Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2011, 20:13 Sepharo

zirik wrote on May 5, 2011, 20:02:
Sepharo wrote on May 5, 2011, 19:30:
I can't complain about Comcast.

250gb/month limit is nothing to complain about? wait til you start watching HD streams.

The only HD streams I have currently are through Hulu Plus and YouTube occasionally. But I download a lot a lot. Someone here just recently explained how I can check my usage and though at the the time I wasn't over, I can assume that in the past I've gone way over quite often. I've never been warned or received a letter, and Comcast explains on their site that they only do so for the top 1% of those who do exceed.

This comment was edited on May 11, 2011, 21:20.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2011, 20:02 zirik

Sepharo wrote on May 5, 2011, 19:30:

250gb/month limit is nothing to complain about? wait til you start watching HD streams.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2011, 19:30 Sepharo

Prez wrote on May 5, 2011, 11:32:
Because of TV Streaming, naturally. I wish Comcast would ditch the Cable TV biz altogether and just focus on being a Broadband provider. That, and start sucking a whole lot less. Maybe they could even eventually get off the "Most Hated Companies in the World" list. Right now they are in the top 5. On my personal list, they stand alone at the very top.

I canceled my TV subscription and upgraded my internet and pay less. The monthly fee is reasonable in my opinion at $76 a month for 27Mb/s and I regularly approach that with simultaneous Steam and torrent downloads.

Installation was prompt, a small hiccup was handled over the phone by competent American-accented support who gladly didn't dumb things down for me when I explained to him that I was technically competent. My service has only gone down once that I know of in the past 2 years.

I guess the horribleness must be regional which is to be expected being such a vast company.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2011, 13:39 kanniballl

Prez wrote on May 5, 2011, 12:15:
I would love it if FIOS was available in my area. As it is, given how remote my area is, I'm lucky I have even Comcast available.

We were one of the early Fios neighborhoods, we've had it for a while now.

One of the things I'm looking for in a new place is if it's also in a Fios neighborhood.

My only complaints with Fios was:

A) They signal was very anti-Tivo friendly. The picture would garble a lot on Tivo but not on DVR. Fios DVRs at launch had HORRID UI so I went Tivo. The DVR is nice now.

B) I'd hoped when they installed to do it a specific way (Coax from box for TV, Network cable from box to network/internet). But they didn't for us. They were helpful though and did run the coax where/how we wanted but didn't do the piece at the beginning.

C) Towards release we sometimes had really garbled signal (blocks/etc) for stretches, usually around primetime TV (8PM-11PM). So that stunk. But they eventually fixed it.

D) My mom had some billing issues. She returned some cable cards and boxes a after a year but they keep re-appearing on her bill. So every few months she has to call them and rectify it.

It sounds like a lot, but is only a drop in the bucket compared to our Comcast issues.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2011, 12:15 Prez

I would love it if FIOS was available in my area. As it is, given how remote my area is, I'm lucky I have even Comcast available.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2011, 11:42 fujiJuice

Their broadband is almost as bad as the TV though. FIOS beats them in every category, I get almost triple the download speeds on broadband with FIOS than I do with Comcast, and my upstream is, no lie, about 10 times higher. It also doesn't go down every damn day.

They are light years behind on TV as well, their on screen guide is still probably the very first one they developed, looks straight out of 1999. FIOS also has a nice crisper image along with great mobile and online integration.

My current complaint with FIOS is why the hell can I not manage my room to room DVR from other rooms, like add and delete, just boggles my mind.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2011, 11:32 Prez

Because of TV Streaming, naturally. I wish Comcast would ditch the Cable TV biz altogether and just focus on being a Broadband provider. That, and start sucking a whole lot less. Maybe they could even eventually get off the "Most Hated Companies in the World" list. Right now they are in the top 5. On my personal list, they stand alone at the very top.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo