Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Delayed

The Mass Effect 2 Facebook Page reveals a delay for Mass Effect 3, saying BioWare's sci-fi action/RPG sequel is now due in Q1 2012, after being announced for release in Q4 of this year (thanks BeyondUnreal). Word is:

Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone’s expectations.” - Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mass Effect series

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 6, 2011, 03:08 Jerykk

The correlation might be true but correlation is not causation!

In this case, it is. There's a limit to how simply you can present complex ideas. The more complex the idea, the more difficult it is to make it accessible. An intuitive UI and useful tutorials can help but they don't change the fact that more complex ideas take longer to learn. A game like CoD will always be more accessible than a game like X-COM. It doesn't matter how well the UI is designed or how many tutorials are provided, X-COM just requires a lot more learning on behalf of the player.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 5, 2011, 13:48 DG

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2011, 22:51:
The lowest common denominator is not looking for more simplicity. They're looking for more accessibility, and the best developers bring both complexity and accessibility.

Complexity and accessibility are inversely correlated. You more you have of one, the less you have of the other. The beter developers strike a decent balance between them but there is always compromise in terms of long-term depth.[...]
The correlation might be true but correlation is not causation!

Gameplay can still be complex but an excellent interface, good learning curve and overall game design can still make it intuitive. This makes for a sophisticated game, which I think is what we really want when we say "complex".

Loading a tape game on an old Amstrad was often "complex", but not at all sophisticated. Do NOT want.

Team Fortress 2, before the myrad of crap, has fundamentally quite complex gameplay but it is (was?) all wrapped up in a good UI etc and it was quite accessible. More and more depth opened up the more you play. This is sophistication.

Shooting for the LCD when making a mass-market game is not because the mass-market wants a simple game. They want an accessible game and a simple game is a lazy, cheap way to give the appearance of that.

But yeah OK, lazy & cheap is the norm so I'm not exactly getting my hopes up that they're just working on a brilliant UI for ME3.

30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 5, 2011, 11:47 Creston

Paranoid Jack wrote on May 5, 2011, 02:06:
I'm wondering if you'll get ME3 free when purchasing DA3...

Doubtful, since DA3 will likely be released five months before ME3. It's already in beta.

Creston

29. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 5, 2011, 09:17 Jedi Master

So, whose rushed titles are actually good?

For me, the pinnacle of a series destroyed by the "get the sequel out in a year, no matter what!!" need of publishers is what killed KOTOR. KOTOR1 was a triumph (and I can still see it in ME1) while the hack job that was the end of KOTOR2 filled me with rage.
The "you've defeated the final boss, now they'll give you exposition for 10 minutes on the fate of you and your companions then keel over dead" ending was so preposterous I never played it a 2nd time. No matter the length or quality, the only other game I failed to play a 2nd time was Deus Ex: Invisible War to give you an idea!

28. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 5, 2011, 07:08 Dades

Nucas wrote on May 5, 2011, 00:24:

we did? that's funny, i remember enjoying it both times i played it. didn't they also announce it selling one million copies? just because all the nerds on whatever message board you like to read cry about how it's a terrible game or whatever the fuck doesn't make it public consensus. i'm getting sick of all this hyperbole.

We don't know what their budget was but they haven't been trumpeting its success very much lately so I think it's safe to assume that one million copies might not have been enough. There's also been a surprising lack of DLC.

27. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 5, 2011, 03:33 entr0py

Maybe they actually learned a lesson. I don't know if it was EA or Bioware that decided to cut corners and rush DA2. But hopefully they both see the shortened development time as a failed experiment.  

26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 5, 2011, 02:06 Paranoid Jack

I'm wondering if you'll get ME3 free when purchasing DA3...  

25. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 5, 2011, 00:52 Jerykk

i remember enjoying it both times i played it.

Wait, you actually beat DA2 twice? I don't even... wow. I'm having difficulty motivating myself to even beat it once.

24. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 5, 2011, 00:24 Nucas

Fion wrote on May 4, 2011, 20:07:
Yea, Bioware got scared when the professional and gaming community as a whole considered Dragon Age 2 a complete failure. They probably scraped and begged EA for a little more development time for ME3.

we did? that's funny, i remember enjoying it both times i played it. didn't they also announce it selling one million copies? just because all the nerds on whatever message board you like to read cry about how it's a terrible game or whatever the fuck doesn't make it public consensus. i'm getting sick of all this hyperbole.

if anything i think it's complimentary that bioware's titles are always so good that there's this much bawling and whining. that said, i wonder what's going on at bioware.. even as someone who enjoyed DA2, that it was rushed out the door is apparent. since when does bioware need to rush anything?

i must assume it's EA's corrosive influence as there are no other major changes at their studio i can think of to account for it. that is unfortunate. bioware knows what they're doing and need to be left to it without fucking brainless corporate suits meddling in it.

with such a short dev cycle one million copies must surely be enough to financially justify a sequel, hopefully. and hopefully that means this time EA keeps their fucking hands off since i imagine a lot of that one million was pre-orders and they may very well have burned that bridge with their greed.

23. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 22:51 Jerykk

The lowest common denominator is not looking for more simplicity. They're looking for more accessibility, and the best developers bring both complexity and accessibility.

Complexity and accessibility are inversely correlated. You more you have of one, the less you have of the other. The beter developers strike a decent balance between them but there is always compromise in terms of long-term depth.

On a side note, here's what Riticello had to say about the delay:

"Essentially, step by step, [BioWare is] adjusting some of the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you'll see at E3 that can put this into a genre equivalent of shooter-meets-RPG, and essentially address a far larger market opportunity than Mass Effect 1 did and Mass Effect 2 began to approach."

That doesn't bode well. Larger market = dumbed down. It wouldn't surprise me if the RPG elements were toned down even further from ME2. Stat customization for companions? Bye bye.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2011, 00:22.

22. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 22:35 Sepharo

finga wrote on May 4, 2011, 22:29:
The lowest common denominator is not looking for more simplicity. They're looking for more accessibility, and the best developers bring both complexity and accessibility. Dragon Age 2 timing and missteps aside, BioWare has done pretty well at that over the last decade-plus.

Yes to the continual detriment of their properties in my opinion.

I felt dumb for buying ME2, that hadn't happened since Oblivion and even that wasn't all that bad. DA2 was a no buy and ME3 will definitely be a title I hold off on until trustworthy reviews.

I still would like to see the full story of ME2 and hell probably ME3 but the gameplay just bored the hell out of me.

21. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 22:29 finga

The lowest common denominator is not looking for more simplicity. They're looking for more accessibility, and the best developers bring both complexity and accessibility. Dragon Age 2 timing and missteps aside, BioWare has done pretty well at that over the last decade-plus.  

20. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 22:27 Dades

More time can only be a good thing in this case. After seeing Dragon Age II Bioware can all the time it needs for Mass Effect 3. Rushed Bioware titles are shit.  

19. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 21:13 Sepharo

finga wrote on May 4, 2011, 21:09:
Sepharo wrote on May 4, 2011, 20:20:
So which is it:

A. Delayed to make it more appealing to the LCD.
B. Delayed to make it more appealing to (hardcore) gamers.
If the aim is to make a better game, then why can't it be both?

To be blunt: One group wants more complexity and the others want more simplicity.

Usually you can't have both.

18. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 21:09 finga

Sepharo wrote on May 4, 2011, 20:20:
So which is it:

If the aim is to make a better game, then why can't it be both?

17. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 21:05 MajorD

They are "LASER Focused"! Well, alright then........

16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 20:30 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Actually...

C. Delayed to maximize Q4 profitability and gain some stock points.

15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 20:29 peteham

Creston wrote on May 4, 2011, 20:18:
For once, I don't mind at all. First of, there's a ton of great games already coming out in November, and this will give them a few more months to make sure it doesn't suffer from Dragon Age 2 Syndrome.

Great news.
Couldn't agree more, great news indeed. Let's just hope the extra time is spent fleshing out locations and such as opposed to squeezing in a hammerhead-level..

Edit: And then I spotted the ominous link of doom.

14. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 20:20 Sepharo

Fion wrote on May 4, 2011, 20:07:
Yea, Bioware got scared when the professional and gaming community as a whole considered Dragon Age 2 a complete failure. They probably scraped and begged EA for a little more development time for ME3.

That's what I was thinking. But LordCrew's link says otherwise...

So which is it:

13. Re: Mass Effect 3 Delayed May 4, 2011, 20:18 Creston

For once, I don't mind at all. First of, there's a ton of great games already coming out in November, and this will give them a few more months to make sure it doesn't suffer from Dragon Age 2 Syndrome.

Great news.

Creston

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo