Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Evening Metaverse May 18, 2011, 08:38 kanniballl

zirik wrote on May 18, 2011, 08:18:
only time will tell what tiered internet service will do to netflix and other streaming service. my friend who has verizon FIOS gets terrible streaming with netflix. at the same time hulu and youtube videos run fine. i think throttling is already being implemented by internet providers.

That's strange, I've had Verizon FIOS for years now since we were an early neighborhood.

I don't have a problem with it, and the quality comes in quite high.

I watch a lot, but maybe once every 1-2 weeks I'll encounter a hiccup like the quality of a stream jacking way down. But after either restarting my browser or my PC it goes back to normal. Sometimes just selecting a different movie would fix it.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Evening Metaverse May 18, 2011, 08:18 zirik

only time will tell what tiered internet service will do to netflix and other streaming service. my friend who has verizon FIOS gets terrible streaming with netflix. at the same time hulu and youtube videos run fine. i think throttling is already being implemented by internet providers.  

6. Re: Evening Metaverse May 18, 2011, 04:35 Esoteric

Netflix is awesome. We stream more than we get mailed. I can't believe it's still so cheap for how much we get from it. I'm definitely on their side when it comes to ISPs being assholes. Definitely needs to be more open competition in the ISP market. They should be competing for unlimited caps at cheaper prices instead of limited caps at more expensive prices.  

5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 18, 2011, 00:26 Dirwulf

Netflix just struck a deal with Miramax too, so more movies are coming in June.  

4. Re: Evening Metaverse May 17, 2011, 22:47 Tumbler

Love Netflix. Watch instantly is such an amazing value. Watching Blue Mountain State atm, had never seen that show until it was recommended, i gave it a shot, thank you netflix!  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

3. Re: Evening Metaverse May 17, 2011, 22:08 nin

Prez wrote on May 17, 2011, 21:42:
Netflix Passes Piracy in U.S. Net Traffic

It's amazing what happens when business embraces new technology rather than fight to hamstring it while they cling to outdated business models. It's shocking. Shocking I tell you!

I have a lot of respect for netflix. They seem genuinely concerned about keeping their customers happy (if streaming is down, they'll actually send out emails to give people a discount on their bill), and the times I've had to call support, the folks there have been super nice.

If I could fix one thing about them, I wish they'd clean their fucking discs more. Holy cow, I'm gotten some nasty looking discs in the mail, and I'd estimate about one outta ten I have to send back since it's scratched so bad, it can't be read. I get the distinct feeling they don't examine returned discs before shipping them right back out the door the next day.

Having said that, their ever expanding streaming catalog is awesome. I think I have like 100 things queued in streaming, waiting for me to have the time to watch them.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Evening Metaverse May 17, 2011, 21:51 LittleMe

Prez wrote on May 17, 2011, 21:42:

It's amazing what happens when business embraces new technology rather than fight to hamstring it while they cling to outdated business models. It's shocking. Shocking I tell you!

History repeating itself. The railroads resisted the auto industry with some dirty tricks. Just one example of thousands.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

1. Re: Evening Metaverse May 17, 2011, 21:42 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo