Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Piranha Bytes on Gothic and JoWooD

Eurogamer has quotes from Piranha Bytes co-founder Michael Hoge on the Gothic series, and the moves by now-bankrupt publisher JoWooD that caused them to walk away from the RPG franchise for a bit. "The problem was - to cut a long story short - there were a couple of differences in opinion between the publisher and us," says Hoge. "And the whole thing collapsed when the publisher forced us to release Gothic 3 while it was not ready." He admits they did not deliver the game when it was expected, but blames JoWooD's "stock market orientation" on the decision to ship the game in an unpolished state. Regardless of the resolution of JoWooD's insolvency (which it seems likely is resulting in their closure), Hoge notes that the rights to Gothic have reverted to Piranha Bytes, though Risen brand manager Daniel Oberlerchner remains coy about whether their new Risen IP and the Gothic series will be merged. "That's a dangerous question," he says. "That's a big secret!" Eurogamer also offers an interview where the pair explain why Risen 2 will be better than the original Risen.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Piranha Bytes on Gothic and JoWooD May 8, 2011, 13:18 Surf

I started with the G1 demo when it was released and bought the game immediately afterwards as I liked it so much. However I think the first time you play something, every thing else, sequel wise, doesn't amaze as much. G2 was a great game as well, probably even better than G1, but G3 on just suck.

Kind of like the Stalker series.
Stalker 1 was fantastic, buggy, but really pulled me in.
Stalker 2 (Clear Sky) was kind of more of the same, a bit confusing, but mechanically better than 1.
Stalker 3 (Pripyat) was mechanically better than all the other games, added some really cool features, looked the best and wasn't buggy at all, but overall wasn't as memorable of an experience as S1/S2.

So not sure if Gothic and Risen are falling into those categories as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Piranha Bytes on Gothic and JoWooD May 6, 2011, 22:43 Halo

I need to go install 2 again and figure out how to fight. =\  

6. Re: Piranha Bytes on Gothic and JoWooD May 6, 2011, 21:03 space captain

i always liked how gothic had dudes smoking big cones of swampweed while hanging out in front of their houses  
Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Piranha Bytes on Gothic and JoWooD May 6, 2011, 20:29 Jerykk

G1 was your favorite? I don't see many people saying that, but I can't blame you since it wasn't as ball-bustingly hard as G2 and good equipment was extremely easy to find/glitch early.

Gothic 1 had the most interesting story IMO. It also introduced all the characters that were recycled in the sequels. From a gameplay and scope perspective, I think G2 was better. From in terms of setting and story, I think the first game was the best.

4. Re: Piranha Bytes on Gothic and JoWooD May 6, 2011, 18:23 yuastnav

Most people I know liked Gothic 1 best, including me.
These are also the people who started have been following the series starting with the very first part which was released back in March 2001.
I have only picked it up in January 2002, though.

Gothic 1 was an excellent game and therefore Gothic 2 was a bit disappointing; the addon made it excellent on the other hand.
Gothic 3 was just a standard RPG, nothing special and while Risen is more like Gothic 2 than Gothic 3 it's still... I don't know. It just seems to be the same.
A German video game magazine even did a parody on how similar Gothic 3 and Risen are although they're supposed to be two different franchises.

3. Re: Piranha Bytes on Gothic and JoWooD May 6, 2011, 17:54 Icewind

Cutter wrote on May 6, 2011, 16:49:
Whilst Risen and Gothic 2 weren't bad, it just amazes me they really don't come close to how good Gothic was.

G1 was your favorite? I don't see many people saying that, but I can't blame you since it wasn't as ball-bustingly hard as G2 and good equipment was extremely easy to find/glitch early.

My list is this:

Gothic 2 > Gothic 1 > Risen > Gothic 3

I think Gothic 2 was a much more complete game than 1. Larger world, tougher monsters, harder to get equipment.

Of course in Gold they messed it all up by letting you grab the Master Sword right in the beginning and letting you dominate everything for the first 4 chapters with a 110 damage sword that only needed 60dex.

2. Re: Piranha Bytes on Gothic and JoWooD May 6, 2011, 16:49 Cutter

Whilst Risen and Gothic 2 weren't bad, it just amazes me they really don't come close to how good Gothic was.  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

1. Re: Piranha Bytes on Gothic and JoWooD May 6, 2011, 14:47 Creston

I doubt anyone is shedding a single fucking tear over the loss of JoWood.

Looking forward to Risen 2, but they definitely need to start making at least a SOMEWHAT different game. It's basically turning into Age of Empires by now.

Creston

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo