Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

No Fable III Windows Demo

The post by Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson which included an announcement of a Windows demo for Fable III has been edited to say this plan has been cancelled, as it now says: "I’ve been informed that a Fable III PC demo is no longer scheduled." Though that indicates a change in plans, a story on IncGamers adds a little confusion to the mix, as they say they were told by Lionhead that there was never a plan for a Windows demo in the first place, and that this is all a misunderstanding. Since the blog and Lionhead are both owned by Microsoft, it's hard to understand how such confusion could arise, but there you have it.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 12, 2011, 01:02 PropheT

The Half Elf wrote on May 11, 2011, 23:08:
WRONG. Sorry typically don't do that but it's justified. Fable 2 was great step forward from Fable 1 in just about every aspect, and Fable 3 was 2 steps back from Fable 2.

We could probably just agree to disagree. Fable 1 was fantastic and the more sandbox approach of Fable 2, though appealing to some people, was definitely not a step forward to me since it removed the focus of the story and killed any urgency your actions had. Fable 3 puts that back, for the most part, while still maintaining some of the sandbox aspect of Fable 2.

Having limited outcomes makes the story more straightforward and direct. I actually like that.
Town management is more or less the same as Fable 2; the key is to only own housing units until you can put the money into businesses. Businesses don't require upkeep, so no micromanagement necessary and you can easily get enough money that way to succeed.
The dog is the same as in Fable 2. It's not really any different, and it's kind of a pointless gimmick in both. Unlike in Fable 2, though, I can just forget about him and it doesn't really hurt me in 3. He doesn't take any maintenance or anything, he's just kinda there.

Not that Fable 3 doesn't do some dumb things, but there's nothing I found overtly game breaking. I still like the first game the best, but I really had fun with 3 and didn't always with 2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 23:08 The Half Elf

entr0py wrote on May 11, 2011, 18:31:
As someone who's actually played it, Fable 3 wasn't that bad. Like every Fable game it has a lot of flaws, but also has parts are enjoyable and well done. The combat and visuals stand out as the two areas that are definitely improved over Fable 2.

In my view the social interaction system in the series was always shallow and lame, that continues in a slightly mutated form. They tried to do something new and interesting with the focus on money making, and the ethical choices in the second half of the game that weren't black and white. Unfortunately, neither really turned out fun, satisfying, or particularly well thought out.

Ultimately I think the best way to enjoy the game is to simply ignore all the optional lameness. I'd recommend concentrating on exploring, questing, and the main story line. I'd never buy it at full price, but maybe $20.

WRONG. Sorry typically don't do that but it's justified. Fable 2 was great step forward from Fable 1 in just about every aspect, and Fable 3 was 2 steps back from Fable 2.
The story just sorta gets rushed at you when you become king, you can't change it except for 2 possible outcomes.
Town management is even worse then Fable 2 and really needs a 'repair all/upkeep all' option.
The dog is just STUPID. I loved the dog in Fable 2, as it was useful and enjoyable to play with, and the maps while nice have way too much back tracking.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

22. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 22:52 entr0py

Slashman wrote on May 11, 2011, 19:56:
grudgebearer wrote on May 11, 2011, 19:39:
This needs to be posted in every Fable III thread...

I enjoyed Fable II on XBox...there was no depth to it...but it was a light-hearted, fun game to waste a few hours on...

And pretty much everything that was good in Fable II was removed or changed in III...fail...

Dude! I was about to post that link. I have no idea what Entropy is smoking, but nothing I have seen of Fable 3 makes me think there are any parts of it I would particularly enjoy...

Well, I liked it a lot less then the average professional reviewer. But more than the average member of the glorious PC gaming master race who hasn't actually played it. If that puts me on drugs, then I'm a big drug smoker.

21. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 22:15 Talisorn

Frijoles wrote on May 11, 2011, 17:01:
This game's only hope will be with Steam's Christmas sale. I'll probably buy it for $5 at that time.

+1

20. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 21:07 Prez

Hmm - Fable 3, or a new Syndicate or Populous? Gee, let me decide which I'd rather see...

Oh, that's right - I couldn't really give less of a crap about Fable. Bring on Syndicate 2011!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 20:36 Jonny

Molyneux's wanky politics coming out when you're king put me off. Not only the evil route being the one where you make tough decisions to save everyone, and the good route being the one where every bastard dies but Bowerstone Lake still looks pretty, no, the asshole decrees like drinking.

A: Restrict booze to the nobility.
B: Ban booze.
C: Lift booze restrictions.

Not being a toff or an idiot who's never heard of how useless Prohibition is I went with C, and had nearly every NPC in the whole game staggering around vomiting. Constantly.

Really, keep your upper middle class politics to yourself.

18. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 20:35 PropheT

That video is fucking awful.

1) Gifting items isn't like he portrays it. Trading items in co-op is, maybe, I never tried it, but this isn't something most people will ever even see in the game.
2) The breadcrumb trail that he talks about can be turned off. I actually prefer to play the game without it on at all.
3) Travel takes like 10 seconds, tops. Just go to the map, choose the area, and walk around.
4) With the game installed to the Xbox's drive, most of those loading screens didn't show up or were so short you didn't have time to read the text on them. It wasn't a big deal, and it won't be on PC either.
5) Melee combat isn't useless. He's not using the block breaker in the video and then complaining that they just block everything... melee is the easiest way to beat most things, really, especially late in the game. There are some cool looking finishers, too.
6) He complains combat is too easy when all his videos have a co-op partner making it easier, which he complains about in another point anyway... well, duh? It's not a hard game, but alone there's some challenge there against things like a Balverine surprise attack or some large bandit groups later on. All the Fable games were like this.

And so on, and so on. I love Fable 1. Fable 2 was really disappointing to me. Fable 3 was fun, though, and I enjoyed it. The story was better, the combat is better, there's an actual ending, etc...I have no idea how someone could love Fable 2 and bash Fable 3 for doing mostly the same things.

It's more like 1 than 2 in a lot of ways, and that was awesome to me.

17. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 19:56 Slashman

I enjoyed Fable II on XBox...there was no depth to it...but it was a light-hearted, fun game to waste a few hours on...

And pretty much everything that was good in Fable II was removed or changed in III...fail...

Dude! I was about to post that link. I have no idea what Entropy is smoking, but nothing I have seen of Fable 3 makes me think there are any parts of it I would particularly enjoy...

16. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 19:39 grudgebearer

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

15. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 19:20 mlw

I so couldn't care less. I have never played a Fable game.

I am waiting for 9 other games on the way this year and next.

14. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 18:55 Darks

Sucks theres no demo, but I am looking forward to playing this Coop with my Friend.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

13. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 18:31 entr0py

As someone who's actually played it, Fable 3 wasn't that bad. Like every Fable game it has a lot of flaws, but also has parts are enjoyable and well done. The combat and visuals stand out as the two areas that are definitely improved over Fable 2.

In my view the social interaction system in the series was always shallow and lame, that continues in a slightly mutated form. They tried to do something new and interesting with the focus on money making, and the ethical choices in the second half of the game that weren't black and white. Unfortunately, neither really turned out fun, satisfying, or particularly well thought out.

Ultimately I think the best way to enjoy the game is to simply ignore all the optional lameness. I'd recommend concentrating on exploring, questing, and the main story line. I'd never buy it at full price, but maybe $20.

12. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 18:26 Overon

The XBox game sucked and this will suck too. You won't be able to tell how much it sucks until you read the reviews since you can't play the demo.  

11. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 17:06 RollinThundr

Frijoles wrote on May 11, 2011, 17:01:
This game's only hope will be with Steam's Christmas sale. I'll probably buy it for $5 at that time.

You'd be wasting 5 dollars *rimshot* Jester

10. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 17:01 Frijoles

9. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 16:17 Fion

This hit may 'most disappointing games of 2010' lists so I don't really care.  

8. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 16:14 Agent.X7

Hmmm, nope. Don't care. You lose me when you skip releases on the PC.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

7. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 15:58 necrosis

And a damn is not given.  

6. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 15:47 Dev

nin wrote on May 11, 2011, 15:29:

Yep, they're committed to pc gaming all right.

What, you mean that MS just saying it every couple months doesn't make it so? They actually have to DO something about it? Pretty sure thats news to MS.

5. Re: No Fable III Windows Demo May 11, 2011, 15:46 Blackhawk

I don't even notice anymore. The days when demos were standard are long gone. Demos for most titles are the exception rather than the rule now.

Instead, I wait and read reviews, read comments from people who've played it and so on.

After all, there were plenty of demos release where that one level was polished to hell and back, but the rest of the game stank, sort of like a great trailer for a crappy movie.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo