Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Valve on Episodes

Gabe Newell tells Develop that Valve has moved past episodic gaming. "We went through the episodes phase, and now we're going towards shorter and even shorter cycles," the Valve Managing Director tells them. "For me, ‘entertainment as a service’ is a clear distillation of the episodic content model." He expands his explanation with quotes that are sure to be re-clarified at some future point (see Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience versus not that we’re not doing single player games). "Team Fortress 2 is the fastest frequency we work on with comparatively fast updates. Er, Half-Life is apparently the slowest! [Laughs] Although, from the outside world, we have no evidence that Half-Life is working on any frequency at all. [Laughs]" He does add that this does not mean they are done with longer projects: "You want to distribute your choices. Right now there’s a bunch of pressures to have shorter and shorter development cycles. But that could change. I’d have to find a reason for it to change, but it could. I don’t want to be caught completely off-guard and overly invested in one area. I think you’ll still see projects from us that are huge in scale, simply because we have the ability to do that." The full interview with Gabe can be read in the Free Develop digital edition.

View
14. Re: Valve on Episodes May 9, 2011, 15:14 Chairman Kaga

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 9, 2011, 14:30:
He doesn't sound like a pod person, he just sounds like a creative person who needs barriers put around him so he will focus and not wander off into la-la land.

This is typical of the "artist's studio" -- nothing ever gets finished because the creative people are always being creative and want to throw everything in. A business always needs at least one solid business person that's able to keep things in check. So long as you avoid going off the deep end with the whole Bobby Kotick "we want to drain all the fun out of game development" brand of crazy.

I'm reminded of a clip from the recent Blizzard 20th anniversary retrospective, where they had the option to sell out to Interplay (the "creative" game company) or to Davidson and Associates (the "business guys"). In the end they chose Davidson, for precisely the reasons outlined above.

(And yes, I do find it ironic that Blizzard ended up married to Activision.)

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. May 9, 14:18 Re: Valve on Episodes Cutter
  3. May 9, 14:21  Re: Valve on Episodes nin
  4. May 9, 14:23  Re: Valve on Episodes Mastaba
  8. May 9, 14:36  Re: Valve on Episodes descender
  2. May 9, 14:20 Re: Valve on Episodes Creston
  11. May 9, 14:52  Re: Valve on Episodes Graham
  15. May 9, 15:17   Re: Valve on Episodes Creston
  5. May 9, 14:30 Re: Valve on Episodes Silicon Avatar
  6. May 9, 14:33  Re: Valve on Episodes Cutter
  13. May 9, 14:52   Re: Valve on Episodes Dev