Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10

During the post-earnings conference call where Activision Blizzard unveiled Diablo III beta plans, there was also discussion of World of Warcraft subscription levels, noted by Kotaku. Word is the MMORPG, which was announced to have more than 12 million subscribers in October 2010, currently "only" has 11.4 million subscribers, which, after several hours of number crunching, the computer bank in the BlueTower says is a five percent drop off. Gamasutra notes that Blizzard president Michael Morhaime spoke of addressing this: "We need to be faster at delivering content to players," he says. "And so that's one of the reasons that we're looking to decrease the amount of time in-between expansions."

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. No subject May 15, 2011, 06:47 AnointedSword

:/ That dang Obama! Oo Wait, who is he blaming for everything? O ya, Bush! Oo I blame Bush for this! Oo  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 16:31 Muscular Beaver

Everyone who ever worked in a PR department, especially for a corporation, knows that these "5%" are actually much higher.
I would guess 10-20%.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

32. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 16:06 Yifes

Sempai wrote on May 10, 2011, 08:09:
By all means, keep tuning the game to be a grind assholes.
Activision/Bliztard are nothing more than a husk of what once was a talented and unique development house that used to care about the games they put out.

Now it's all about the money, it's so blatantly apparent in the Cata xpac how it takes the average player months to obtain a 4pc 359 gear set while grinding out multiple factions in order to get stupid shit like shoulder and helm enchants.

Fuck you Blizzard, you fucking pieces of arrogant steamy shit. You money hungry fucking whores..for forcing the subscriber to participate in your grinding bullshit in order to obtain gear that used to take the average player a week to obtain.

I can only hope something...ANYTHING(SWTOR)come out to pull subscribers like me away from your bullshit grind.

Didn't WOW REDUCE the grind in MMOs compared to its predecessors? If you think a subscription-based themepark MMO like SWTOR isn't going to be about the gear treadmill, you are either naive or fucking retarded.

31. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 14:28 Mashiki Amiketo

eunichron wrote on May 10, 2011, 08:54:
I don't think you really understand what "cookie cutter" means. It has nothing to do with filling a tree, or being forced to fill a tree. Cookie cutter means there is one acceptable spec for a given class, role, and play style (PvE or PvP).
I think you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Even hybrid builds had at least 4 different variations for 0/x/x mage/lock or x/x/0 priest/pally. The talents were there and they allowed breathing room even within the 'standard builds'.

I guess when I was in one of those top 100 guilds in vanilla in a hybrid build for mc/bwl I had no clue what I was doing. Oh wait! I did! That's why I beat other classes into the dirt(except for rogues) on dps. Oh blizz knew what they were doing, the problem is instead of having defined classes with flexibility, they had designated only one spec as acceptable and everything else as sub-optimal. See warlocks/druids until the class revamps. You had to be dest. and you had to be resto.

Agent.X7 wrote on May 10, 2011, 12:56:
But to claim RIFT is the reason. Man, have you seen the falling subscriptions of THAT game?
It's a wow killer man! It'll put a stake in the heart of the wow vampire dragon! Nah. What'll kill wow is wow(like it's starting to do now), or titan. Then again, we may never see the like of WoW again too. Because developers shift away from what made the game 'fun' to what they *think* makes the game fun. I seriously miss TBC, sure it was hugely different than vanilla, but that was probably the epitome of perfect from casual to hardcore raider. The only weakness was the inability to get groups easily for those dungeons.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 13:33 Prez

Subs down 5%? Only 95% to go! Woohoo!  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

29. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 12:56 Agent.X7

WyldKat wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:58:
Not surprising with all the hotfixes driving away people to other games, especially Rift.

Haha, yeah, RIFT is stealing so many subs with it's WoW clone-ness. That's why they are merging servers because they are doing so well!

Don't get me wrong, I suspended my WoW subscription a month ago and haven't done more than log in to chat occasionally for a month before that. I think they pounded the pooch by releasing such a short expansion, and they are suffering a loss of subscriptions for it. I don't like doing the same dungeons and raids 100x in a row just to get better gear, so when the quests end, so does my sub. See you next expansion, maybe.

But to claim RIFT is the reason. Man, have you seen the falling subscriptions of THAT game?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

28. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 10:01 Elessar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:07:
Doombringer wrote on May 9, 2011, 22:51:
. WoW is 6 years old, you're going to see some drop-off in subscribers.
It's not so much the age, but the fact that they screwed talents so badly that everyone is cookiecutter, and the content is mediocre.
Classic argument for someone who's bitter about the changes Blizzard made. Which is understandable, but don't kid yourself into believing age isn't the primary reason people drop off.

Far more people are going to get bored and leave, than people are going to get nitpicky and leave.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

27. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 09:54 anime is great!

This game was so much more fun before any expansions were released. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but mudflation sucks and spamming out expansions faster isn't going to make the game any better.  

26. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 09:07 wtf_man

It's not so much the age, but the fact that they screwed talents so badly that everyone is cookiecutter, and the content is mediocre.

It was that way from the beginning (cookiecutter and mediocre). I was bored within 10 levels... but forced myself to suffer through the mid 30's.

WAY too much hand-holding. Boring as hell. But that's what you get when you target the ADHD Generation. Instead of moving the genre forward in depth... they moved it backwards and dumbed it down for the masses.

Great money maker, no doubt... but not my cup o' tea. I lean somewhere in between WoW and the original EQ / AC (Hardcore / oldschool stuff). No hand holding and complex enough to make things interesting (micro-managing your character)... some of the rules needed to be a little less harsh... and definitely needed more story integration... but other than that, they were superior to play, IMO.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 09:38.

25. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 08:54 eunichron

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:46:
eunichron wrote on May 9, 2011, 23:17:
The talents have been cookie cutter since release. The first year or so there was leeway, but that was primarily because no one knew wtf they were doing.
Hardly. Up until Wrath, most dps and healer classes were using dual tree builds. Even in TBC, classes were doing split tree builds. The problem as it stands now is there is no breathing room in what you do. You *must* fill a tree. You must go this route, you must do this. Yeah...lot of people didn't like that.

I don't think you really understand what "cookie cutter" means. It has nothing to do with filling a tree, or being forced to fill a tree. Cookie cutter means there is one acceptable spec for a given class, role, and play style (PvE or PvP). Hybrid and split tree builds are still cookie cutter, because there was only ever one acceptable way of doing them. This has been true pretty much since BWL... MC was kind of the test of the waters, no one really knew the classes, hell, Blizzard themselves didn't really even know what they were doing (hence the big patch class revamps of vanilla WoW).

Yeah, bad players (not casuals) might have not followed cookie cutter specs, but one could not expect to make it in a serious, or even a semi-casual, raiding guild without one.

24. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 08:46 heroin

I recieved a free 7 days for a new patch. I stopped playing a month after the last expansion. Since, I got the new expansion I bought a new laptop that kicks ass. Yesterday, I played WoW and I don't know but it's just lost it's magic on me. And I certainly loved it for years but it's seriously over. It definitely feels like on my server it's down a lot more than 5%. It definitely feels really fucking shallow at this point. Which is sad because I felt like it grew on me for years like a great minimalism album, like "In C" or "A Rainbow in Curved Air", or "On Land" - now it just feels like some Justin Beiber shite.

Not to be fanboiy but I do I enjoy Blizzard games and definitely think WoW could be tuned for a 1 mil audience that plays it for another decade if they tuned it well enough. They make really good competitive games compared to Valve. I'm not really into TF2, or Left for Dead though I used to love CS but that faded with time as well. It's funny though how people used to refer to WoW as work. Minecraft was the huge WoW killer for me and mostly what I do in that is sort of like repetitive work and it's more like minmalism. It's sort of like how I utilize audio apps to produce my music. It's really simple, yet really tedious... but it's rewarding and soothing, like an 0val album. Now, I can't even get through a fucking quest in WoW without feeling completely unconscious. The only way it'd be awesome if I were one shrooms or really really stoned - definitely not how I'd play a SC2 ladder game.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 09:16.

23. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 08:33 Kajetan

NKD wrote on May 10, 2011, 06:58:
Ultimately it was only a matter of time. No MMO can maintain an upwards subscription rate forever, least of all one with as many subscribers as WoW.
I agree. And even if WoW has finally peaked, it's still THE biggest subscription MMO there is. No other game is being even close in terms of active players and money flow. Blizzards "suffers" on a very, very high level. Heck, the competition would be glad if they had problems like this.

And haters are gonna hate, no matter what

22. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 08:09 Sempai

By all means, keep tuning the game to be a grind assholes.
Activision/Bliztard are nothing more than a husk of what once was a talented and unique development house that used to care about the games they put out.

Now it's all about the money, it's so blatantly apparent in the Cata xpac how it takes the average player months to obtain a 4pc 359 gear set while grinding out multiple factions in order to get stupid shit like shoulder and helm enchants.

Fuck you Blizzard, you fucking pieces of arrogant steamy shit. You money hungry fucking whores..for forcing the subscriber to participate in your grinding bullshit in order to obtain gear that used to take the average player a week to obtain.

I can only hope something...ANYTHING(SWTOR)come out to pull subscribers like me away from your bullshit grind.

21. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 06:58 NKD

Ultimately it was only a matter of time. No MMO can maintain an upwards subscription rate forever, least of all one with as many subscribers as WoW.

No matter what they do to the game, they will ultimately lose subscribers. It's just a matter of which ones they lose first.

MMOs all have a "Best By:" date printed on them. Eventually you reach a point where people begin to leave faster than new folks become interested, either because the game has changed too much, or because it hasn't changed enough.

Blizzard knows this on some level, and that's why they are going to try and focus on Titan. At this point they have zero incentive to change their approach to WoW. They know that no matter what direction they go, they'll run customers off.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

20. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 04:33 InBlack

When this drop off starts to get even more seriours, we will see a tightening of the Activision grip on Blizzard. Suddenly the pressure will come on like a motherfucker and our beloved studio will drown in a pool of capitalist bullshit. They have become addicted to this seemingly unlimited river of money pouring in month, after month.

Two things will happen. DiabloIII will feature some kind of subscription model when it does come out. Goodbye dynamic multiplayer Hack 'n Slash, hello WoW clone. And Blizzard will push the release of Titan.

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 03:08 OldScho0l

Stolk wrote on May 9, 2011, 22:28:
I'm happy to be part of that 5 percent.

Same here.

I go long stretches away from wow. I'm certain that I will return eventually.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 04:00.

18. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 02:21 Yifes

FloorPie wrote on May 10, 2011, 01:28:

Yup. Mediocre content, increased difficulty combined with running the same dungeons/raids over and over again loses its charm.

Weren't people all complaining that the last expansion was too easy? Now they're complaining that the game is too hard. And cookiecutter classes + mediocre content that you run over and over again....

....basically nothing has changed.

17. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 01:35 Kxmode

Dev wrote on May 10, 2011, 00:10:
Drayth wrote on May 9, 2011, 22:29:
Uh oh.. we're only making *eleventy* gazillion dollars a second!!

Fixed that for you

Grammar Nazi. Yes, I invoked Godwin's law. </thread>

16. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 01:28 FloorPie

Yup. Mediocre content, increased difficulty combined with running the same dungeons/raids over and over again loses its charm.

15. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 01:07 Wallshadows

The problem which I and a lot of other raiders have is that Ulduar, an instance which had 14 bosses and a new tier system, was introduce about five months after WotLK was released yet we are still waiting for Firelands to be pushed out the door after six months with half the content. Six months of lackluster content with uninspiring raids and it's only now going on the laughable PTR? They must have a lot of faith in the two new Zul Heroics to hold us over that long and to not become bored with (again).

Now, to compare the quality of that from Ulduar with what we have now is like night and day. Boss fights were fun and attuned properly to both normal and hardmodes, the atmosphere was great, and the overall design was exceptional. It really was one of the most well-rounded raids in a long, long time and I would implore you to see this content if you have not. Might even get a nice Protodrake if you complete the achievement.

Furthermore, there is no identifiable progression now as you are forced in to content which all has the same defined stats from start to finish. You no longer obtain higher-quality gear the deeper in to a raid you progress and are left with simply stat shuffles. To be fair though, this went out the door after Ulduar. The gap between dungeon heroics and raiding is also more of a leap than a step now which puts a lot of casual players in an awkward position.

Classes themselves are losing certain unique abilities while talent trees and items are gradually becoming more of the same for specific classes but with different words to describe them. Look at the Tier pieces for a Rogue and Feral Druid or Warrior and Death Knight and you'll see what I mean.

So far, everything about Cataclysm has been fairly lackluster in regards to their previous expansions and with good reason. Their senior developers have all moved on to the new project and left others in charge with half-baked ideas and trying to pull the wool over our eyes by saying they are delivering quality content.

As far as raiding goes, Ulduar was likely the best of the best and I fear that there will no longer be raids such as this but rather corridors with rooms attached to them such as BWD.

As far as content in general is concerned, Cataclysm is suffering compared to previous titles and I fear that we will start to see quantity over quality in order to address this issue but not fix it.

It was never fantastic though, even when it was new.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 02:06.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo