Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment

NowGamer offers quotes from the current issue of Play Magazine where Obsidian Entertainment CEO (and Black Isle Studios veteran) Feargus Urquhart talks about the possibility of creating a sequel to Planescape: Torment, the highly regarded RPG developed by Black Isle towards the end of the last millennium. He says this was ruled out about ten years ago, but this doesn't mean it's still out of the question, though it doesn't sound like this is going anywhere particular at the moment:

“I remember right after finishing Planescape: Torment I spoke to Chris Avellone [Obsidian creative director] and asked what he wanted to do, and he was like, ‘I don’t wanna do a sequel!’ We haven’t talked about it in ten years, but it might be different now. But a lot of revisiting old games is about saying, ‘okay, that worked in 1999, what would work now?’ And how would you do it again?”

But while it’s not entirely off the table, Urquhart does have concerns that would have to be addressed: “We’d have to think a lot about it, because it would have to be done right, otherwise the fans of the original would be pissed off and new people wouldn’t get it. That would be terrible.”

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 13, 2011, 12:36 Dades

They used their own tech for Dungeon Siege III so it should be telling to see how they do in terms of bugs.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 13, 2011, 11:02 avianflu

Chris Avellone has considerable talents as a writer of stories, but otherwise imho Obsidian repeatedly stumbles with adapting existing game engines to their needs.  

21. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 13, 2011, 07:51 Ray Ban

avianflu wrote on May 13, 2011, 07:21:
"Given their latest efforts, I don't think Obsidian is up to the task."

well said, in a nutshell

Given that Fallout: New Vegas is their latest effort, their best game ever, and IMHO a great game in itself, I don't see a good reason to doubt their ability to make a great RPG.

Then again, no-one would actually make this sequel in a way that would please the fans of the original (mass appeal, financial risks, etc...).

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

20. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 13, 2011, 07:21 avianflu

"Given their latest efforts, I don't think Obsidian is up to the task."

well said, in a nutshell

19. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 13, 2011, 04:13 Jerykk

I hope it gets approved. While I don't entirely have faith that Obsidian will do the sequel justice, I'm happy to ignore it if it turns out to be shit. That doesn't diminish the original in my mind. But hell, give it a shot.

I don't really see the point. There's no way it'll have even a fraction of the dialogue that PST had and that was the game's strongest trait. Hell, they'd probably turn it into a hack 'n slash dungeon crawler or something. That's what they did with the first console iterations of Fallout and Baldur's Gate.

18. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 13, 2011, 02:54 entr0py

Next to Fallout, which they sold the rights to, Planescape Torment was definitely Black Isle's best game. I know a sequel seems unlikely, but it seems like 90% of the games that get the green light from major publishers are sequels. Even if the average console gamer has never heard of it, the respect that PS:T earned among older PC gamers (including most professional reviewers) has got to be worth something.

I hope it gets approved. While I don't entirely have faith that Obsidian will do the sequel justice, I'm happy to ignore it if it turns out to be shit. That doesn't diminish the original in my mind. But hell, give it a shot.

17. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 22:23 Downer28

Cutter wrote on May 12, 2011, 19:38:
Hell, all I've ever wanted to see was a really beautiful game based on The Legend of Huma. I'd give a lot for that.

Hell yeah! Legend of Huma was one of my favorites growing up as a kid. I think I read it twice and reading your post is making me want to read it a third time. It was such a fantastic journey with an absolutely epic ending.

16. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 22:16 Jerykk

Well, apart from some rather crappy FR games like Menzoberrazan and DTUM, we've had what? Baldur's Gate , Icewind Dale, Pool of Radiance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_computer_and_video_games

Forgotten Realms completely dominates that list.

15. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 20:50 ldonyo

Another game set in Sigil, absolutely! Another game with the Nameless One? No way! Starting out in Sigil would be great and allow the game to go anywhere else in the D&D multiverse, just find the right door!

The hardest part for the devs would be in creating NPCs that were as deep and as interactive as those in PS:T (or the Baldur's Gate games, or the Icewind Dale games). That would take some serious resources from both the voice talent and writing talent perspectives on top of what it would take from gameplay and core engine resources.

I wouldn't mind seeing CDProjekt Red take a crack at this. Given their latest efforts, I don't think Obsidian is up to the task.

14. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 20:34 Icewind

Drayth wrote on May 12, 2011, 20:11:
THIS SUMMER - THE NAMELESS ONE'S BACK!!!

You thought he [snip]

^This is so true, sadly.

PS:T2 would end up exactly like Dragon Age 2. Some anime-inspired diablo rip-off with no real substance whatsoever.

Let the first game stand on its own and remain untainted.

13. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 20:11 Drayth

THIS SUMMER - THE NAMELESS ONE'S BACK!!!

You thought he was gone.. oh, NO.. you were WRONG. Activision in association with Codemasters (Makers of the run away hits Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and Red River) present, Torment 2 - Shadows of Destruction.

"..one of the first things we wanted to do was do away with putting Planescape in the title. We want to keep the focus on The Nameless One, because we've really gone to great measure to beef up the game play with him. From being able to spit fireballs, to eating the corpses of your fallen foes to gain experience and new abilities - we've really up'ed the adrenaline of playing this character to the next level.".

"You mean, you press a button and something awesome happens?", a question that brought laughs to everyone in the room.

"Hahaha.. well actually, in a manner of speaking, yes."

The development team went on to show us a demo of the opening level giving us a peek at the Egoengine's new improved, and heavily streamlined UI for Torment 2.

"As you can see here, Morte now actually serves a purpose.. he acts as the in game quest marker.. always pointing in the direction your character needs to go. Think of him as your built in compass..."

12. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 20:05 EricTheMad

So the big news here is that they never really considered doing a sequel and they still aren't.  
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

11. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 19:44 Dades

Some things are better left alone.  

10. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 19:38 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on May 12, 2011, 18:40:
Hanging out in Mechanus and the Brass City is where I want to be! I still wish TSR was around because it amazes me that WOTC is still in business the way they've under-utilized those IPs (Forgotten Realms, Krynn, Greyhawk, Planescape, Ravenloft) particularly when it comes to video games.

While I agree with the other settings, how is Forgotten Realms even remotely underused? If anything, it's overused.

Well, apart from some rather crappy FR games like Menzoberrazan and DTUM, we've had what? Baldur's Gate , Icewind Dale, Pool of Radiance. Including the the 90s we've had maybe 1/2 dozen good FR games in the last 20 years? Maybe? A long way off from when SSI was knocking out stuff on a regular basis. Granted production costs have soared and what not, but seeing as the FR is their biggest IP you'd think there'd be a lot more...lot more! Hell, all I've ever wanted to see was a really beautiful game based on The Legend of Huma. I'd give a lot for that.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 19:21 JediPunisher

I'd love a sequel to my second favorite rpg of all time!
However, due to their not so stellar track record lately, Obsidian should farm out the sequel to CD Projekt Red.

8. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 18:40 Jerykk

Hanging out in Mechanus and the Brass City is where I want to be! I still wish TSR was around because it amazes me that WOTC is still in business the way they've under-utilized those IPs (Forgotten Realms, Krynn, Greyhawk, Planescape, Ravenloft) particularly when it comes to video games.

While I agree with the other settings, how is Forgotten Realms even remotely underused? If anything, it's overused.

7. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 18:37 Flatline

Downer28 wrote on May 12, 2011, 18:27:
‘okay, that worked in 1999, what would work now?’

Uhh...the same damn thing that worked in 1999 would work now. It's considered one of the best RPGs ever for a reason you numbskulls. Hey, I know, let's mutilate its namesake by coating over the shallow gameplay we introduce with shiny graphics to appeal to the 2011 crowd. *rolls eyes*

Yeah but it was pretty much a financial flop when it released. It took years to achieve the cult status it has (even though it was reviewed really, really well. I attribute this to what might be the most ugly box art ever).

I'll tell you what wouldn't work in 2011: the text. There's hundreds of thousands of words of text that most people would *never* sit around for.

Which means basically voice acting, which intrinsically limits the length of the game severely.

I agree that another Planescape game would be fun but for the love of God please don't touch the Torment story. It's perfect as it is.

6. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 18:27 Mashiki Amiketo

I always liked the planescape universe in D&D most people preferred forgotten realms, but I always thought it was rather bland. Too bad that PS was left to die for the most part. I'd love to see a new planescape game, it's one of those places where you could do a hell of a lot, especially with the 'reality is clay' line of thinking.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 18:27 Downer28

‘okay, that worked in 1999, what would work now?’

Uhh...the same damn thing that worked in 1999 would work now. It's considered one of the best RPGs ever for a reason you numbskulls. Hey, I know, let's mutilate its namesake by coating over the shallow gameplay we introduce with shiny graphics to appeal to the 2011 crowd. *rolls eyes*

4. Re: Obsidian on Reprising Planescape: Torment May 12, 2011, 18:11 Cutter

Yeah, in today's world of ADD kids and all flash, zero substance games I have a hard time imagining they could do a follow-up to PST that would be financially viable. Still, it would be awesome! There's no reason they couldn't do another CRPG set in Planescape though. It wouldn't be as long, or as deep, but it'd be good times all the same. Hanging out in Mechanus and the Brass City is where I want to be! I still wish TSR was around because it amazes me that WOTC is still in business the way they've under-utilized those IPs (Forgotten Realms, Krynn, Greyhawk, Planescape, Ravenloft) particularly when it comes to video games. Had they played their card right - and still can - they could be a monster like Marvel now. I still say an MOG based on the FR done right could be a ginormous success. It's not like they're lacking for canon/material.

I hope Feargus is serious about this because it'd be really cruel to get our hopes up like this otherwise.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo