Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BRINK Preloads on Steam

Steam News announces that they are now offering preloads of BRINK so those who have pre-purchased the first-person shooter will be all set to play it upon its release next week.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 8, 2011, 07:52 SpectralMeat

winnetou wrote on May 7, 2011, 16:28:

Edit: guess it's steam & NA d2d for now.

That's pretty silly. Doesn't the game release on Tuesday in EU?

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 23:42 Yakumo

"I'd prefer to have a smaller set of completely distinct weapons, each with completely different functionality and requiring unique skillsets to use proficiently. Tribes offered a good example of that. "

So does Quake

22. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 16:28 winnetou

SpectralMeat wrote on May 7, 2011, 13:19:
Got my code from D2D activated and preloaded on Steam already. Looking forward to this game. Lots of positive buzz around it.
Hm, can't accesss that yet. Would you have any hint what I could be doing wrong? All I get to see in my games list is a "Pre-order" button which doesn't reveal the activation key. "Send info" doesn't send me anything useful.
(22.45 at d2d uk with the promotion code btw)

Edit: guess it's steam & NA d2d for now.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2011, 17:48.

21. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 15:15 Elessar

Fion wrote on May 7, 2011, 12:38:
Thanks for the details guys. You have successfully gotten me excited.
Same! Preordered and downloading now. I'm looking forward to this. Glad Verno will have a server for the Blues crew. Awesome.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

20. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 13:19 SpectralMeat

Got my code from D2D activated and preloaded on Steam already. Looking forward to this game. Lots of positive buzz around it.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

19. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 12:38 Fion

Thanks for the details guys. You have successfully gotten me excited.  

18. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 09:33 Ledge

hope they put as much as emphasis on audio as DICE did with BC2.

17. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 08:19 Bucky

The attempt to mitigate the usual BS such as one shot kills is huge for me. There's also the fact that the scoring does not reflect your kill/death, which should help to encourage team play.  

16. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 01:57 Jerykk

With the customizable weapons, how do they look boring, Jer?

I'm not talking about their appearance. I'm talking about their functionality. You've got your generic handguns, SMGs, assault rifles, shotguns, heavy machine guns and I think there might be a grenade launcher too. All of those are used exactly the same way except for the grenade launcher. Namely, aim at your opponent's head and fire. If you've played any other shooter with semi-realistic weapons, you pretty much already know everything you need to know about these weapons. There's no learning curve and that's boring.

I'd prefer to have a smaller set of completely distinct weapons, each with completely different functionality and requiring unique skillsets to use proficiently. Tribes offered a good example of that.

15. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 01:45 Dades

Can someone tell me what all the fuss is about with this game? I watched a video or two but the game looks really rough around the edges. Maybe I just haven't been following the game enough, so do fill me in.

Ridiculous amount of customization. Well thought out perk system with class extension instead of stupid abilities with no thought for balance. Class based objective teamwork that still lets you go off on your own once in awhile. Actual dedicated servers that you can host yourself instead of renting from some partner giving EA a cut.

Splash Damage have some of the most talented mappers in the industry too. As Cutter or Verno said in the last comment section they have a great sense of design for balance and a lot of experience working on multiplayer shooters. One of the mappers responsible for de_dust2 worked on Brink, most of the other devs worked on games like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and they have people who worked on some of the best old Quake CTF maps.

I don't know how videos come off looking rough, most of the preview coverage I've seen so far looks fairly slick. What sets it apart from most modern shooters is an emphasis on teamwork and objectives. If you want killstreaks and action so fast you can barely blink then this isn't the kind of game for you. This is sort of a bridge between older FPS games and newer successors like TF2.

14. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 01:41 Cutter

With the customizable weapons, how do they look boring, Jer?

Whilst I love the art direction my one and only concern is how large the maps are seeing as it's standard 8 v 8. Yet, it seems the routes are set up to keep constant conflict going on. And no 1 shot kills is a big plus. I can't count the times when so many FPS' turned into a mjor campfest because no one wants to venture out if there are a few good snipers around. I think this is going to be a huge amount of fun.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 01:16 TinMan

8v8 Chained class objectives with freedom of movement.

Lots thought/design in mitigating bullshit found in other games.

By Splash Damage who has a history in that objective/team based gameplay.

12. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 00:21 Jerykk

1) Great amount of customization.
2) Flexible traversal system.
3) Interesting objective system.

The only downside is that the weapons look boring.

11. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 7, 2011, 00:03 Fion

Can someone tell me what all the fuss is about with this game? I watched a video or two but the game looks really rough around the edges. Maybe I just haven't been following the game enough, so do fill me in.  

10. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 6, 2011, 23:56 Keith

Currently 25% off Direct2Drive ($37.50 total). Was enough to get me to pre-order. Uses same version as Steam (and requires Steam if you don't have it).  

9. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 6, 2011, 23:30 Cutter

I pre-ordered with Best Buy for the Fallout pack! Pew pew pew! And don't forget Verno is setting up a "House of Blues" server to play on too.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 6, 2011, 23:20 SectorEffector

awful game with a phyics engine almost a decade before it has become standard.

I will go as far to say that shooting boxes and barrels in Trespasser is more gratifying reaction wise then it would be in COD:MW.

Tired of shooting a 2 lb lamp with a m4 and it just sparks and stands completely still. Oooopss, I;m sorry I forget if you didn't make it a destroyable prefab then forget it. :p

btw Brink looks like a real hit or a real miss title. Doom 3 engine? can't even recognize it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

7. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 6, 2011, 22:50 Dirwulf

nin wrote on May 6, 2011, 22:14:

yes I would like to purchase first-person hooters.

Here ya go...

Ah Yes...Trespasser. What an awful game.

6. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 6, 2011, 22:40 Bucky

Gimme gimme gimme!  

5. Re: BRINK Preloads on Steam May 6, 2011, 22:39 Grifter

nin wrote on May 6, 2011, 22:14:

yes I would like to purchase first-person hooters.

Here ya go...

thanks, now all I need is 3d vision surround. Then life will be complete

lol

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo