Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer

A new trailer on G4tv.com shows how combat mechanics will work in The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings, CD Projekt RED's imminent RPG sequel. The clip demonstrates how one would kill a Witcher. The Witcher Website is counting down the seconds (literally) to the game's release next week, and ActionTrip (thanks joao) has word that the preorders of the game have gone well past the 100,000 mark. There's also a story on Gamasutra quoting Trevor Longino of Good Old Games saying their recent elimination of geo-IP checks was not specifically to allow Australians to avoid the censored version of the game planned for their territory. Finally, a Q&A on the Gamestop Facebook page (thanks Neoseeker via reddit) has word that while the game may have paid expansions, all the DLC offered as preorder incentives will be eventually released for free:

Let me announce that all our DLCs will be FREE. All of them. If anything will be for purchase, those will be expansion packs. First DLC (side-quest called "Troll Trouble") airs together with the game release.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 17, 2011, 07:40 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 16, 2011, 12:25:
I have absolutely zero fear of a game being made unplayable by DRM. I know you know what I am talking about so don't play daft.

Let me rephrase: Online activations and limited installs risk games being rendered unplayable legally. Cracks are always an option, yes, but cracks are illegal and I have to go out of my way to download them. As a consumer, I shouldn't be forced to break the law or jump through hoops to play my games.

Despite what the DMCA says cracks could be viewed as legal to make personal backups. This is an area of law that needs to be fleshed out more, making final statements right now is silly. For instance the library of congress recently said it was a-okay to jailbreak an iPhone, not matter what the DMCA says. Hell if you read the DMCA right it says that looking through the file structure of a game is illegal.

Anyway, I know you don't really have a problem with "breaking the law" to get cracks, so I guess this is a pretend conversation?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 16, 2011, 12:25 Jerykk

I have absolutely zero fear of a game being made unplayable by DRM. I know you know what I am talking about so don't play daft.

Let me rephrase: Online activations and limited installs risk games being rendered unplayable legally. Cracks are always an option, yes, but cracks are illegal and I have to go out of my way to download them. As a consumer, I shouldn't be forced to break the law or jump through hoops to play my games.

42. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 16, 2011, 10:47 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 15, 2011, 18:14:
It's not irrelevant to me. I don't like online activations or limited installs. They carry the risk of making games unplayable if their publishers get shut down or they decide to discontinue the authentication servers. If a DRM-free game sells well, publishers may at least tone down their DRM, if not remove it completely.

That can never happen on the PC. DRM is irrelevant because it is made irrelevant on day one by the community. I have absolutely zero fear of a game being made unplayable by DRM. I know you know what I am talking about so don't play daft.

Jerykk wrote on May 15, 2011, 18:14:
I don't think anyone has issues with the concept of boxed copies. The problem with boxed copies is that they cost a lot of money to manufacture and distribute and that requires publishers, who in turn require DRM. If there were a DRM-free boxed copy of Witcher 2, I probably would have gone for it.

On a side note, is there any reason why you can't just pre-order the GOG version now and buy the boxed version in a year when it's much cheaper? The GOG release has digital versions of all the bonus stuff included with the boxed copies, so it's not like you'd be missing out on content. Your desire for a boxed copy is driven by collector's instinct but there's no reason why that instinct can't be fulfilled later on.

I'm going to do the opposite and buy the GOG version someday, for the artbook it comes with as well as supporting CDP. I just bought The Witcher again on GOG just to give them $5 and get a copy of the art book PDF.

As for boxed copies I know they support developers less, which is a shame. I've been buying PC games in boxes for 20 years though and I like doing it, so unless the only way to get a game is online I am going to keep buying boxes. The GOG version being DRM free does not matter to me, since every version is DRM free in reality.

41. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 15, 2011, 18:14 Jerykk

Honestly DRM is irrelevant as you yourself know.

It's not irrelevant to me. I don't like online activations or limited installs. They carry the risk of making games unplayable if their publishers get shut down or they decide to discontinue the authentication servers. If a DRM-free game sells well, publishers may at least tone down their DRM, if not remove it completely.

On top of that if they didn't want people to buy it in a box they shouldn't have made one, and made one so deluxe and packed with goodies. If it was like a Valve release (just a disc in and piece of paper) then I probably would have got it on GOG and picked up the box in a couple years for $5.

I don't think anyone has issues with the concept of boxed copies. The problem with boxed copies is that they cost a lot of money to manufacture and distribute and that requires publishers, who in turn require DRM. If there were a DRM-free boxed copy of Witcher 2, I probably would have gone for it.

On a side note, is there any reason why you can't just pre-order the GOG version now and buy the boxed version in a year when it's much cheaper? The GOG release has digital versions of all the bonus stuff included with the boxed copies, so it's not like you'd be missing out on content. Your desire for a boxed copy is driven by collector's instinct but there's no reason why that instinct can't be fulfilled later on.

40. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 15, 2011, 07:51 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2011, 23:03:
Like others have mentioned, I'd prefer to have a physical copy of the game with all the extra stuff. However, in this case, the implications of GOG's success far outweigh whatever my personal preferences may be. The more people that buy The Witcher 2 from GOG, the stronger the argument for DRM-free gaming. If you want a future without DRM, this is the first step.

Honestly DRM is irrelevant as you yourself know. I want boxed copies to continue being made during a time when many games are going digital only, so in a sense supporting the boxed copy is more important to me. On top of that if they didn't want people to buy it in a box they shouldn't have made one, and made one so deluxe and packed with goodies. If it was like a Valve release (just a disc in and piece of paper) then I probably would have got it on GOG and picked up the box in a couple years for $5.

39. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 15, 2011, 05:20 Flatline

Already pre-ordered from GOG. Thumbs up for the free DLC.  

38. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 23:03 Jerykk

Like others have mentioned, I'd prefer to have a physical copy of the game with all the extra stuff. However, in this case, the implications of GOG's success far outweigh whatever my personal preferences may be. The more people that buy The Witcher 2 from GOG, the stronger the argument for DRM-free gaming. If you want a future without DRM, this is the first step.  

37. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 22:56 xXBatmanXx

Pyloff wrote on May 14, 2011, 16:41:
I purchased my copy from GoG. I even suffered through the original version with the horrific load times. Once they released the enhanced edition for free I was hooked. I'm looking forward to the papercrafts, I just need to find a good free color printer. I've got a bunch I want to print out.

I really want to support GoG, but I think this will be a retail box buy for me (again) as I have 2 copies of the original (one import of the M version and then a regular US version). I want all of those goodies in physical form, not digitally.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 21:59 Sempai

And this is how you do it.

I hope and pray these guys get the sales they deserve.

/Kudo's CD Projekt

35. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 21:47 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2011, 01:26:
If you've pre-ordered Witcher 2 from anywhere other than GOG, you need to cancel it and order from GOG. If the Witcher 2 sells well on GOG, it may help publishers see the light and be more lax on DRM in the future. It may also help GOG get more high-profile games, DRM-free. And of course, buying from GOG ensures that the developers see the most reward for their work.

Yes, every digital purchase should be on GOG. For us box collectors though it's a no-go, sadly.

34. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 18:21 Mashiki Amiketo

entr0py wrote on May 14, 2011, 17:43:
That brings up a question, does GoG provide offline installation files that can easily be burned to a DVD? I have no faith that the company will still exist 3 years from now, much less 10.
When I picked up my copy of Freespace 2 because my disks were junk(yay CD fungus-teach me to sharpie the edge of my cd's), the installer was all-in-one with everything as is. Basically a series of archives totaling 3.7gb, with an installer that wrote the registry keys.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

33. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 18:08 Jerykk

That brings up a question, does GoG provide offline installation files that can easily be burned to a DVD?

Yes. The setup files are completely standalone and don't require online activation or anything. You can save them where you want and burn them to disc as well.

Think I need to see my doctor soon because I keep reaching for my wallet, must some weird disease because I dont pay for games I don't get to own resell...but every time I read about this or watch video clips I keep reaching for my wallet! If there was an option to buy a boxed copy with no drm this would be an easy sale.

Fixed.

32. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 17:43 entr0py

Tumbler wrote on May 14, 2011, 14:52:
Think I need to see my doctor soon because I keep reaching for my wallet, must some weird disease because I dont pay for games I don't get to own...but every time I read about this or watch video clips I keep reaching for my wallet! If there was an option to buy a boxed copy with no drm this would be an easy sale.

That brings up a question, does GoG provide offline installation files that can easily be burned to a DVD? I have no faith that the company will still exist 3 years from now, much less 10.

31. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 17:37 RollinThundr

Bravo CD Projekt!  

30. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 16:41 Pyloff

I purchased my copy from GoG. I even suffered through the original version with the horrific load times. Once they released the enhanced edition for free I was hooked. I'm looking forward to the papercrafts, I just need to find a good free color printer. I've got a bunch I want to print out.  

29. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 14:52 Tumbler

Think I need to see my doctor soon because I keep reaching for my wallet, must some weird disease because I dont pay for games I don't get to own...but every time I read about this or watch video clips I keep reaching for my wallet! If there was an option to buy a boxed copy with no drm this would be an easy sale.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

28. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 13:15 Overon

Dev wrote on May 14, 2011, 12:15:
As I recall, GoG purchases also have NO drm.
GOG purchases have no DRM that is correct.
Let me add one extra bit of information. Don't forget that GOG is not longer using geolocation to determine which game they will give you.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/05/witcher-2-modified-for-australian-ma15-release/
So if you live in some place where the game is censored, buying from GOG not only means that CD Projekt gets the most money out of the purchase, but you can say you are located in a country that is not subject to your stupid censorship.

Live in Australia, don't want any censorship bullshit? In your GOG account select another country where it's not censored. Problem solved and all legal.

Fuck game censorship and fuck nitwit prudish politicians and all the thought police whack jobs who vote for them.

27. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 12:15 Dev

As I recall, GoG purchases also have NO drm.  

26. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 12:06 El Pit

Okay, done. Cancelled my Play preorder and bought it from GOG for $45. That's a fair price compared to the $60+ Europeans are charged for the game. The store credit is not interesting for a lot of people, so they only see the high price. As a freebie I chose Divine Divinity. Always loved that game.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

25. Re: The Witcher 2 DLC Will Be Free, Combat Trailer May 14, 2011, 08:19 Comet

I don't want to sound like a fan boy but truth is a big part of the reason why I'm willing to risk on this guys is because it has been quite a long time since I've seen a big developer house making sure they're delivering high value content to their consumers. And the first Witcher was truly a remarkable game. I really hope they can surpass their own expectations on the number of sales they make. We still don't have the game at hands but from what I've been reading the gaming press has been very surprised with the preview and I can't remember the last time I've seen a developer team so pumped up for the game their about to release. But above all I've never seen a developer house giving so much effort to have a game that people truly don't want to pirate. They're trying not to overcharge people based on territories. They have a DRM free version of the game if people really want it. They're making a worldwide release instead of a regional based release. For a default market price this days you get a game full of bonus content that is usually only available on premium editions. They've tried their best showcasing all aspects of the game so people really know what their getting into. Unlike others they've decided to use DLC as a motif for you to actually want to buy the game and not as a way to rip off some more bucks. They made a game that will for sure come to consoles somewhere in the future but so far strives to take advantage of this generation of computers. A true investment in PC gaming.
For those that love RPGs but are in doubt about getting this game I invite you to see the CDP Conference presentation of this year.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo