Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hmm, Ask Slashdot (thanks Ant) tackles the question I just posed a couple of weeks ago about the merits of building a DOS machine versus playing older games via DOSbox emulation or the like. I'm pretty sure building such a retro-box is a dream I will never get around to, but this has increased my temptation to try by that much more.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Insectonator: Zombie Mode.
Castaway 2.
Ragdoll Cannon 4.
Links: CDC EPR - Preparedness 101- Zombie Apocalypse. Thanks Redwood.
Wacky Warning Labels. Thanks Ben.
All 6500+ pages of Elfquest comics online.
Story: Exploding watermelons put spotlight on Chinese farming practices. Thanks Boing Boing.
Science: Cal student walks with exoskeleton to get diploma. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Coffee Consumption and Prostate Cancer Risk. Thanks Slashdot.
Images: The real reason why there is no Half-Life 3. Thanks reddit.
Minecraft "Lost Wolf" Flyer.
People Totally Lost Their Heads When It First Came Out.
Media: Catpix. Thanks Chris.
Conan tries a US Citizenship Test.
Frozen Waffles Have It Bad.
Car Crash. Thanks viperfour.
The Funnies: Hobbes And Bacon. Thanks Hump.
Follow-up: Stemming the tide of careless science reporting, one post at a time.
Keanu Reeves Departs "Akira" Remake.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2011, 11:11 Verno

That Elf Quest thing brings back memories, I actually found one of the anthology books the other day while cleaning out my garage. Really cool of them to put it all online, I'll check it out later for some nostalgia.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2011, 07:23 Mr. Tact

While I don't necessarily disagree, I do think the effort required to "not eat imported food" would be far greater than I'm willing to expend for normal food gathering. I've made it this far without the hassle, I'm guessing I can make it the last 30 years of life without it.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2011, 21:53 Pigeon

Note to self, avoid food from China.

I'd say imported fruits and vegetables in general, where ever they come from. Just ignoring the lax standards in food safety many production countries have, the taste tends to be none too good either. In order to survive the shipping process relatively damage free many fruits and vegetables are picked before they're ripe and then artificially ripened, sprayed with preserving chemicals and/or varieties grown for their ship-ability and not taste. I gotta say tomatoes are the worst, home/local grown is like a whole different fruit compared to most of the stuff that gets imported to grocery stores.

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2011, 14:32  Blue 

Jim wrote on May 19, 2011, 14:12:
The first Follow-up link isn't working, can you please re-post the URL?
Thanks

Fixed. Sorry about that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2011, 14:19 DangerDog

Cutter wrote on May 19, 2011, 13:13:

How's everyone liking LA Noire? I'm kinda of meh on it really. Glad I gave it a rent instead of buying. The environment is stellar and everything is top notch as per Rockstar standards but the gameplay itself just feels sort of boring. Sitting there staring at people trying to figure out if they're lying just isn't all that exciting. They should give you a fourth option, the "Wendell 'Bud' White" option from LA Confidential where you get to beat the crap out of people untill they fess up. Bring on GTA5 already.

Have to really check labels and see where food comes from, I won't buy anything that says it comes from China.

I got to play a little bit of LA Noire, I think they turn you into a detective way too soon. Would have been better if you had to play cop for awhile, like in Police Quest where you had to pull over drunk drivers and chase down robbers - eventually you get to be a detective but you have to work up to it.

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2011, 14:12 Jim

The first Follow-up link isn't working, can you please re-post the URL?
Thanks

Jim

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2011, 13:13 Cutter

How's everyone liking LA Noire? I'm kinda of meh on it really. Glad I gave it a rent instead of buying. The environment is stellar and everything is top notch as per Rockstar standards but the gameplay itself just feels sort of boring. Sitting there staring at people trying to figure out if they're lying just isn't all that exciting. They should give you a fourth option, the "Wendell 'Bud' White" option from LA Confidential where you get to beat the crap out of people untill they fess up. Bring on GTA5 already.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2011, 12:54 Acleacius

Gratz xXBatmanXx!

I prefer emulators but for those that want the old hardware (and serious issues of compatibility/drivers autoexec and config files) FreeDOS 1.0. Iirc m$ isn't to eager for people to keep using DOS since it's much easier to hack with.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: Hobbes And Bacon May 19, 2011, 12:35 sauron

Cave Johnson wrote on May 19, 2011, 12:12:
Awesome

Seconded. Love it.

Kittens!

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2011, 12:17 xXBatmanXx

Wow...in a little twist of the interesting....it appears I am going to be able to refinance my FHA loan of 6% from the height of the bubble into a "streamlined" 4.25% FHA loan. With a 16 month ROI for closing costs paid upfront....crazy....finally paid off to be responsible....weird.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

1. Hobbes And Bacon May 19, 2011, 12:12 Kxmode

Awesome  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo