Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

A couple of highly anticipated games hit today, L.A. Noire and The Witcher 2. I think in a rare twist for me I'll probably play the console game first, as that will provide a chance for a patch for The Witcher, should it be required like the first time around.

Consolidated Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Cubium Level Pack.
Fighter Patrol 1942.
Trunc N Duck.
Links: The Disappearing Face of New York. Thanks Boing Boing.
CAPTCHArt. Thanks Neatorama.
Chevillotte (Very) Table Pool Table.
Stories: Bag Soaked With Chihuahua Urine Draws Bomb Squad.
"Family Guy" Creator Reboots "Flintstones".
Nepal's 'Super Sherpa' breaks his own Everest record.
Science: ORNL energy harvester turns heat waste into electricity.
Coffee mooted as a breast cancer preventer.
Media: Fox Debuts Terra Nova Full Trailer and Images. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Swearing toy. NSFW.
Frisbee Trick Shots.
College Baseball Rain Delay Jousting.
The Funnies: Get Fuzzy. Thanks brother19.
Follow-up: Fukushima Reactor 1 melted down, 2 and 3 may have too.
Japan evacuates residents beyond Fukushima no-go zone.
Monkey HIV vaccine 'effective', say researchers.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2011, 09:51 nin

Yeah--I kinda got the impression that he was the part of the show that people really liked. Just rubbed me the wrong way.

I was the same way with Voyager. Mulgrew's voice is like nails on a chalkboard for me, and had she not been on the show, I might have stuck with it. But every time she opens her mouth, I want to scream.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2011, 00:06 mag

nin wrote on May 18, 2011, 10:04:

I think I saw an episode or two of Fringe, and I wasn't really impressed with what I saw. The old guy's annoying

Ha! "The old guy" is the best part of the show.

Yeah--I kinda got the impression that he was the part of the show that people really liked. Just rubbed me the wrong way.

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2011, 10:04 nin

I think I saw an episode or two of Fringe, and I wasn't really impressed with what I saw. The old guy's annoying

Ha! "The old guy" is the best part of the show.

30. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2011, 09:30 Verno

kanniballl wrote on May 17, 2011, 20:20:

Personally I think the other actives stole the show: Victor and Sierra. The guy who played Victor in particular did a great job with the various roles. Some of the other supporting cast (like Topher) were also great.

Eliza wasn't bad, but wasn't incredibly great either.

The guy who played Victor deserves his own show, he did a fantastic job overall. Eliza was totally bland as usual, shes a fine supporting actress when she has a very limited and defined role but she cannot carry lead. The show would have been much better if it had been Amy Acker in the lead as was originally planned.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2011, 02:57 mag

kanniballl wrote on May 17, 2011, 20:20:
PHJF wrote on May 17, 2011, 19:08:
I tried to watch Dollhouse but can't make it five minutes without exploding into a rage characterized by repeated, brutal attempts to smash Eliza Dushku's face in. She's like Hayden Christensen, except with a vagina.

Personally I think the other actives stole the show: Victor and Sierra. The guy who played Victor in particular did a great job with the various roles. Some of the other supporting cast (like Topher) were also great.

Agreed. The Victor-actor seemed pretty talented. I did watch both seasons of Dollhouse--but it never really struck me as particularly good. I didn't want more, when it was done.

I think I saw an episode or two of Fringe, and I wasn't really impressed with what I saw. The old guy's annoying.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 20:20 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on May 17, 2011, 19:08:
I tried to watch Dollhouse but can't make it five minutes without exploding into a rage characterized by repeated, brutal attempts to smash Eliza Dushku's face in. She's like Hayden Christensen, except with a vagina.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 19:08 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 18:35 DG

Hmm, I'm way behind the US TV as I'm in UK with no satellite subs so it's all DVD rental, but of the series mentioned I'd go

Terminator (finished) > Dollhouse (done S1) > Flash Forward (finished) then Fringe (nearly done S1).

Probably being nice on Dollhouse as it was starting to reveal a lot of potential. FF suffered a bit as I found the lead annoying, plus The Event has come on which seems to be almost same thing?

Fringe has it's ups and downs, Walter hams it up well, Peter plays a good sidekick but Olivia isn't a strong lead and too often the plots get just too silly. I still don't know why all the scriptwriters and producers seem to have forgotten X-Files's golden rule of never throwing absurdity in the audience's face. It's an enjoyable enough show to wind-down at night and I'm looking forward to the next DVD but I wouldn't be buying the box set or anything unless absurdly cheap.

To be fair though, I'm still waiting on BSG on bluray to get cheaper and I haven't even gotten around to picking up Firefly yet (half my family even owns that and they wouldn't recognise the name Josh Wheadon). Partly that's because I'm happily waiting for memories of both to fade some more before getting stuck in again though.

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 17:00 nin

Sir Graves wrote on May 17, 2011, 16:57:
I think in a rare twist for me I'll probably play the console game first

Oh, don't go down that road, man. Not you.

Pretty sure Blue has had a console for years now.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 16:57 Sir Graves

I think in a rare twist for me I'll probably play the console game first

Oh, don't go down that road, man. Not you.

23. Re: Fox Debuts Terra Nova Full May 17, 2011, 14:15 Creston

Verno wrote on May 17, 2011, 13:40:
mag wrote on May 17, 2011, 13:32:
Why would anyone even bother to start watching a story-arc-heavy sci-fi show on Fox? I give it six episodes before it's axed.

I don't know, Fringe has been on for awhile now and the better part of 2 seasons have pretty arc heavy. If you can last a season on Fox then you tend to last awhile. Fox is pretty harsh with their new shows in general though for sure.

I'm just finishing up season 3, and season 3 (bar a few mediocre episodes in the middle) has been absolutely FANTASTIC. I'm glad it's getting a fourth season, though I do hope they don't push their luck, and will wrap everything up by the end of season 4.

4 or 5 seasons for a tv show is more than enough anyways. Anything after 5 seasons, and it starts to really drag.

ABC canceled V and it was averaging between 6 and 7 million viewers an episode.

What really pissed me off is that they canceled Flash Forward in favor of V, then canceled V like six or so episodes into season 2 (I think? I recall thinking "hey, it's back" and then nothing.)

Flash Forward was a seriously good show. Amazing, since Brannon Fucking Braga was involved, but true nonetheless.

Creston

22. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 14:13 Krovven

Thing is, Fox has kept Fringe going with only about an average of 5 million viewers per episode.

ABC canceled V and it was averaging between 6 and 7 million viewers an episode.

Not everything can be NCIS with 20 million per episode. Granted it had high ratings to start...but it's almost doubled its rating since season 1, with them going up each season. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCIS_%28TV_series%29#Ratings

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 14:02 Verno

They wanted to keep Terminator on, it was a favorite of several Fox executives but the shows budget was fairly high and more importantly the Terminator license was really expensive. The Terminator Salvation movie bombed and failed to bring in any TV viewers so that didn't help matters either

Dollhouse on the other hand was frustrating because that show deserved to fail, it was quite mediocre overall. There are a handful of good episodes and the rest is throwaway garbage you might find on the Sci-fi channel.

20. Re: Fox Debuts Terra Nova Full May 17, 2011, 13:48 kanniballl

Verno wrote on May 17, 2011, 13:40:
Why would anyone even bother to start watching a story-arc-heavy sci-fi show on Fox? I give it six episodes before it's axed.

I don't know, Fringe has been on for awhile now and the better part of 2 seasons have pretty arc heavy. If you can last a season on Fox then you tend to last awhile. Fox is pretty harsh with their new shows in general though for sure.

Fox tried to learn their lesson in terms of Sci Fi.

• They gave Dollhouse a second season even though the ratings were mediocre at best, probably because they didn't want another FireFly / Whedon cluster-bomb. I loved Dollhouse but if the ratings were as low as I read then I'm not surprised

• They gave Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles a second season.

• Fox is still notorious for cancelling shows early, but they're probably hoping for another "Fringe" event (pun). A sci fi show delivered by a big name director/writer.

Between Firefly and Family Guy, I'm sure the execs try to take more than 3 seconds before deciding to cancel a show... but it's probably still only 5 seconds now.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

19. Re: Fox Debuts Terra Nova Full May 17, 2011, 13:40 Verno

18. Re: Fox Debuts Terra Nova Full May 17, 2011, 13:32 mag

17. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 13:27 Fion

Ep 5 was very good. They changed up the 'Eddard busts a leg' scene, but it had more dramatic tension this way. Oh and I had wished they showed the late night climb up the Eyrie, that was fantastic in the book, but I can see why they didn't do it.

All in all a very good episode, where the shit starts hitting the fan. It only gets better from here!

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 13:23 Krovven

Random info...

Watched ep 5 of Game of Thrones last night...best episode yet. Really made me want to go play The Witcher.

Anyone else notice the Gamepad options in the config menu for Witcher 2?
    Anyone tried them yet?

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 13:10 Krovven

Definitely a learning curve on the combat mechanics, especially when you are used to The Witcher. But so far most changes seem to be for the better, and allow for a more dynamic game....just need to get used to it.

Default was Z key for me for the red highlight pulse. Interesting, but I sorta miss things just having item names show up everywhere, but I do like the cleaner screen...

Oh and no more potion usage in combat.

Yea that threw me. Click-Click...what do you mean I can't drink that now? Dead.

Seriously recommend people check out the different prologue scenes, which vary depending on your conversation selections with Roche.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 17, 2011, 13:02 Verno

I will say...I'm still in Chapter IV of The Witcher...so in the Witcher 2 having to change the combat mechanics, trying to press Shift to activate the mouse cursor, trying to aim to click on stuff and not being able to see item name popups, was very all disorienting when I was messing around in the prologues.

Yeah I'm not sure why they removed the Item Highlight toggle that was in Witcher 1. There's a weak replacement in the form of your medallion if you hit ALT but it sucks by comparison. The combat in this game is quite a bit more difficult too. I gave up on early game blocking and I just dodge around like a maniac now and try to separate people. There's a fair amount of info only present in the manual too, people should really check it out because the in-game tutorials are a bit odd. Oh and no more potion usage in combat but I'm a fan of that decision.

On a side note remember that employee at Bioware who got caught trying to give DA2 a 10/10 which was sticked on the games Metacritic landing page? He just gave The Witcher 2 a 0/10, the only other game he's ever reviewed besides DA2. You stay classy Bioware.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2011, 13:16.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo