Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Mass Effect 3 Choices

A quick interview with Casey Hudson on PC Gamer talks with BioWare's project director on the Mass Effect series about the consequences of the player's decisions in the upcoming third installment in the action/RPG series. They go into some details about how choices throughout Mass Effect 3 will impact the way the ending plays out.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 17:24 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on May 18, 2011, 14:06:
That is so full of win, it should actually be put into ME3.
Cheers. I guess that's what no sleep and a touch of crazy will get ya. But I know a few people from BW reads the boards still, they're welcome to use it if they want.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 17:03 Kxmode

Choices? Choices? In the simulator we call life there's only one choice. Forward. Rest assured if something happens to you we'll transfer your honorarium to the charitable organisation of your choice.  

11. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 16:47 avianflu

ME 2 was a guilty pleasure: the combat was still wonky as ever and the "choices" we get to make are far too black and white, but I enjoyed the bizarre characters and the sci-fi story line  

10. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 16:47 Creston

Verno wrote on May 18, 2011, 16:07:
I seriously doubt they work all that background stuff out, especially how it relates to the Genophage, and then just let it die away.

It stands to reason that not every choice you make has galactic implications. But this being the final game gives them a little more freedom in what they can do.

I don't know, I can see them tying up plot threads as simply as possible with minimal real consequences because of the whole idea that "we cant punish people for making the wrong choice!". They certainly didn't do anything with them in the second game. I guess we'll see, I'm not totally convinced between this and Dragon Age that Bioware does the whole consequence thing with anything other than lip service. I'll be happy to be wrong as I felt pretty let down by the Mass Effect 2 stuff in that regard.

I don't think your choices will let you LOSE the war to the Reapers, no. (Even though that would be fucking AWESOME.)

That's just kind of a simple writer's motto. You don't let your fans struggle through three games only to kick them in the nuts at the end and say "FAIL!"
That's a surefire way to get rid of a lot of fans in a hurry.

But I can see them doing such things as the Reapers destroy Earth vs the Reapers are beaten back and Earth is still in one piece.

Now, you can argue whether that's a meaningful choice or not, but since in general people here on Blues feel that getting a single different paragraph of text at the end of Fallout 2 about which family rules New Reno was the absolute epitome and supreme guide on "How To Do Meaningful Choices", I'd argue that that sorta qualifies.

Creston

9. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 16:07 Verno

I seriously doubt they work all that background stuff out, especially how it relates to the Genophage, and then just let it die away.

It stands to reason that not every choice you make has galactic implications. But this being the final game gives them a little more freedom in what they can do.

I don't know, I can see them tying up plot threads as simply as possible with minimal real consequences because of the whole idea that "we cant punish people for making the wrong choice!". They certainly didn't do anything with them in the second game. I guess we'll see, I'm not totally convinced between this and Dragon Age that Bioware does the whole consequence thing with anything other than lip service. I'll be happy to be wrong as I felt pretty let down by the Mass Effect 2 stuff in that regard.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

8. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 15:55 Creston

Verno wrote on May 18, 2011, 15:16:
And I'm sorry, Verno, but they didn't go through all this much trouble with the Rachni to just not take the story anywhere beyond an email. I just don't buy it.

Err where exactly have they taken it? In the second game I encountered a single NPC who gave me about 5 lines of dialogue related to them. Did I miss some big Rachni event or something? Looking at the "consequences" from the transition between games the highest impact I've seen is a missing character so far. I'm sure I haven't seen all of the possible choices so perhaps other people have seen significant changes? If so please by all means, lets hear them.

They haven't TAKEN it anywhere yet, but you typically don't go through all this trouble setting up so much backstory without ever using it. The Rachni extinction / non-extinction is one of the main background stories of Mass Effect (along with the Genophage and the Quarian/Geth conflict.)

I could be wrong, of course, but like I said, I don't buy it.

Creston

7. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 15:45 NKD

Verno wrote on May 18, 2011, 15:16:
And I'm sorry, Verno, but they didn't go through all this much trouble with the Rachni to just not take the story anywhere beyond an email. I just don't buy it.

Err where exactly have they taken it? In the second game I encountered a single NPC who gave me about 5 lines of dialogue related to them. Did I miss some big Rachni event or something? Looking at the "consequences" from the transition between games the highest impact I've seen is a missing character so far. I'm sure I haven't seen all of the possible choices so perhaps other people have seen significant changes? If so please by all means, lets hear them.

I think the big thing you're missing is that this is the final chapter of the Shepard trilogy. There are still limits as to what they can do, in order to keep people from being completely boned based on their prior decisions, but they have a lot more freedom here. They don't have to worry about importing decisions to a fourth game.

The "emails" and what not were simply ways to acknowledge choices that were either very minor and had no lasting impact on the story, or that would not pay off until ME3. The alternative was to not acknowledge them at all.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 15:16 Verno

5. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 14:06 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 18, 2011, 12:59:
Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2011, 12:36:
An e-mail from a Rachni janitor would be pretty awesome, actually.
We speak through muddy waters, coloured by song. This place is covered by strange smells of the ancient past. Send the children more wipes.

That is so full of win, it should actually be put into ME3.

I wonder why people fail to see the things where the choices actually DID make a noticeable difference. The entire citadel felt different based on whether you saved the council or not. Saving Wrex (and having him try to reform the Krogan) vs killing him (and having Worf lead them on in their old ways), etc.

Yes, I was disappointed too with the large amounts of emails just vaguely referencing your previous decisions (even though that in itself was already more than pretty much every other game ever does), but there WERE some pretty big decisions that carried over into ME2.

I think your decision whether to keep or destroy the potential Genophage cure will also have a major effect.

I could be wrong, of course, but I think ME3 will be quite a surprise where this stuff is concerned. I think ME2 didn't have too many effects from the major decisions in it because it was the middle game. They would have opened up a ridiculous amount of possibilities otherwise. In ME3, they can tie everything off one way or the other, so I think it'll definitely be far more noticeable.

Creston

4. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 12:59 Mashiki Amiketo

Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2011, 12:36:
We speak through muddy waters, coloured by song. This place is covered by strange smells of the ancient past. Send the children more wipes.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 12:36 Jerykk

2. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 11:51 Verno

I have to agree with Jerykk here unfortunately, evidence of their supposed choice consequences so far have been practically nonexistent so I don't see any reason for that to change. People keep talking about how they think the Rachni Queen decision in ME1 will dramatically impact the third game for example and personally I think it will be a five second cutscene at best, an email saying "we will help u shepard!!!!" at worst.  

1. Re: On Mass Effect 3 Choices May 18, 2011, 11:13 Creston

Sounds pretty cool. And yes, I know Jerykk will say that keeping the Collector base will just mean you get an email from its custodian, but I think this time around there will actually be some pretty cool repercussions to your actions.

I also like how they appear to be taking good lessons from ME2's DLC, and realizing what people like and don't like, and putting more of the good stuf into ME3.

Very excited for it.

Creston

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo