Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gotham City Impostors Announced

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment announce Gotham City Impostors, an online first-person shooter in development at Monolith Productions for digital distribution on Windows and consoles "where players battle for control of an unhinged Gotham City overrun by impostors inspired by the DC Comics characters Batman and The Joker." A preliminary Gotham City Impostors Website is online, though at the moment all it has are pointers to the game's Facebook Page and Twitter Feed. The game does not yet have a release date, but their Twitter feed says that "E3 judges got a chance to play our first map, Amusement Mile, home of the 'Fun Hole'!!" (there was apparently a pre-E3 preview session... soon the entire year will be E3), and there's a preview of the game on Kotaku where they say that since everyone in the game would want to play as Batman, no one does, an odd twist on giving the customer what he wants. They describe a multiplayer-only game with no story that "feels a bit like a Team Fortress game."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 17, 2011, 06:27 CrashTestDummy

One thing I trust Monolith with, is their ability to make really good Single Player FPS's (See: Blood,Shogo:MAD, N.O.L.F,AvP 2, F.E.A.R) , . But an online FPS would be a first for them, so I'll reserve my judgement on that.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 17, 2011, 02:43 Jerykk

Actually, this is pretty hilarious when you think about how the prototype meeting went.

Monolith: So here's our new shooter. It's a team-based, objective-driven multiplayer shooter with different classes and..."
WB: Yeah, that's great and all but there's no way we can compete with CoD. We need something to make this game stand out. Something that will attract the core audience as well as more casual gamers.
Monolith: Well, that's the thing, the game's actually really-"
WB: Batman.
Monolith: Excuse me?
WB: This is going to be a Batman shooter. Batman is all the rage right now and Arkham City is going to sell millions. Batman is the one license we own that nobody else owns. It's perfect!
Monolith: But Batman doesn't use guns...
WB: What? That's pretty stupid. Oh well, we'll just set it in the Batman universe. That's good enough for the average consumer. You won't actually get to play as Batman or anything.
Monolith: So you want to make a Batman game where you don't actually get to play as Batman. What about the other characters? Robin? Nightwing? Catwoman? Joker? Two-Face?
WB: No, no, no. That would be retarded. Nobody wants to play as those losers. Instead, there will be two teams in the game: Team Batz and Team Jokerz. They'll just be random dudes dressed up like Batman and Joker. The extra "z" at the end of their names makes them really edgy too!
Monolith: I don't know, this sounds kind of weird.
WB: Don't worry about it. We already wrote some comics with the same premise and those got a decent reception. If it works as a comic book, why wouldn't it work as a game?
Monolith: Well, first off, it-
WB: Do you want to make expansion packs for F3AR?
Monolith: ...no?
WB: Then get to work.
Monolith:

11. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 23:47 siapnar

"I'm not the one wearing hockey paanntss"

/ridiculously unnatural deep growly voice

I have projectile dysfunction.

10. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 21:32 Sepharo

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2011, 20:05:
When people play a Batman game, they want to play as Batman, not some generic dude with guns.

I believe, if I'm reading this right, that the Jokers are the T and the Batmans are the CT.

9. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 21:28 w00tie

Will we get to wear hockey pads?  

8. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 20:05 Jerykk

The premise might make sense from a narrative standpoint but it's completely pointless from a gameplay standpoint. When people play a Batman game, they want to play as Batman, not some generic dude with guns.  

7. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 19:11 Krovven

http://kotaku.com/5802443/before-playing-gotham-city-impostors-read-batman-impostors

After reading the above, the premise sounds much more interesting.

This is actually based on an already released comic story-arc...that was apparently inspired by an early concept of the video game.

6. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 18:37 w00tie

So it's basically Brink without the parkour and objective-based gameplay?  

5. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 17:52 Cutter

Why not just pay Valve to reskin TF2?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

4. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 17:33 Trevellian

This just screams terrible. Why if you were DC would you let anyone else even touch Batman right now with Arkham City on the horizon.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

3. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 16:39 siapnar

This just... doesn't make sense to me.  

I have projectile dysfunction.

2. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 16:24 Zyrxil

It's a helluva creative excuse for why everyone is a Batman clone, though.  

1. Re: Gotham City Impostors Announced May 16, 2011, 15:49 Jerykk

So... this is just another shooter, but with the Batman franchise slapped on for no apparent reason?  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo