Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles

There's a Randy Pitchford interview on Games On Net talking with the Gearbox boss about Duke Nukem Forever, their upcoming first-person shooter sequel. Along the way Randy explains how Duke is like gaming's Chuck Norris before going on to likening him to The Beatles: "I donít know why, I donít know why. I was thinking about this a lot, and I remember when I discovered The Beatles. I wasnít born when they were big, I didnít even exist when The Beatles were at their peak. Yet, I remembered when I discovered them, and I thought, 'Itís good. Itís good music.' I felt special that Iíd discovered them, and I felt like I was cooler than some of my other friends that didnít discover them as quickly as I did, because I knew that magic was there. I think thereís a lot of newer gamers that are kind of feeling that about Duke. Theyíre looking at that. I think thatís kind of helped him become a meme, and an icon. It certainly hasnít been all the great games that have come out Ė because there hasnít been any games! So thereís something else thatís special about this character, that has done it."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 22:44 nin

Animal house is not.

Sadly!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 22:01 Yifes

Beamer wrote on May 11, 2011, 19:24:
Beatles ARE generic 60s rock. Because they mostly invented it and then got ripped off by hundreds of repeats or slight variations. In context that's fine. Out of context it just makes them sound like watered down versions of everyone else.

Happens often in entertainment. Animal House created the frat comedy and is held up as the benchmark and a classic. Taken out of that context and seen now it's just tame and generic. When you're that influential eventually those very late to the party have already heard everything you've done in everyone else's work.

That is clearly not true because it'd mean that classical works will have no audience. How many Star Wars fans were born after 1977 and still love the original trilogy? How many Beatles fans here do you think where alive when they first hit America? Yet the Beatles find new audiences with every generation. There are plenty of examples in entertainment that has stood the test of time, and the Beatles is one of them. Animal house is not.

39. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 21:55 Cutter

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 11, 2011, 20:00:
I disagree with your interpretation of how the franchise was regarded in the past but your last sentence was your typical douchebag response towards those who disagree so there's no point in trying to debate this with you.

LOL! And you wonder why no one likes your shitty game. Yeah, that's it, you just keep telling yourself everyone else is the problem. You're a unique little snowflake...just like everyone else. Does it get lonely up on your high horse?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

38. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 21:23 xXBatmanXx

Wow. What a prick.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

37. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 21:04 Prez

Kind of a bad analogy to use. The Beatles, while great, are long gone now, and are only notable for what they did many, many years ago. It remains to be seen if this is true of Duke Nukem as well...  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 20:07 heroin

I agree with that. Playing Duke Nukem over modem was far more entertaining than most games with multiplayer since.  

35. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 20:00 Parallax Abstraction

Cutter wrote on May 11, 2011, 14:56:
Wetworks wrote on May 11, 2011, 13:22:
I hate to burst Randy's bubble but the only reason Duke was talked about all these years was because it was the biggest joke in the gaming industry. If Duke didn't hold the the vaporware crown for 14 years it would've just been another random fps.

That's it in a nutshell. Duke was nothing special. It was ridiculous even then. It's only because of it's lord of the vaporware title it became something of a meme that stuck around. People speak of the Beatles with fondess and reverence. They speak of Duke as a bad joke. It's clear that Randy simply does not "get it" anymore than any other pre-pubescent boy, so don't try and defend him and his asinine analogy or you don't get it either, Sho and PA.

I disagree with your interpretation of how the franchise was regarded in the past but your last sentence was your typical douchebag response towards those who disagree so there's no point in trying to debate this with you.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

34. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 19:59 theyarecomingforyou

NKD wrote on May 11, 2011, 19:04:
The Beatles are a great example of social pressure. By saying you like The Beatles you paint yourself as some kind of cultured music fan, but when you press someone who professes to be a Beatles fan, they struggle to name even one song.
That's no more true than any fan of any other topic - there are always people that claim to be a fan when they really know very little about the subject matter. I like The Beatles because their songwriting was exceptional, they were innovative and they were articulate individuals. I also like artists including Marilyn Manson, John Scofield, Miley Cyrus, Nightwish, Nick Cave, Aphex Twin and Christopher Tin. It's not about trying to be "cool" or bowing to "social pressure". Not everyone that likes a diverse selection of music is doing so to appear cultured and frankly such an accusation is as bigoted as the people you seek to denigrate.

If you dislike The Beatles then that is fine and I respect that. But you shouldn't dismiss the fans of their music, nor the influence they had upon the music industry.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

33. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 19:24 Beamer

Beatles ARE generic 60s rock. Because they mostly invented it and then got ripped off by hundreds of repeats or slight variations. In context that's fine. Out of context it just makes them sound like watered down versions of everyone else.

Happens often in entertainment. Animal House created the frat comedy and is held up as the benchmark and a classic. Taken out of that context and seen now it's just tame and generic. When you're that influential eventually those very late to the party have already heard everything you've done in everyone else's work.

Anyway, Sho is pretty much on point.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 19:04 NKD

The Beatles are a great example of social pressure. By saying you like The Beatles you paint yourself as some kind of cultured music fan, but when you press someone who professes to be a Beatles fan, they struggle to name even one song.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

31. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 18:52 Agent.X7

Duke is like the Beatles because although everyone keeps talking about them, they haven't put out anything new in decades.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

30. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 18:33 Mr. Tact

You know, I think the Beatles are the most over rated band in the history of music. But they are still good enough that this comparison is a complete and total insult to them.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 18:02 banksie

That's it in a nutshell. Duke was nothing special. It was ridiculous even then.

Rubbish. Duke3D is well remembered because, when it came out, it was streets ahead of any other game in terms of world interactivity not just because of the charicature that was the main character. It came out post Doom with it's 2.5D world and just before Quake with its fully 3D polygon world.

As a result this list of features was remarkable for the time :-

-the ability in Duke3D to have rooms overlap vertically.
-mirrors that reflected the main character.
-highly interactive world (pool tables that you could knock the balls about on, urinals that worked, game machines, water fountains, water hydrants, strippers etc...)
-level design that often had multiple hidden ductways and alternate approaches.
-the need to aim vertically for shooting. (Doom could be played with a keyboard alone, Duke3D really demanded a mouse)
-a genuinely novel and unusual weapon set. Freeze ray guns that you could then use melee to shatter the frozen enemies? A shrink ray to let you stomp on people. Laser trip mines. The HoloDuke decoy.
-first attempt to mix in melee combat (the mighty foot) into an FPS.

And after the po-faced seriousness that was Doom and most of its clones Duke3D was a real breath of fresh air. It was irreverent, crass, frequently funny and always using various film quotes with a very deliberate mocking stance. It celebrated '80s pulp action cinema just as much as it pointed out how silly they were.

Saying Duke3D was nothing special simply doesn't do the game any historical justice. Duke3D, despite being a technical inferior to Quake which came out shortly after it, was by far the more fun game to play. Both have had a major impact on the game industry and both deserve their dues.

28. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 17:35 Sho

Again, though, analogy is not comparison. And the reason he picked The Beatles is probably just because it's an example everybody is familiar with (at least in his cultural context).

You guys just make a hobby out of being offended.

Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play ...

27. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 17:19 Yifes

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 11, 2011, 13:38:
Pretty much this. I never got The Beatles at all. I even recently went back and listened to a lot of their stuff to see what I just didn't get and never found it. It's just generic 60s rock with uninspired lyrics and their later stuff is just nonsensical (likely cause they were all stoned when it was written). My opinion's obviously in the minority though.

Saying they're just generic 60s rock is kind of stupid, since they basically defined what 60s rock sounded like. And 1961 Beatles sounds completely different than 1968 Beatles. Pretty much no one else, short of Elvis, has been as influential for pop music.

While you can definitely not like their music (I don't think the Mona Lisa looks very good either) you cannot deny their importance.

26. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 17:14 BicycleRepairMan

LOL @randy. He sounds like Charlie Sheen, and worst of all, that IS a good comparison.  

25. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 16:21 Tom

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 11, 2011, 13:38:
Pretty much this. I never got The Beatles at all. I even recently went back and listened to a lot of their stuff to see what I just didn't get and never found it. It's just generic 60s rock with uninspired lyrics and their later stuff is just nonsensical (likely cause they were all stoned when it was written). My opinion's obviously in the minority though.

Well I'm with you, I HATE the sound of the Beatles with a passion and cringe/flee whenever I'm subjected to it. I'm not sure if there's a name for the concept of fingernails on a blackboard, but that's the kind of response the Beatles elicit from me. From the moment I first heard it.

24. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 16:09 heroin

I was into grind, punk & hardcore when I was a kid. Back then I thought the Beatles were just some uninteresting, flowery bullshit that was just some standard wank for regular boring fucks. By college I was getting into krautrock, late 60's proto-punk, post punk, noise. A lot of the stuff broke down my barriers of music perception. I was even appreciating Pink Floyd a band I disliked because of all of those standard wanks were so into The Wall. An album I definitely don't appreciate that much as compared to their earlier catalog.

Ultimately, I discovered the beauty of the Beatles after I broke up with a girl who I had been in a relationship for for nearly a decade. The Beatles fucking cheered me up big time for a while. I hardly think playing Duke Nukem Forever is going to transport me to a special place like the Beatles. Duke Nukem Forever might be more like a good Korn album. And no such thing exists - so good luck.

23. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 15:47 Steele Johnson

Wetworks wrote on May 11, 2011, 13:22:
I hate to burst Randy's bubble but the only reason Duke was talked about all these years was because it was the biggest joke in the gaming industry. If Duke didn't hold the the vaporware crown for 14 years it would've just been another random fps.

That's it in a nutshell. Duke was nothing special. It was ridiculous even then. It's only because of it's lord of the vaporware title it became something of a meme that stuck around. People speak of the Beatles with fondess and reverence. They speak of Duke as a bad joke. It's clear that Randy simply does not "get it" anymore than any other pre-pubescent boy, so don't try and defend him and his asinine analogy or you don't get it either, Sho and PA.

That pretty much sums it up.

22. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 15:19 Steele Johnson

SpectralMeat wrote on May 11, 2011, 11:49:
Cutter wrote on May 11, 2011, 11:38:
Are you fucking retarded, Randy?

I thought the same thing when I read this. He is loosing it.

Same here. What a horrible comparison. In fact, he should be ashamed of himself for comparing The Beatles with anything. They are a one-of-a-kind phenomenon that could possibly never happen again.

Duke Nukem is trashy entertainment (that can be fun). It's nothing like discovering The Beatles.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo