Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances

Dark Sky Entertainment announces that Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances are both now open source. The Beyond Protocol source is available here on SourceForge.net and the Star Alliances source is here. Here's word accompanying the Beyond Protocol release: "This is the full sourcecode, all graphics, music, soundfx, and assets related to the game. Binaries are available in the downloads, however, it is advised that you run all execution from MS Studio debugger so that no chance of dataloss can exist."

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 16:59 Oneprince

If I had to guess, I'd say it was just familiarity with the whole Visual Studio IDE. I took a peek at the code and it's all pretty straightforward. Would be pretty easy I think for a beginner coder to get in and tinker around. Only stopping point would be understanding what all the servers do and how to get them all up and running in tandem as it seems like the .ini files are not in the project...unless I'm not seeing them.

Only caveat that I noticed at a glance was all the inline sql... no BLL or DAL would give me a headache.

-Oneprince

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 16:25 Tom

Clancy wrote on May 4, 2011, 15:51:
Could have been a worse license. I am still in shock that this is all VB code.
I had no idea anyone would use VB for a MMO...and since it is written in VB, most linux people couldn't really run it, and I don't think mono is of use here. Hmmm.

I'm assuming you understand the difference between VB and VB.NET - they're very different. Anyway, if this stuff doesn't run on Linux, it's not because the code is VB.NET.

This open-source train sim (previously mentioned on Blue's News) works on Windows, Mac, and Linux and is written in C#. It could just as easily have been written in VB.NET:
http://openbve.trainsimcentral.co.uk/downloads.html

If Mono isn't "of use", it's due to decisions made by the developers other than choice of programming language. Mono works fine with VB.NET.

5. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 16:03 Zptr

I had a tinker with both games a couple of years ago and they seemed to be to be how you'd imagine a Battlecruiser 3000AD game if it were re-imagined into an RTS.

Read into that what you will.

http://blog.playscifi.com

4. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 15:51 Clancy

DrEvil wrote on May 4, 2011, 13:49:
A somewhat half-hearted gesture by the developer.

It's apparently Visual Basic .NET code, and it's released under the fairly restrictive "Non-Profit Open Software License version 3.0":

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/NOSL3.0

That's a problem because it's incompatible with a large number of licenses from other libraries and projects.

While I'm sure fans might appreciate the gesture, it's a poor choice of license and will keep it from being widely available on other platforms.

In particular, condition 17, a) of the license seems difficult at best for anyone to actually legally fulfil:

(a) Licensor represents and declares that it is a not-for-profit organization that derives no revenue whatsoever from the distribution of the Original Work or Derivative Works thereof, or from support or services relating thereto.

Yes, because every open source developer just happens to be part of a Non-Profit organisation. *rolls eyes*
Could have been a worse license. I am still in shock that this is all VB code.
I had no idea anyone would use VB for a MMO...and since it is written in VB, most linux people couldn't really run it, and I don't think mono is of use here. Hmmm.

3. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 13:52 JoeNapalm

Dev wrote on May 4, 2011, 11:31:
What kinda games are they?

Open source.

Bah-dun bump KRISH!

(But seriously, MMORTSs apparently.)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

2. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 13:49 DrEvil

A somewhat half-hearted gesture by the developer.

It's apparently Visual Basic .NET code, and it's released under the fairly restrictive "Non-Profit Open Software License version 3.0":

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/NOSL3.0

That's a problem because it's incompatible with a large number of licenses from other libraries and projects.

While I'm sure fans might appreciate the gesture, it's a poor choice of license and will keep it from being widely available on other platforms.

In particular, condition 17, a) of the license seems difficult at best for anyone to actually legally fulfil:

(a) Licensor represents and declares that it is a not-for-profit organization that derives no revenue whatsoever from the distribution of the Original Work or Derivative Works thereof, or from support or services relating thereto.

Yes, because every open source developer just happens to be part of a Non-Profit organisation. *rolls eyes*

1. Re: Open Source Beyond Protocol and Star Alliances May 4, 2011, 11:31 Dev

What kinda games are they?  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo