Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

Many of the Brink reviews are from console editions. There's also a post on Voodoo Extreme calling Joystiq's review methodology into question (thanks nin).

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 21:17 Jonny5

DG wrote on May 10, 2011, 17:28:
Enemy Territory and Wolf: ET are the same game. Based on the beta, QuakeWars was kinda very similar. Different, but same roots.

No..they are not, Enemy Territory : Quake wars....was the FULL name of that game... Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory ...Different game, please.........

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 20:11 jacobvandy

Ars Technica explains that all the Brink reviews posted today are of the 360 version, which is pretty buggy and is supposed to have a Day 0 patch.  

16. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 17:49 avianflu

The 1Up review is poorly (and likely quickly) thought.  

15. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 17:28 DG

Enemy Territory and Wolf: ET are the same game. Based on the beta, QuakeWars was kinda very similar. Different, but same roots.  

14. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 17:20 Jonny5

rocketship wrote on May 10, 2011, 13:20:
...Ok. This sounds exactly like it's the same game Enemy Territory is?
No..it is more like Wolfenstein :ET Objective based, team based, small to medium maps, no airplanes.. Game is epic.. Just my opnion

13. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 15:06 jacobvandy

Judging the first few hours is okay for an article clearly marked as not a review (I had a lot of fun my first few hours, barring a few instances where the bots were ridiculous). I agree about the obligation to play through the whole thing for a full review. It can be a chore if the game isn't particularly enjoyable, but tough shit, we get paid to play games, not just the fun ones.  

12. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 14:30 Creston

Jerykk wrote on May 10, 2011, 12:28:
I think a reviewer has an obligation to play past that, but otoh, people who judge a game by the first few hours ARE going to run into the same thing the joystiq guy saw. So for that, I think his review is perfectly valid. He should really just do an addendum to it with his feelings after 10-15 hours.

I don't think people should review multiplayer games until they've played at least 50 hours after launch. Playing against bots or a few members of the press does not give a good indication of the actual online experience. And playing for a few days doesn't either. It takes time learn to fully appreciate the depth of any multiplayer game and the game changes drastically based on your skill and experience levels, as well as those of your opponents.

It's a fair point, but otoh, if you have to play it for 50 hours before reviewing it, it means your review is a week late. And most sites only care about getting that review out in time for Day Zero...

Ideally, I'd like to see reviews give you both a "first impression" and then a redux after a certain amount of hours. Like Gabe at PA once said "I can shine a turd for 8 hours and it'll look great too, but it doesn't mean I want to do that for 8 hours." (paraphrased).
I think first impressions and the overall feel a game gives off are important. If the game is newbie unfriendly and will turn many people off from it, that's a pretty important thing, since it'll heavily influence the makeup of the online playerbase later on.

Creston

11. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 13:20 rocketship

...Ok. This sounds exactly like it's the same game Enemy Territory is?

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 13:27.

10. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 13:00 Krovven

No demo of a multiplayer game that is a new IP = no sale.

Was never a big fan of QW:ET, so there is even less appeal. I do however love the art style, so I have been interested in the game...up until I found out the single-player game wasn't a real storyline campaign.

9. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 12:49 mch

OhmWrecker:

Just to be absolutely clear here, my findings and observations were removed without my permission. I was not aware or given any notice.

Interesting.

http://twitter.com/#!/OhmWrecker/status/67994114175676416

PSN: CaseDesignate

8. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 12:28 Jerykk

I think a reviewer has an obligation to play past that, but otoh, people who judge a game by the first few hours ARE going to run into the same thing the joystiq guy saw. So for that, I think his review is perfectly valid. He should really just do an addendum to it with his feelings after 10-15 hours.

I don't think people should review multiplayer games until they've played at least 50 hours after launch. Playing against bots or a few members of the press does not give a good indication of the actual online experience. And playing for a few days doesn't either. It takes time learn to fully appreciate the depth of any multiplayer game and the game changes drastically based on your skill and experience levels, as well as those of your opponents.

7. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 12:27 mag

Voodoo Extreme removed their comment about Joystiq with no explanation. Ah, journalistic integrity.  

6. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 12:24 Cutter

I hate the unlocks in games, particularly FPS'. Partiularly for the character customization. Why??? Thge look and feel is good so far, the maps are a bit too big IMO. And I have to concur that the solo player portion of the game because of the AI is really brutal. I've already failed the 2nd chapter 3 times in a row and I've been tring al manner of combos. It's pretty unforgivable and Splash better keep working on the AI till they get it right. It's not bad, but it's not as good as I hoped. I'd definitely put in the 6 or 7 out of 10 range. Hopefully with some patches and with community mods when the tools arrive it can blossom into something really amazing.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 11:39 Creston

nin wrote on May 10, 2011, 10:31:
Based on what I've read so far, it looks like people didn't take time to learn what they were supposed to do, or they weren't familiar with what they were getting into, and expected a standard deathmatch FPS.

I agree with VE's take that the Joystiq dude didn't spend enough time with the game. Otoh, if the game itself gives you a strong feel of "sitting 8 strong on an objective = win" then it's also a fault of the game for not introducing the strategic possibilities better.

How many people are turned off a game because of a very poor first two hours of gameplay? (two of my friends never played Deus Ex because they HATE the first level. One of their comments was "You get a gun with 6 bullets, and the first guy you meet takes 4 bullets to kill."
They completely ignored the other options and were immediately turned off the game by it. And I have to admit that Deus Ex's first level really isn't its finest showing.)

Creston

4. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 11:24 avianflu

I like the graphical look of Brink -- over-saturated colors as usual but the bitmaps look crisp -- no crappy blur effects.

3. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 10:38 InBlack

Mediocre reviews from mainstream press?? Say it AINT SO MA!!!

Im unsure what to make of this. In fact Ill be very wary of this game from now on.

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 10:31 nin

Based on what I've read so far, it looks like people didn't take time to learn what they were supposed to do, or they weren't familiar with what they were getting into, and expected a standard deathmatch FPS.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Game Reviews May 10, 2011, 10:21 JaguarUSF

Any review covering the Xbox version pre day-zero patch against bots should be ignored.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo