And it really is true that you can get the pirated DLC and install it without problems but if you are a legitimate customer the DLC is a major problem for so many. I really think these guys were unprepared for the numbers of games sold that they are seeing and they feel really bad about it. I hope they learn from their mistakes.

Also ATI may not have realized that they should have worked more closely with CD Project Red. This game is a major PC only release. If you are second in the market of PC gaming video cards, you can't drop opportunities like this. I know Nvidia has their logo in the game and ATI is working on a hotfix driver. But they really should do a better job of the crossfire support for new games BEFORE they come out. Not that I have a crossfire setup, I'm just saying. Apparently this driver will not only add crossfire support but also better compatibility for single cards as well. Of course Nvidia's SLI has the same problem of extremely poor performance, less FPS than with a single card.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2011, 07:07.

55. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 19:32 born2expire

descender wrote on May 20, 2011, 19:22:
In fact, I think the reason the non-inverted people make such a big deal out of it is because they know they are doing it backwards.

+1 lol

54. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 19:22 descender

53. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 19:21 descender

There is nothing crazy about it, other than the fact that you think there is a right and a wrong way to do it. THAT is crazy.

It's the fundamental difference between console and PC fps. With a mouse you have direct control of the head, where on a gamepad you are "pushing" the camera around with the stick.

if you mentally need to push up or down to get the view where you need it to be is a matter of personal preference... not a matter of right or wrong. Just like parents forcing a child to eat/play/throw/catch with a certain hand because it is "right".

52. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 17:47 DrEvil

born2expire wrote on May 20, 2011, 01:09:
Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2011, 00:53:
thats a 2D surface, its not replicating your head/eyes.

Your monitor is a 2D surface.

yes and no, its more a "window" into the game. obviously invert/non-invert is a preference, no amount of debate is going to change peoples opinions.

Nor the facts. 3D APIs treat the area you are viewing as 2D projection :-)

Maybe if this was Descent or a flight simulator, I could understand the inversion, but otherwise, it's just crazy

51. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 17:44 DrEvil

GinRummy wrote on May 19, 2011, 22:09:
I'm apparently old school; I just CAN'T play an FPS view game without mouse inversion. I guess it's whatever you get used to. The standard a long time ago was what is now inverted, so newer gamers prefer the non-"flight control" style.

No, you're just crazy. I've been playing FPS' since the original Quake and I have never, ever, ever, once been able to use inverted mouse view.

50. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 17:43 DrEvil

Sepharo wrote on May 19, 2011, 21:26:
Bumpy wrote on May 19, 2011, 21:25:
How on earth they missed invert mouse option is beyond me?!!!!

We've been over this before, it's because nobody in their right mind does that. All you crazies though...

QFT.

49. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 17:16 Drayth

"Take a look at The Old Republic and how it's handling things. Party members have the ability to select a dialog option to advise the leader, but it's the party leader who makes the choice on exactly what to say."

That's incorrect. Everyone in the party chooses a response, then the game randomly picks who's to run with. You get the light / dark side points dependant on your choice no matter what, but the response is picked from the pool of choices at random.

At least that's what the girl from Bioware told me in line at PAX.

48. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 15:06 Teddy

necrosis wrote on May 20, 2011, 10:04:
Darks wrote on May 20, 2011, 10:02:
The answer is no, there is no online element for this game. Im hoping that the next one they come out with they will add some type of two player Coop.
What? Its a single player RPG. I can not even fathom how co-op would work without drastic changes to core game mechanics.

Take a look at The Old Republic and how it's handling things. Party members have the ability to select a dialog option to advise the leader, but it's the party leader who makes the choice on exactly what to say.

It's certainly possible to do it. It would be frustrating for someone if the "lead" didn't ever listen to their advice, but assuming the people playing together are friends then I don't see a lot of issue with it.

Could even be whoever initiates the conversation takes the lead, giving others a chance to influence the story directly. Either way, it wouldn't require any drastic changes. There'd need to be more enemies, but that's about it.

Hell, I'd even go so far as to say that any influenced action (hexes, intimidation, etc) could be used by partners, thus interrupting the flow of the conversation. If I decide I'm going to placate an irritating NPC and my partner walks up and punches him in the face, then we both need to deal with the consequences of that. It's that simple. You could even allow whoever decides on what to say first have their choice used.

The only thing you CAN'T have is two people navigating differing dialog for the same conversation. 3 way conversations happen all the time in the world around you. There's no reason they couldn't work in a game like this. Sure you may end up frustrated by your friends choices and the consequences they place on you as a result, but that's the risk of working/travelling with another person.

The more I think about this, the more workable it seems. Could even have different dialog options available depending on the knowledge / area of expertise of a player. Maybe your friend the mage knows enough about magic to ask different questions of a person and thus takes the conversation in a direction it wouldn't have taken with your swordsman's lesser knowledge of magic.

With the timers that already exist for some dialog options, you wouldn't have the chance to relate them all to each other before one of you is forced to make a choice.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2011, 15:28.

47. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 12:14 Verno

Darks wrote on May 20, 2011, 11:38:
I donít think it would change the game to drastically.

How does your partners decisions affect the storyline in your game? It is an RPG, not an action adventure. It affects everything from storyline to immersion to greatly increasing difficulty in the technical aspects of design. There are plenty of co-op games already, we don't need to shoehorn that functionality into every game.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

46. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 12:10 ShamAbram

The 69xx series fans are super loud.

I have a 6950 in the mail, but after this comment and others posted here I'm beginning to think I should have got a GTX 570.

45. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 11:38 Darks

I donít think it would change the game to drastically. Coop could work, he runs around with his little squeeze now thatís a mage, so why not have them as a partner with Mage support. I donít think that to off the wall.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo