Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Brink HUD Trailer

On the brink of the release of Brink, the Bethesda Blog offers the latest in their "Get SMART" series of trailers. This installment shows off the game's heads up display, and its application on the battlefield in Splash Damage's upcoming first-person shooter.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 4, 2011, 06:53 /FÂ\ SLI

Gotta love the "First Persons Hooter" genre  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 4, 2011, 05:48 Bucky

Jerykk wrote on May 4, 2011, 04:06:
So... the video clearly shows that the special abilities selector was designed for the D-Pad on a console controller. Unfortunately, my mouse and keyboard don't have D-Pads. How will special ability selection work on PC?

Just bind the keys however you'd like. My best guess is that by default they'll be on the number keys, since they won't be needed for weapon selection. You can only carry two weapons, so a single weapon toggle key is all you need for them.

17. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 4, 2011, 04:06 Jerykk

So... the video clearly shows that the special abilities selector was designed for the D-Pad on a console controller. Unfortunately, my mouse and keyboard don't have D-Pads. How will special ability selection work on PC?  

16. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 18:58 Bucky

Thanks to a recall from Amazon I had some spare funds, so I purchased a second copy from them since I wanted all of the unique weapons and attachments.

Yes, I'm a sucker. I also can't wait for this game.

15. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 17:40 Cutter

Yeah! One more stinkin week to go! I am stoked!  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

14. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 15:31 SpectralMeat

I can't remember which game was the last one I got from D2D that was Steam enabled and they also let you download it prior to release. I know I got games from D2D before that were downloadable before Steam even though they were Steam games.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 15:25 OpticNerve

Verno wrote on May 3, 2011, 13:43:
One downside - D2D typically doesn't send out keys early for preloads. I'm not sure if this game is getting a preload in any case though.

Over in the Dedicated Server FAQ it had a blurb about preloads:

Before we dive into the rest of the stuff, as noted over on Bethblog, we're also working to ensure you'll be able to pre-load Brink on Steam prior to release. We'll let you know once we have more information in regards to timeframes and such.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

12. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 14:39 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on May 3, 2011, 13:08:
Done purchased, total came to $38.21
use code: CB992598C1A43D97CB6584A86DC560B1
to get an extra 15% off on top of the current 10% off all preorders.

That sounds like it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 14:15 Elessar

Verno wrote on May 3, 2011, 12:13:
I asked one of the developers on the forums how the smart navigation system works for the environment. He basically said that the sprint button can be held down to automatically traverse the environment but it will only do the basics, sliding under things or grabbing a ledge to vault over. To do the more complex stuff they've shown in some videos you need to combine the crouch and jump keys. An example he gave me was some guy leaping over a railing to grab a post and swing across a gap. It sounded like an interesting idea that offers an easy solution to those that don't want to think about it while offering more advanced things for other players.
At first I was turned off by the idea that it auto traverses some things, but imagining it I can see how it would be less monotonous to do the more repetitive tasks. I'm still torn though. I'm sure it'll be fine once I get to feel out for myself.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

10. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 13:43 Verno

Oh and for anyone else on the fence, it's a Steamworks game so it just registers to your Steam account

One downside - D2D typically doesn't send out keys early for preloads. I'm not sure if this game is getting a preload in any case though.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

9. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 13:32 orangedragon10

Thanks for the info Thanks to you, I decided to make the jump and pre-order.  

8. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 13:08 SpectralMeat

Done purchased, total came to $38.21
use code: CB992598C1A43D97CB6584A86DC560B1
to get an extra 15% off on top of the current 10% off all preorders.

7. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 13:05 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on May 3, 2011, 13:03:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.
D2D usually have those 20% off promos but not this week, 10% off any preorders is the only one I am aware of.

Yeah, someone had a code, but that was last week...not sure how long it was.

6. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 13:03 SpectralMeat

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.
D2D usually have those 20% off promos but not this week, 10% off any preorders is the only one I am aware of.

5. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 13:01 nin

I have about $40 in D2D credit actually thinking about pulling the trigger on this game. Couldn't find enough promos to stack to bring the price below $40

Check the steam boards - think I read there that people were getting it for $38 on D2D.

4. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 12:57 SpectralMeat

I have about $40 in D2D credit actually thinking about pulling the trigger on this game. Couldn't find enough promos to stack to bring the price below $40  

3. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 12:53 Verno

It almost sounds like some of those advanced moves will be easier to pull off with a controller instead of the keyboard.

I think it's still based on where you are looking too, mouse supremacy

You can pick up the game pretty cheap on D2D if you stack a few coupons, I got my copy for something like $37.50 and the Splash Damage guys are very experienced multiplayer devs with a knack for balance.

2. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 12:49 SpectralMeat

It almost sounds like some of those advanced moves will be easier to pull off with a controller instead of the keyboard. Would love to try a demo of this game. The gameplay videos look great, but that doesn't mean much these days unfortunately.  

1. Re: Brink HUD Trailer May 3, 2011, 12:13 Verno

I asked one of the developers on the forums how the smart navigation system works for the environment. He basically said that the sprint button can be held down to automatically traverse the environment but it will only do the basics, sliding under things or grabbing a ledge to vault over. To do the more complex stuff they've shown in some videos you need to combine the crouch and jump keys. An example he gave me was some guy leaping over a railing to grab a post and swing across a gap. It sounded like an interesting idea that offers an easy solution to those that don't want to think about it while offering more advanced things for other players.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo