Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up. Somebody set us up the bomb. May 12, 2011, 21:17 jimnms

I've only a few PSUs go bad, and the it was the cheap ones that died silently and the expensive ones that blew up. The last one to die was an expensive, good brand, new PSU in my last system that I built. It died after 6 months. It was working fine all day the previous day. I shut it down at night, but wouldn't power on the next morning. I contacted support to get a replacement. They wouldn't cross ship the replacement, and I needed to get my system back up, so I had to drive 2 hours round trip to the nearest Best Buy to get one. I ended up with a better PSU than the one that dies, but I had to pay the Best Buy "tax" for it.

I didn't unplug the old one before I left, and when I got home 2 hours later from Best Buy with a new PSU, a minute or two after getting in, the computer turns itself on and smoke, sparks and flames start shooting out of the PSU.

The system survived, but was never quite right after that. I think it messed something up with the SATA controller because every now and then it wouldn't detect any drives plugged in it. When it did this I would have to open the case, unplug them and plug them back in before it would work.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up. Somebody set us up the bomb. May 12, 2011, 10:06 Weaseal

Carmack's been pro-nVidia for a long time. Not vehemently or strictly, but as with this article, he consistently leans somewhat in that direction.

While I personally tend to choose ATI/AMD (for 3 consecutive generations now), his rationale does make good sense, especially given the recent context of the Brink/ATI issues.

1. Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up. Somebody set us up the bomb. May 12, 2011, 00:44 LittleMe

You have no chance to survive, make your time.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo