Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage

During a recent press event, id Software's Tim Willits revealed that level design and modification tools for RAGE will be included with the upcoming first-person shooter. Tim explains all you need to do is "Pull down the console, type 'id studio,' then press enter. Then, bam, there’s all the tools we use," reports PC Gamer. "Building levels from scratch is more difficult," he explains. "Because we have a layer system in some of the levels. I can foresee somebody modding up Wellspring and adding different characters, giving them different voice-over." That said, the editor will support creation of new levels, as Tim says: "It’s built into the engine."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 7, 2011, 10:42 Prez

Razumen wrote on May 6, 2011, 17:03:
Wildone wrote on May 6, 2011, 02:33:
no but whats supposed to be the big deal about it? Open world? Been done. Shooting zombie creatures that look cool? Been done. Now what? Seriously I dont know much about it, tell me

You don't just buy an ID game for the game itself, but also for the great mods that will undoubtedly be created from it. That and every id game has been polished good old fashioned fun.

I approve of this response.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 17:03 Razumen

no but whats supposed to be the big deal about it? Open world? Been done. Shooting zombie creatures that look cool? Been done. Now what? Seriously I dont know much about it, tell me

You don't just buy an ID game for the game itself, but also for the great mods that will undoubtedly be created from it. That and every id game has been polished good old fashioned fun.

19. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 12:19 DrEvil

Bumpy wrote on May 5, 2011, 22:44:
First priority mods will be to remove the consolitus.

Why would you remove the console? That's how you start the editor

But seriously, how can you even begin to accuse them of consolitis?

I mean, the protagonist obviously carries more than three weapons at a time

Oh wait, wrong game

18. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 10:58 Creston

That is actually really fucking awesome news. That will likely put Rage right back on my list, because any stupid consolized shit that's in there will undoubtedly be modded out in a few days.

Thanks, id.

Creston

17. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 09:32 Grendle

When is this comming out anyways? I can't wait for it.  

16. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 09:20 KataSteel

Car with four wheels? Been done. Car with a steering wheel and a horn? Been done. Guess I won't buy a car.

15. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 08:39 Prez

Kajetan wrote on May 6, 2011, 07:45:
Shineyguy wrote on May 5, 2011, 22:30:
I seem to remember people crying doom and gloom saying that there wouldn't be any mod tools for this game.
Do you also remember, that ID was unsure about mod tools because of the megapixel technology. Which was the reason for people being concerned about that?

I was one of the ones "crying" (and yes, it was because id had stated they were unsure about mod tools), because an id game without mod tools is like a pizza without cheese. Glad to finally hear that mod tools are a definite.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 07:45 Kajetan

Shineyguy wrote on May 5, 2011, 22:30:
I seem to remember people crying doom and gloom saying that there wouldn't be any mod tools for this game.
Do you also remember, that ID was unsure about mod tools because of the megapixel technology. Which was the reason for people being concerned about that?

13. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 05:59 LittleMe

InBlack wrote on May 6, 2011, 03:46:
Id much rather have Doom4...and done properly thank you very much.

Some of the Rage gameplay gave me a rather doom-ish feeling, more than did Doom3. The large outdoor environs, tall buildings, etc.. It now seems like some good modders will make a doom mod for it.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

12. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 03:46 InBlack

Id much rather have Doom4...and done properly thank you very much.  

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 03:30 eRe4s3r

Maybe worse, they will not open the texture templates they used to paint the mega-texture, shipping those with the game would make the mega-texture feature a farce (why even do a mega-texture when you have the textures used in making it shipped with the game?), and not shipping it will make editing it on a semi-professional level impossible.

I assume this what they meant with "Building levels from scratch is more difficult"

I am sure the tools will all be there, the base non-compiled assets required to do anything advanced likely will not....

10. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 03:13 Dev

So, being as it almost requires modding of existing content, that surely means you guys are opening up the id created rage content for editing and redistribution? Right?  

9. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 02:33 Wildone

8. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 6, 2011, 01:44 Sepharo

Great news. Thanks id.  

7. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 5, 2011, 23:40 Dades

Good on id for supporting the community.  

6. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 5, 2011, 23:24 Fion

Yes because any game with shooting is huge fail.

/sarcasm off

Glad to hear the game will shop with Mod Tools. It wouldn't be an Id game without 'em. Must say I am looking forward to any mods that remove the regenerating health and the little 'press x to use' popup that is so immersion breaking in console games.

5. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 5, 2011, 23:21 Wildone

its gonna be a huge fail. All I saw was shooting of a few monsters. Big deal?  

4. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 5, 2011, 22:44 Bumpy

First priority mods will be to remove the consolitus.  

3. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 5, 2011, 22:31 LittleMe

Great news. What about dedicated servers for MP?

Perpetual debt is slavery.

2. Re: RAGE Mods Will Be All the Rage May 5, 2011, 22:30 Shineyguy

The above proves them very wrong without a doubt. There hasn't been an id game where they haven't supported the mod community, and I don't foresee them ever forsaking the community.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo