Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned

Steam News announces the planned patch for Brink is now available, addressing some issues with the recently released first-person shooter. Also, the Bethesda Blog has word that to thank owners of the game for their support, the first Brink DLC will be released for free: "We would like to thank you for supporting Brink and for your continued feedback. To show our appreciation for your support of Brink, we will be making the first DLC for Brink available for free when it is released. This DLC is planned for June and will offer additional maps and new content for players. We’ll continue to provide announcements about the next title update, as well as the first DLC release as that information becomes available." The patch notes follow.

General:
Fixed issues with custom ui_fov settings when playing as a client
Added support for 2560x1440
Slightly improved start up times
Fixed crash when clicking in blank area on Training Videos menu
Fixed memory leaks on shutdown
Fixed Be More Objective leaderboards being incorrectly named

Graphics:
Fixed “texture gridding” issues on certain graphics cards
Fixed settings being incorrectly applied on the advanced video options screen
Improved performance when using Ambient Occlusion
Fixed halos not rendering correctly

AI Bots:
Removed bot intelligence inhibitors for Freeplay games
Adjusted bot behaviour in Campaign games to make teams more evenly matched
Changed bots’ objective priorities across all game modes
Fixed issue with bot difficulty continually dropping

User Interface:
Fixed poor server browser performance for users with a large number of items in their history
Made server browser refreshes much more responsive
Changed server browser to no longer group player counts by max players
Added new pop-up text for server browser filters
Fixed not being able to sort by favourites column
Server browser now retrieves favourites correctly from Steam
Fixed arrow keys not working when exiting out of a chat submenu
Made it easier to select a default secondary weapon
Disabled chat options in solo mode

Dedicated Servers:
Can now use net_ip command to assign IPs to server instances
Dedicated server binary can now be run as a service, which won't have a CSIDL_PERSONAL virtual folder

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

30. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 12:01 Killswitch

born2expire wrote on May 14, 2011, 00:23:
I seem to lose sounds on more maps now :(/quote]

Yeah, I've been losing sound on more than just Refuel now. Enemies also sometimes totally disappear so I can't see them and there's some numbers/letters that are corrupt so they look like static.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 10:59 DaZ

For those getting low framerates, are you experiencing this in single player and/or challenges? Because the single player portions seem to have a hard limit of 30fps. Don't ask me why I have no clue!

I played a few challenges and then went online and my fps instantly doubled and is a solid 60+ fps in online games.

I suppose its worth mentioning I'm using a 460gtx

28. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 10:13 Killswitch

Thing I don't like about the game is how easily you can die. It's a tactical FPS, but it plays like a deathmatch and I find it difficult to have any kind of safe strategy. You can get headshot and die instantly, but some weapons will kill you before you can even figure out what direction you're getting hit from. I spend most of my time waiting for respawn and walking back to the action.

But I definitely don't think it's worth $50 for what amounts to 8 multiplayer maps and nothing more. They aren't doing us any favors by giving away free DLC. I kind of feel like they owe it to me. heh

Another thing I wanted to point out was how good the player models look--however, I rarely ever notice what other people look like in game. I don't know if it's because I'm always looking for nametags above heads to tell if they are friend or foe or what, but I feel as if the avatar customization is just a big gimmick.

27. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 10:06 Cutter

ASeven wrote on May 14, 2011, 09:46:
A frustrating aspect of this game is that those who don't know whether to buy the game or not have no idea if they should. I know this is a game unlike other FPS and it's more akin to ET which I love but even when I go to ET related forums opinion there is also quite divided, which leaves me wondering if I would love this game or not. This is clearly a game where a demo is truly needed.

Unless you're really itching for a new FPS to play I'd hold off for a while. After a few patches and some mods it'll really be worth it, but definitely not now. Whilst I"m glad I only paid $37 for it with the D2D 25% off sale, I still feel I grossly overpaid for what I've got. Oddly enough I don't think a demo would really give you an informed opinion on whether to buy or not in this case. As you can see by the general feel out there most people are really liking it or really dissapointed so far, and I'm one of the latter which sucks considering how stoked I was for this game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

26. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 09:46 ASeven

A frustrating aspect of this game is that those who don't know whether to buy the game or not have no idea if they should. I know this is a game unlike other FPS and it's more akin to ET which I love but even when I go to ET related forums opinion there is also quite divided, which leaves me wondering if I would love this game or not. This is clearly a game where a demo is truly needed.  

25. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 07:57 Jerykk

Yeah, I've tried turning off AO and shadows but I'm still not getting 60 FPS. It feels like I'm getting 20-30 FPS.  

24. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 07:13 xXBatmanXx

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 14, 2011, 06:12:
Damn. Was playing Challenges for the first time after the patch... CTD.

When I crouch and fire, it CTD on an ironsight and muzzle flash error. WTF.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 06:12 xXBatmanXx

Damn. Was playing Challenges for the first time after the patch... CTD.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 05:53 kyleb

zerobytes wrote on May 14, 2011, 02:02:
...the second you have to click a button with the mouse to skip.
Enter works too.

21. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 05:10 Warskull

Jerykk wrote on May 14, 2011, 03:12:
What drivers are you using Jerykk? I have a single 4870 using the 11.2 drivers and everything is perfectly smooth for me.

I'm using the 11.5a hotfix drivers which were supposedly designed specifically for BRINK. Still runs like ass, though.

When I tried the 11.5a drivers they made the game run worse. A lot of people are reporting better performance without them. Also try turning ambient occlusion off or shadows off. I think it is g_shadows 0.

This most recent patch was a vast improvement for me. It is not perfect, but a huge step in the right direction.

20. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 03:12 Jerykk

What drivers are you using Jerykk? I have a single 4870 using the 11.2 drivers and everything is perfectly smooth for me.

I'm using the 11.5a hotfix drivers which were supposedly designed specifically for BRINK. Still runs like ass, though.

19. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 02:52 born2expire

ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 14, 2011, 00:44:
Totally not buying this game.. nothing I've read about it is good.. shame too.

everyone in this thread that has played the game has been leaving positive feedback.
If your talking about reviews, keep in mind they are all based off the xbox version and their panties are in a knot because it doesn't play like COD and their is no single player.

18. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 02:11 Cornholio

Despite the fact I have to turn every thing down to low I am still playing the shit out of this game.

It is fun... it's a whole lot better than I was expecting.
It's just a matter of getting your character setup to how you play.

I use an SMG so I can run and gun, because I hate using iron sights and such, and a sniper rifle setup.

Works pretty good so far.

17. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 02:02 Killswitch

One thing that I find really irritating are the two intros and the outro of every map. You have to push a key to skip the first intro, but the second you have to click a button with the mouse to skip. You can use the mouse on the first button, but the pointer gets reset to the center of the screen so that you can't just simply push the button on the next one without moving the pointer first. You also have to wait for all players to click ready before the map starts and there doesn't seem to be any [apparent] timer on that besides a 10 second countdown that keeps resetting once it hits 0. After everyone finally clicks in, you have to sit through yet another waiting period in the form of a 8 second countdown! There's no way to skip the outro so you have to sit through that a thousand times and then there's a 45 second timer after the outro before the next map will load.

Not to mention all the waiting around for respawn since I'm always getting one-shot..

16. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 01:27 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

15. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 01:21 Jerykk

This patch hasn't improved my performance at all. I still get crap framerates even with all the detail settings toned down and I have a 4870x2.  

14. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 01:09 space captain

had my fill of ET years ago  
Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 01:05 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, some of the maps are gonna take a little while to learn. I'm having a good time with the game. I hope they get the voice chat working on it soon though. That would help a lot with the team coordination.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 01:01 Doc4

ColoradoHoudini wrote on May 14, 2011, 00:44:

Then read this: It's good.

I've been having an absolute blast with this game. The weapons feel and sound right. I really like the art direction of the futuristic maps (though the container maps are not my cup of tea). The team play is spot on for me, and I've seen plenty of support from fellow players out there. No technical issues except for sound cutting out on the Hangar 18 map.

I've been knee deep in this game for 30 hours logged now and enjoy the hell out of it, more so than I expected.

Yesterday I had what I believe to be a developer with a special tag drop by, ask what we thought of the game, and fight with us for a bit too.

Tom / Doc4

- Some of the maps confused the hell out of me the first few times though.

11. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 00:44 ColoradoHoudini

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo