Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated]

This trailer from Duke Nukem Forever announces plans to release the first access demo for Gearbox Software's shooter sequel on June 3rd in advance of the game's international release on June 10th and its debut in North America on June 14th. The trailer is narrated by the ever-enthusiastic Randy Pitchford, and plays off the game's delay announcement in revealing the news. The catch is that to qualify for the first access club one must pre-order the game through a participating merchant, as detailed on this page, or (update) by owning the Borderlands: Game of the Year edition (thanks Dirwulf). There's no word at this time on when the demo will be released for all. The embedded version of the trailer follows.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 17, 2011, 22:02 Zardoz5

Hey Pitchford, why do just GOTY/Steam copies get access? I picked up the retail version of your so-so game before the GOTY came out and I get treated like a second class customer? Thanks! Remind me to never purchase any of your boring-ass products again.

Typical game industry of the past few years, treat your early adopter customers like garbage and give the latecomers more for their money. Latecomers usually get more content and a more stable game for less $. Hey game companies, the last few games I bought for $20 instead of $60 like I originally planned. I hope your new game plan works out for the best.

/rant P.S. I'm not going to by this game anyway for full price, not looking worth it to me, its more a rant about the path the game industry is on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 17, 2011, 11:06 sauron

Bumpy wrote on May 16, 2011, 20:44:
This demo will be cracked and free to all in less than an hour I'd estimate.

^ This.

Kittens!

21. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 17, 2011, 10:54 Dev

Krovven wrote on May 17, 2011, 01:25:
Does Borderlands need to be installed to see the CD key? It shows me the Duke Nukem Forever First Access listing, but says "Complimentary" beside it.

You might be looking at the wrong page (right click game, then properties shows what you mentioned). Instead, check the CD key button in library page (details view)

This comment was edited on May 17, 2011, 12:36.

20. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 17, 2011, 09:36 InBlack

Verno wrote on May 17, 2011, 09:20:
Whats next, paying to beta test?

That's been going on for like 2+ years now. People pay to get into beta tests all the time, it's the good ol' preorder blackmail trick.

Yeah, that too. I was actually refering to so called "finished" release versions (Age of Conan at release comes to mind) but what you said is also true.

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 17, 2011, 09:20 Verno

Whats next, paying to beta test?

That's been going on for like 2+ years now. People pay to get into beta tests all the time, it's the good ol' preorder blackmail trick.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

18. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 17, 2011, 08:55 Shataan

Sounds like more B/S to me. Peeps who have waited so long for this game, I am not one of them btw, but to not just release a demo? Azzholes.  

17. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 17, 2011, 07:33 InBlack

Bumpy wrote on May 16, 2011, 20:44:

This poses an interesting philosophical question....

Is it amoral to pirate a demo of a game???

Seriously though, early access to a demo??? Whats next, paying to beta test? Oh wait people already do that all the time with most MMO's......

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd May 17, 2011, 02:33 Mashiki Amiketo

Mead wrote on May 17, 2011, 01:54:
This misconception pops up every time something like this happens. People who have not yet bought the game are not refused access to the demo for all time, just for a certain period, and then it becomes accessible to everyone.
It's not a misconception. That's exactly what it is. Unless you buy, you don't get demo access. And that's, that until it's released. I don't know what brainiac decided that blocking demo access even for a short period of time while others get to play is a good idea. Actually I do know. It's the type of people who sell shitty products, or those who have no faith in their products.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd May 17, 2011, 01:54 Mead

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 16, 2011, 20:27:
Uh isn't having like having demo's blocked to people unless you pre-order prohibitive to people actually buying your product? I mean it's like buying a car, without test driving it, then being allowed to test drive it.

This misconception pops up every time something like this happens. People who have not yet bought the game are not refused access to the demo for all time, just for a certain period, and then it becomes accessible to everyone.

It's a stupid way to do it, imo. I mean, it's just a damn demo. We've waited what, 12 years for this crap, a few more aren't going to burn your face off. But they're acting like people are going to in fact buy the game just to get the demo a few days earlier than everyone else.

14. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 17, 2011, 01:25 Krovven

Does Borderlands need to be installed to see the CD key? It shows me the Duke Nukem Forever First Access listing, but says "Complimentary" beside it.

13. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 16, 2011, 23:53 siapnar

I'm confirming that you indeed do NOT need to own the GOTY edition of Borderlands to get first access to DNF.

I just signed up.

I have projectile dysfunction.

12. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd May 16, 2011, 23:47 NKD

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2011, 23:43:
Why is the game coming out 4 days later in the U.S.? That seems a bit odd.

They want to make sure no US customer has to buy the game. The Europeans can buy it, meanwhile our patience runs out and we pirate it.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd May 16, 2011, 23:43 Jerykk

Why is the game coming out 4 days later in the U.S.? That seems a bit odd.  

10. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd May 16, 2011, 23:25 Dev

1) Check the CD keys if you own borderlands,it will show duke access key (almost all copies got it, not just GOTY). Run STEAM, Goto LIBRARY in details view, click borderlands to highlight it, then click CD KEY button on right.
2) Then goto this webpage:
http://www.dukenukemforever.com/access
You can get signed up for first access there.

Dirwulf wrote on May 16, 2011, 20:38:
I think if you own Borderlands:GOTY on Steam you get early access as well. I seem to recall this article here before.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/4484/

I DO NOT have the GOTY edition, however, when I look at the cd key, I see a key for DNF.
Yeah I think ALL borderlands purchasers (before GOTY release) got the key too, not just GOTY. I got in on borderlands in a 4 pack order at release (or pre-order?) with some ppl from blues, and I had the key too.
entr0py wrote on May 16, 2011, 21:04:
Funny, I thought the point of demos was to decide if you want to buy a game.
They know that since its going to probably be released to everyone on release day. This is only early access.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2011, 12:36.

9. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 16, 2011, 22:01 Cornholio

I bet this demo surpasses crysis as the most pirated game.  

8. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 16, 2011, 21:04 entr0py

Funny, I thought the point of demos was to decide if you want to buy a game.  

7. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 16, 2011, 20:47 reisub

Or just pre-order, get demo, cancel pre-order. This shit is because they know there are enough tools out there who will pre-order with the smallest crumbs chucked their way.  

6. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd [Updated] May 16, 2011, 20:44 Bumpy

5. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd May 16, 2011, 20:39 Asmo

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 16, 2011, 20:27:
Uh isn't having like having demo's blocked to people unless you pre-order prohibitive to people actually buying your product? I mean it's like buying a car, without test driving it, then being allowed to test drive it.

Yeah, seemed somewhat counter intuitive to me as well...

"Experience the demo after you commit to buying"... lolwut?

4. Re: Duke Nukem Forever First Access Demo on June 3rd May 16, 2011, 20:38 Dirwulf

I think if you own Borderlands:GOTY on Steam you get early access as well. I seem to recall this article here before.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/4484/

I DO NOT have the GOTY edition, however, when I look at the cd key, I see a key for DNF.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo