Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

AvP Sequel Downplayed

SEGA West CEO Mike Hayes tells Eurogamer that an Aliens vs. Predator sequel is not being considered at the moment, in spite of apparent interest early last year. "The Aliens universe is so interesting that there are different things that we can do before we go back to an idea of sequelisation," Hayes says. "There's a lot more we can do first before we would consider doing a sequel on AVP."

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 14, 2011, 16:50 swaaye

AVP2 is pretty clunky and the aliens are way way too fast for me. I can't even get a bead on them most of the time because they move so stupid fast.

But I like the game's atmosphere and the extensive singleplayer. Good stuff there.

AVP 2010 had really small maps and was very short. Those were my biggest gripes. It was super linear and confining.

The PC AVP from '00 is my least favorite of them all though. Like somebody else said, it's simplistic and rather incoherent in some ways. Ugly game for the time too. It's super dark and this makes it moody and that's what people seem to like most. The Steam re-release works very well if anyone wants to play it again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 13, 2011, 20:11 Jedi Master

You're wrong on both counts. This had no relation to the original other than the "play as all 3 sides" part. The original had really no story, it was pretty simplistic. It had tons of atmosphere, though, and was genuinely scary.
The Lithtech engine was used for AvP2, not the original, which used an engine Rebellion made themselves. It was pretty much a direct reuse of the NOLF1 game, even using some of the same character animations. I liked AvP2 more than AvP1 for the story and combat, even though the original as I said was scary and the 2nd failed at that.
In some ways, you could say AvP1 was like Alien and AvP2 was like Aliens. AvP 2010 was more like AvP the film.

24. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 13, 2011, 09:55 bhcompy

This was just a remake of the original wasn't it? The original was bombass, by the way. No other game had it where you could staple corpses to the wall with the Predator sniper. Plus it had the LithTech engine, my favorite engine.  

23. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 13, 2011, 08:32 kanniballl

The last one I recall playing was Aliens vs Predator 2 on the PC. it was a while ago.

I recall enjoying the single-player campaign. They did a good job at capturing the spooky/scary feeling at times... more-so if you played in a room with the lights off. Some of the human missions were down-right creepy towards the beginning.

The story wasn't horrid either, while I'm typically not a fan of toggling between different factions I thought it did an alright job at telling the story.

I don't remember that much about gameplay though; just bits and pieces like the net gun, some of the alien moves/attacks, and the visual modes. Oh and the Smart Gun.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

22. it`s true..... May 13, 2011, 08:19 Shataan

" It's lacking too much. Not being able to crouch and aim down sights was laughable."

Add to that not being able to just host a server and go in by yourself to check out the maps.

" Sucks because it looked good while sucking."

The Art Design team and Mocap dudes along with the A.I. guys, these were the only part of the team who didn`t drop the ball on AVP 2010. But the game play design guys should be fired, and then flogged.

Rebellion/Sega were morons for letting this 1 die the way it did. It could have been a really cool game. It should have been better than DOOM III. Too bad the licence can`t go to a Developer who actually cares. I mean REALLY cares. Care not being JUST a freaking marketing B/S tactic.

21. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 13, 2011, 06:46 Lorcin

Dw - I was drunk anyway. Only know I was on this thread thanks to history  

20. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 13, 2011, 06:27 Ventura

... including praying that people somehow forget how utterly, hopelessly terrible the last game was.

Granted, it may not have been the best game, but a description such as "utterly, hopelessly terrible" is just a bit too harsh for my liking.

Being a big fan of both franchises, I bought AvP on release day, and it's not a purchase I regret. It could have been better, granted, but I enjoyed the marine and predator campaigns, and do feel like I got my money's worth.

19. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 13, 2011, 00:32 spindoctor

"There's a lot more we can do first before we would consider doing a sequel on AVP."

... including praying that people somehow forget how utterly, hopelessly terrible the last game was.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

18. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 13, 2011, 00:15 bigspender

come on - crysis engine, squad full of badass rescue team types in columbia. oh wait thats predator.

well nevermind...

I think colonial marines (if gearbox software ever release the damn thing) will be awesome. it basically copies the good bits from the movies. perfect.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

17. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 23:27 Razumen

Surf wrote on May 12, 2011, 23:04:
Not sure why they just didn't capture the first game and up a few things such as the graphics? It was a blast, why reinvent the wheel all over again?

Because such a thing wouldn't "work" in today's gaming scene. Kids these days need to be held by the hand by tutorials and blinking quest markers, can only navigate easily visualized linear pathways and need a cut scene every 5 minute or they'll get bored. Not too mention 99% of them would rage quit if it had half the difficulty of the first.

16. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 23:13 Wildone

I loved getting E grabbed from half way across the room for a played out quicktime event..yea it was so much fun  

15. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 23:12 OldScho0l

Lorcin wrote on May 12, 2011, 23:03:
Well I must have watched Aliens > 100 times (I was 14 when it was released) and I certainly don't remember much aiming. AFAIK most of the shooting was actually from the hip in aliens, no guns in alien 1 or 3 and oh wait!!!!

Your the bloke in the wheelchair from Alien 4 - grats dude you aimed (although your leg was getting burned off by acid at the time but hey - GRATS!)

Alright alright alright! I get your point, but it's way more than just the crouch and aim. Even overlooking those, the game is just boring (Looks awesome).

PS: (As most Blues news trolls know)
I don't mean any of the shit I say on here. I just turn into nerd-rage-man when people constantly troll here. It gets old, so I verbally abuse them. I too grew up with the movies and am probably even older than you, hence the name. Don't take my words personally. It would be a waste of energy.

14. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 23:06 Lorcin

cause back when avp was released not everybody was the direct descendant of jesus and had infinite re-spawning health and resurrection points every 2m?  

13. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 23:04 Surf

Not sure why they just didn't capture the first game and up a few things such as the graphics? It was a blast, why reinvent the wheel all over again?  

12. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 23:03 Lorcin

Well I must have watched Aliens > 100 times (I was 14 when it was released) and I certainly don't remember much aiming. AFAIK most of the shooting was actually from the hip in aliens, no guns in alien 1 or 3 and oh wait!!!!

Your the bloke in the wheelchair from Alien 4 - grats dude you aimed (although your leg was getting burned off by acid at the time but hey - GRATS!)

11. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 22:59 OldScho0l

Lorcin wrote on May 12, 2011, 22:56:
OldScho0l wrote on May 12, 2011, 22:54:
You're an idiot! STFU! I can have any opinion I want and if you don't like it, so what? If I wanted any shit out of you, I would squeeze your pimple covered head!

LOL Fuck you - I'm an adult and a parent so here. IT'S PAST YOUR BEDTIME - GOODNIGHT.

I suppose that they didn't crouch or aim in any of the movies. I feel bad for your kids. Real bright one you are. Flamethrower

This comment was edited on May 12, 2011, 23:05.

10. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 22:58 nin

@Lorcin
You're an idiot! STFU! I can have any opinion I want and if you don't like it, so what? If I wanted any shit out of you, I would squeeze your pimple covered head!

Ok, hands up for who's surprised, based on the rest of his comment, he got "You're" correct.

<raises hand>

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 22:56 Lorcin

LOL Fuck you - I'm an adult and a parent so here. IT'S PAST YOUR BEDTIME - GOODNIGHT.

8. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 22:54 OldScho0l

@Lorcin

7. Re: AvP Sequel Downplayed May 12, 2011, 22:41 Trevellian

Alien Trilogy on the PS1 was better than that piece of garbage they released last year, and I paid 60 bucks for that piece of crap. Full on disappointment. 2 Survival levels and only one was interesting? Really? Thanks a lot.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo