Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

About 40 Hours of Arkham City

There's a Batman: Arkham City interview on guardian.co.uk discussing the upcoming superhero sequel with Sefton Hill, game director at Rocksteady Studios. Along the way, he tells them how much gameplay to expect, saying: "It takes over 25 hours to complete the main stories in Batman: Arkham City," and that: "The Side Missions in Batman: Arkham City are a good example. We have around 15 hours of story that's off the main path. It's completely down to the player when and how they want to tackle this there's no right or wrong time." Thanks Destructoid.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 20, 2011, 09:12 nin

I fucking hate assholes like you who think anything that isn't done your way is bullshit. WoooooOOOOooOOOO! You played it on easy and rushed it. Fuck you.

Assgok is a long time troll. Don't waste your energy on him. He's clearly not worth it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 20, 2011, 00:32 Krovven

And since we are all about insulting. Go fuck yourself. I fucking hate assholes like you who think anything that isn't done your way is bullshit. WoooooOOOOooOOOO! You played it on easy and rushed it. Fuck you.

Aww did I make the ADD child angry?

At least you admit you are bitching about a limitation that is of your own fault. I don't give a fuck if that how you choose to play your games. But don't cry about the hours to complete when you ignore the rest of the game and rob yourself of the content, especially when it's great.

22. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 23:07 CrimsonPaw

Dear Rocksteady, I hear your call for money and I am here to answer!!!  
~~Crim~~

21. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 22:04 Dirwulf

InBlack wrote on May 19, 2011, 09:44:
Kajetan wrote on May 19, 2011, 08:36:
Thank you all ... but i think i'll pass. I'm not compatible with anything resembling a brawler. I sucked so hard at trying to play Jade Empire, i have no interest in repeating this experience. I've learned my lesson

Jade Empire was a turd, hell even the mainstream media gave it an average score.

Really? Jade empire PC has an 81 on Metacritic and the Xbox version has an 89. Too bad there is so much hate for that game here. It was fantastic. I played through the Xbox version twice as the different classes were so diverse. I wonder how it looks on PC?

20. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 20:40 necrosis

Krovven wrote on May 19, 2011, 12:38:
necrosis wrote on May 19, 2011, 09:30:
Because I beat it in 6.

I'm sorry but I call bullshit.

You beat Arkham Asylum in 6 hours? Barely plausible, only if you skipped the majority of the game, listened/read nothing and did no exploring.

So you didn't really "play" the game, you raced through the main story as fast as you possibly could, and I'm guessing probably on Easy too?

I said i beat the game. Not completed it 100%.

I don't like side shit. Never have. Always found that in most games it distracted from the story. I like games like boots and movies. Beginning to end. Not yanked off track to do side things that do little to extend the story or things directly related to the main plot line.

As for "play". Everyone's definition is different. I was in no race to the end. I just stuck to the main plot line. Did I enjoy the game any less? No. It was a good game. I just hate it when developers lie out their ass about how long a game is. 25 hours for the main plot line? Really? I haven't had a game break 25 hours on first playthrough with little side shit since FFXIV. DA:O was the only thing that came close.

And since we are all about insulting. Go fuck yourself. I fucking hate assholes like you who think anything that isn't done your way is bullshit. WoooooOOOOooOOOO! You played it on easy and rushed it. Fuck you.

19. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 16:10 Yosemite Sam

I sure hope they capture the magick from the first one, AA was awsome. The combat was perfect, once you got the hang of it. If you managed to complete all the challenges, then you truly became the total ass kicker 'the batman' .... played the story line again after mastering the combat and the game was even better.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

18. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 12:38 Krovven

necrosis wrote on May 19, 2011, 09:30:
Because I beat it in 6.

I'm sorry but I call bullshit.

You beat Arkham Asylum in 6 hours? Barely plausible, only if you skipped the majority of the game, listened/read nothing and did no exploring.

So you didn't really "play" the game, you raced through the main story as fast as you possibly could, and I'm guessing probably on Easy too?

17. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 10:53 Drayth

Picked this up on the $5 sale myself, and I'll be getting the new one day 1 if possible. VERY well done game.. on top of everything else people described it's a very immersive game too. The mood, the music and the voice acting all gel together perfectly.

It's also (along with Metro 2033) one of the best game to try with 3D vision, as it's 3D Vision certified. You only need to turn off motion blur. Walking through mist and seeing it come out of the screen into your face is another really immersive element.*

*Applicable to people who can tolerate 3D gaming.

16. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 10:07 Cutter

If this was anymore wicked it'd be the witch of the west! Gimme now! And gadzooks man, this is nothing remotely like Jade Crapire.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 09:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Personally, I hated Jade Empire and didn't even make it halfway through. I loved Batman: AA, so maybe you will too? At the very least, you should give the demo a try.
Same here. Jade Empire sucked, but Batman: AA is a fantastic game! Try it! Thumbsup

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 09:44 InBlack

Thank you all ... but i think i'll pass. I'm not compatible with anything resembling a brawler. I sucked so hard at trying to play Jade Empire, i have no interest in repeating this experience. I've learned my lesson

Jade Empire was a turd, hell even the mainstream media gave it an average score.

Batman Arkham Asylum was the best 5$ game I ever purchased. (I only got it this year on Steam)

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 09:31 Verno

Beyond the presence of GFWL I think Batman AA was one of the best console ports I've ever played. Looking forward to this installment and glad to see that they are expanding on it's depth. The first game was one of the most well designed brawlers I've ever seen too. The combat accommodates the button masher but rewards the thinker even more. I think my sole complaint was having to spend the entire game in detective mode to see hidden objects but it sounds like they have addressed that.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

12. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 09:30 necrosis

What did they say for the first game?

Because I beat it in 6. AC that much larger than AA or are they blowing smoke in our face as usual?

there's no right or wrong time
Yeah. There is. When you drastically over inflate your assumptions of playtime to make sales.

11. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 09:08 El Pit

I am sooo going to buy this day one. Arkham Asylum was one of the best console ports ever! I especially loved that it was perfectly playable with mouse and keyboard. Rockstar should hire those guys to make sure that flying with kb/m will be possible in their next GTA game.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

10. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 08:43 Ecthelion

Steam has a demo of Arkham Asylum (the first one), which will give you a good taste of the combat. As I recall, it's missing most of the detective and stealth elements, but you can see some of them in action in videos for the game.

Personally, I hated Jade Empire and didn't even make it halfway through. I loved Batman: AA, so maybe you will too? At the very least, you should give the demo a try.

9. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 08:36 Kajetan

8. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 07:45 space captain

Kajetan wrote on May 19, 2011, 06:27:
Jerykk wrote on May 19, 2011, 00:19:
Wow, this is almost sounding like a Batman RPG. Count me in.
Being well aware that BAA is NOT a RPG :), how can you describe the basic gameplay? Is it a brawler, a QTE event with adventure elements like Heavy Rain? What skills do you need? Reflexes, timing, brainz or just follow orders on the screen?

its got some likenesses

The new abilities, upgrades and most importantly, the player's mastery of the character, give this progression, resulting in an experience at the end of the game which is almost unrecognisable from that at the start.

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 07:23 Rhino

Kajetan wrote on May 19, 2011, 06:27:
Being well aware that BAA is NOT a RPG :), how can you describe the basic gameplay? Is it a brawler, a QTE event with adventure elements like Heavy Rain? What skills do you need? Reflexes, timing, brainz or just follow orders on the screen?

A mix of brawler and stealth, with some reflexes involved. More reflexes are recommended on higher difficulty settings when the visual cues that an enemy is about to attack are more subdued.

Appreciation of the fighting system is also dependent upon your own play style. Some genuinely didn't care for it because you COULD potentially just mash the attack button down over and again to take out a lot of the enemies, certainly more so earlier in the game. That said, I found (as did many others) an immense satisfaction to chaining hits, dodges, counters and finishing moves coupled with bat-arang tosses (auto-aim on those; but it works in the context of the game rather than feeling like a cheap simplification) to take out entire rooms in one fluid combo. This also gives you a higher score.

The side missions are a nice diversion, though unessential and you won't generally find that you'll be tripping over them.

While not an RPG, there IS a leveling up element of sorts. You get a score with each fight, as an example, which acts as your experience points would in many RPGs. The more attacks that you chain together (see my comment above) the higher the score that you'll receive. This allows you to unlock new moves and/or gadgets (triple bat-arang instead of single, finishing moves, new uses for other gadgets, etc.)

Boss fights are all right, though the final one leaves something to be desired.

Some brains, though nothing terribly taxing. There's more thinking involved in the Riddler challenges, but just how tricky those are depends largely on the individual.

6. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification May 19, 2011, 07:20 Optimaximal

A 3rd-person action brawler with hints of the other bits you mention..?

The takedowns can be likened to quick-time events, as you have to respond to visual prompts, but they can be disabled so you have to rely on your wits. The detective parts of AA were basically scripted, but did make you feel like you were solving the puzzles by getting Bats in the right position to find the solution.

5. Re: About 40 Hours of Arkham City May 19, 2011, 06:27 Kajetan

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo