Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF3 Preorder DLC Details

The Battlefield Blog and the Battlefield 3 Website have new details on the Back to Karkand map pack that DICE announced as a preorder bonus for Battlefield 3 back in February. This includes a bit on what impact the military shooter sequel's new engine will have on these now-familiar battlegrounds: "From a gameplay perspective, destruction is the biggest addition compared to the original map in Battlefield 2 back in 2005. I remember this particular building by the square in the original where players could defend very effectively. Now, with the destructive power of Frostbite 2, someone can just RPG that building and expose the defenders within. At the same time, we need to be careful not to add destruction that breaks the tried and tested game flow of the map."

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 11, 2011, 10:53 Surf

BC2 kicks ass, but could be improved. Overall very happy with the game and looking forward to BF3, a commander, squads that TALK, more open maps. All things missing in BC2.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 11, 2011, 01:21 eRe4s3r

Thats the point of it. They don't want you to be able to "camp it out" in a building. Tanks aren't exactly a challenge to destroy either, 2 engineers with explosive perk is all thats needed  

9. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 18:43 DrEvil

I'm still waiting for the day they announce pre-order DLC bonuses for pre-orders of DLC :-)  

8. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 18:27 Tom

Ok, thanks, I think I get it now. There isn't as much of a difference in effectiveness of different types of explosives as there should be. I mostly agree with that. There should probably be a bigger difference between grenade/noob tube vs. rocket/tank shell when it comes to building destruction.

As for buildings being too easy to destroy... well, it might help if they were damaged in a more realistic way, but if you hit buildings from all over the place with tank shells and rockets in real life, it seems to me like they're probably going to fall apart eventually. If they make them too strong, that could end up unrealistic and dampen the fun of the destructive environment.

I think the important issue is how destructibility affects the gameplay and victory conditions. They seem to have thought about this in BC2, usually placing at least half of the objectives either in indestructible buildings or outside of buildings so you can't just sit back and drop all of the buildings to win. I love to drop buildings and do it all the time, but you have to do more than that to win, which is good.

7. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 17:40 Tumbler

If anything, they need to increase the destructibility of the environment, not decrease it. Fortunately, this sounds like what they're doing in BF3.

I think he's saying that things are too easily blown up as is. With almost any map you simply sit back with a tank and pop holes in a building and it will come down in short order. There doesn't seem to be a scaling back with smaller explosives though, you hit a building with an RPG and you get basically the same result, throw a grenade same thing. The destruction doesn't seem to be related to the weapons, everything just blows up equally and it makes the buildings feel almost useless.

It can be fun but "defense" isn't really possible when all the structures go down so easily.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 17:15 Suckage

@ Tom
Perhaps what he meant was that buildings should be harder to destroy. That, I'd agree with.

5. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 17:06 TheEmissary

I'am not going to preorder anywhere outside of steam unless I know for sure what DRM they are using on retail or other Digital Distributors. Example of what I am talking about is that Bad Company2 doesn't use Securom on Steam but the retail version does.  

4. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 17:01 Tom

loomy wrote on May 10, 2011, 16:36:
the building destruction by dice in bfbc2 is excessive. almost anything blows up almost anything, it is not fun or realistic, two departures for the bf franchise.

Huh. I dunno what game you're playing but it's not BC2. Anything blows up any explosive thing. Explosives blow up non-explosive things. These are logical. However, there are tons of things that can't be blown up. Crates, containers, buildings, flimsy looking metal lean-to things, many inoperable vehicles, etc. And the buildings require unnatural (but better than nothing) scripted destruction in order to collapse.

If anything, they need to increase the destructibility of the environment, not decrease it. Fortunately, this sounds like what they're doing in BF3.

It's worth noting that they're walking a fine line between realism and fun when they decide what should be destructible. If everything was destructible, it might be more realistic but less fun. I think they did a pretty good job with BC2 and am hoping they can do even better with BF3.

3. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 16:55 Techie714

Tumbler wrote on May 10, 2011, 16:34:
Just pre-ordered this on Amazon, love how you can do this safely months and month in advance, they'll price match and improve your pre-sell benefit with any newer offers that come available and you don't pay @#%$@ until it ships.

Yea I pretty much buy all my games from amazon or Steam. I love amazon they have amazing prices & great customer service!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

2. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 16:36 loomy

"someone can just RPG that building and expose the defenders within. At the same time, we need to be careful not to add destruction that breaks the tried and tested game flow of the map."

well which is it, peckerhead. the building destruction by dice in bfbc2 is excessive. almost anything blows up almost anything, it is not fun or realistic, two departures for the bf franchise.

1. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 16:34 Tumbler

...hopefully we'll see some MP gameplay at E3...

Just pre-ordered this on Amazon, love how you can do this safely months and month in advance, they'll price match and improve your pre-sell benefit with any newer offers that come available and you don't pay @#%$@ until it ships.

I'll be pretty happy if this is a small improvement over BFBC2 so I think it's a safe pre-order. I'd love to see them really go crazy and bring this franchise to the PC level with Jets and all the bells and whistles you find on the pc...but I'm really skeptical. They've said jets so those will be in there in some way shape or form....so that is something.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo