Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10

During the post-earnings conference call where Activision Blizzard unveiled Diablo III beta plans, there was also discussion of World of Warcraft subscription levels, noted by Kotaku. Word is the MMORPG, which was announced to have more than 12 million subscribers in October 2010, currently "only" has 11.4 million subscribers, which, after several hours of number crunching, the computer bank in the BlueTower says is a five percent drop off. Gamasutra notes that Blizzard president Michael Morhaime spoke of addressing this: "We need to be faster at delivering content to players," he says. "And so that's one of the reasons that we're looking to decrease the amount of time in-between expansions."

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 00:45 Riker

"We need to be faster at delivering content to players,"

Nope, people are just getting tired of the game. Not as many as I would've expected, mind you. WoW was by far the best MMO experience I've ever had, and I spent more hours playing it than any other game before or since.

But I'm tired of it. The well has dried up for me, and I need something new and different and exciting.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 00:10 Dev

Drayth wrote on May 9, 2011, 22:29:
Uh oh.. we're only making *eleventy* gazillion dollars a second!!

Fixed that for you

12. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 00:06 ColoradoHoudini

I stopped playing WoW before the last content patch right before Cata (i think they added another dragon boss)...yet I'm guessing that my Resto Shaman could find the exact perfect spec to heal with and the best dps spec.. and it's cookie cutter.

Having said that..
in Rift, my Mage has (off the top of my head) a few damn identical DPS builds.. Necro/Lock, SC/Elem, Pyro/Elem, Lock/Elem..and we're talking small dps changes either way, and being situationally better with each spec.. that's the kind of freedom I really enjoy in my RPG-type games (MMO's being #1). I did not have that sort of freedom from Molten Core (first raid) til I quit raiding (end of Wrath..after we beat the LK)..2004 til, last year? Never again.

Plus.. PvE ruining PvP.. starting to see some of that in Rift too, but at least Rift has separate PvP trees to help combat that issue

11. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 23:58 WyldKat

Not surprising with all the hotfixes driving away people to other games, especially Rift.

WoW is in cruise control mode right now, anyone expecting it to get drastically better content or gameplay is living on a cloud.

10. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 23:46 Mashiki Amiketo

eunichron wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:17:
The talents have been cookie cutter since release. The first year or so there was leeway, but that was primarily because no one knew wtf they were doing.
Hardly. Up until Wrath, most dps and healer classes were using dual tree builds. Even in TBC, classes were doing split tree builds. The problem as it stands now is there is no breathing room in what you do. You *must* fill a tree. You must go this route, you must do this. Yeah...lot of people didn't like that.

I think some of the more serious issues with the current content is that the entire original dev team is on Titan, and all the new kids at Blizz are on WoW. There's really no one there with a shaping hand, rather it's just the GC's 'vision of what wow should be'.

Eh I'm resubbing for a month just because my buddies at work talked me into it. Plus I can play it on my spare time while I'm stuck half way around the planet.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 23:37 Stolk

Obviously people that still play the game will have very different reasons for the decline versus those that have actually quit playing. I'm sure there is a wide variety of reasons.

I know a LOT of people that quit primarily toward the end of wrath, and most did so because they were just sick of the game itself. It's reached its maximum potential. Only so many people want to spend their free time on something like this, especially for years on end. People will leave, and they'll get a few new players along the way. Sadly these new players are sometimes children whose parents shouldn't let them near the timedrain that is WoW.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 00:12.

8. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 23:17 eunichron

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:07:
Doombringer wrote on May 9, 2011, 22:51:
. WoW is 6 years old, you're going to see some drop-off in subscribers.
It's not so much the age, but the fact that they screwed talents so badly that everyone is cookiecutter, and the content is mediocre.

The talents have been cookie cutter since release. The first year or so there was leeway, but that was primarily because no one knew wtf they were doing.

I think it has more to do with content. I've seen all of the current content, and while a lot of it, most of it, is fun, it's not really fresh or new in terms of mechanics and settings, and a lot of it is really rehashed. With the next content patch they're just doing more of the same by bringing back Ragnaros. I think it's pretty obvious Blizzard is trying to put it on the back burner and make room for upcoming projects (Diablo 3 and Titan).

7. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 23:07 Mashiki Amiketo

Doombringer wrote on May 9, 2011, 22:51:
. WoW is 6 years old, you're going to see some drop-off in subscribers.
It's not so much the age, but the fact that they screwed talents so badly that everyone is cookiecutter, and the content is mediocre.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

6. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 22:51 Doombringer

A flat-out PVP and PVE separation is a gamble. It could work in their favor, it could not. The game is 'almost' there now, with PVP progression and gear being discrete from PVE... perhaps they should make the final step...

Radical class changes were a bit of a problem at the beginning of Cata, as were the changes in heroic/raid difficulty. I think those two decisions backfired on them. The difficulty isn't hard to overcome, with time and patience, but it was nevertheless jarring for many of the players who came on during Wrath.

As for content... 4.1 is an example of content they're pushing out fast to satisfy people, and it isn't very satisfying at all. They shouldn't sacrifice quality for quantity, because they will lose players either way. Stick with quality, take your losses on the chin, and don't make any drastic design changes at any point. WoW is 6 years old, you're going to see some drop-off in subscribers.

5. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 22:46 Dades

They need to deliver better content updates, not faster ones. At this stage in WoW's life that's probably too much to ask though, the formula is set.  

4. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 22:39 RoTide

Ya, it certainly isn't quality people are after. Just ram more content in there! It works for CoD! Just release more of the same as fast as you can!  

3. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 22:29 Drayth

Uh oh.. we're only making *eleven* gazillion dollars a second!!  

2. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 22:29 nin

"We need to be faster at delivering content to players," he added. "And so that's one of the reasons that we're looking to decrease the amount of time in-between expansions."

No, you need to stop making radical changes to classes and separate the pvp and pve trees. Also, some interesting story/content might help...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 9, 2011, 22:28 Stolk

I'm happy to be part of that 5 percent.  

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo