Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio

French video game publisher and developer Ubisoft is launching a movie studio called Ubisoft Motion Pictures to develop films based on their videogame franchises, reports Variety. They note that last year's Jerry Bruckheimer produced Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time grossed about $335 million USD worldwide, and say: "Ubisoft's Paris-based film division is headed by Jean-Julien Baronnet, former CEO of Luc Besson's EuropaCorp. Gallic producer Didier Lupfer ("Gainsbourg") is in charge of production and development, while Jean de Rivieres, former topper of distribution at Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures France, handles marketing and international sales."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 3, 2011, 15:39 Kxmode

If their movies tank at the box office they can still blame it on pirates.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 3, 2011, 14:53 Jonny

Beamer wrote on May 3, 2011, 09:36:
What baffled me about Prince of Persia was why the Prince, who was presumably also a Persian, had a yorkshire accent?

Why did the Roman gladiators of Gladiator have a Yorkshire accent?

It isn't "white-washing" or racism, it's just that Americans expect to hear a foreign accent from a foreign character but have trouble with accents other than British since none are nearly as similar. Had all the people in Gladiator spoken with German accents we'd have needed subtitles.

I'm not saying the rest wasn't whitewashing, as it fairly clearly was. I'm just saying the accents weren't. Any American movie set in a foreign land will use British accents.

That's quite bizarre. Although it does remind me of a forum argument I had once, in which I was told that I spoke with a British accent, not an English accent, because Americans speak english and therefore the concept of an "english" accent would be difficult to comprehend.

16. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 3, 2011, 09:36 Beamer

What baffled me about Prince of Persia was why the Prince, who was presumably also a Persian, had a yorkshire accent?

Why did the Roman gladiators of Gladiator have a Yorkshire accent?

It isn't "white-washing" or racism, it's just that Americans expect to hear a foreign accent from a foreign character but have trouble with accents other than British since none are nearly as similar. Had all the people in Gladiator spoken with German accents we'd have needed subtitles.

I'm not saying the rest wasn't whitewashing, as it fairly clearly was. I'm just saying the accents weren't. Any American movie set in a foreign land will use British accents.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 3, 2011, 09:27 wtf_man

Genesys wrote on May 2, 2011, 23:32:
Three in a row! Ok, from now on, everyone has to get in the joke line so they can be handed a unique joke to use in their posts

Ok... in line again... here's another one I saw on a different forum...

You will have to buy DLC to see the end of the Movie.

14. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 3, 2011, 08:57 Slashman

necrosis wrote on May 3, 2011, 08:44:
Jonny wrote on May 3, 2011, 04:14:
What baffled me about Prince of Persia was why the Prince, who was presumably also a Persian, had a yorkshire accent? All the way through the film I kept expecting him to turn to that princess and say "'ey up, chuck, fancy a brew?" or "eeey by gum I'm dyin' for a cuppa tea".

Made the film so much better than it would otherwise have been.
Its called "whitewashing". Air Bender and now Akira are suffering from it.

IIRC the reasoning was that he came across better using his own natural accent rather than trying to imitate one...or something like that.

13. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 3, 2011, 08:44 necrosis

Jonny wrote on May 3, 2011, 04:14:
What baffled me about Prince of Persia was why the Prince, who was presumably also a Persian, had a yorkshire accent? All the way through the film I kept expecting him to turn to that princess and say "'ey up, chuck, fancy a brew?" or "eeey by gum I'm dyin' for a cuppa tea".

Its called "whitewashing". Air Bender and now Akira are suffering from it.

12. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 3, 2011, 04:14 Jonny

11. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 23:55 Dev

Same kinda thing like all the game studios going after MMORPGs because they see the shining example of WoW, and then they all fail.

Ubi is crazy if they thinking ONE example of a non sucky video game average action movie means its a good investment for them. Pretty much all others have sucked, especially ones with uwe boll who had financial motives to make his movies failures.

If they have so much money its burning holes in their pockets, why not do a few more video games? Maybe patch out their crappy DRM after a year.

10. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 23:32 Genesys

Three in a row! Ok, from now on, everyone has to get in the joke line so they can be handed a unique joke to use in their posts

9. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 23:11 Creston

In order to watch a movie with them, you'll have to be constantly in touch via cellphone to their main Hollywood office. If the connection fails for any reason, you are unceremoniously kicked out of the box-office, and your rental ticket is invalidated.

Creston

8. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 22:46 WyldKat

Ubisoft movies will require you to maintain a constant internet connection at all times, even in the theater, or playback will cease.

WTF_Man beat me to it.

7. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 22:42 wtf_man

Bet you'll need a constant Internet Connection to watch their shitty movies.

...err wait.

...I meant that for their DVDs and Blue Rays too... really.

6. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 22:36 Sepharo

grudgebearer wrote on May 2, 2011, 22:13:
Watch their flagship director be none other than the amazing 'Uwe Boll'...

But he's German.

5. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 22:13 grudgebearer

Watch their flagship director be none other than the amazing 'Uwe Boll'...  

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

4. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 21:37 nin

The film wasn't horrible.

It was pretty goofy. (thanks netflix!)

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 21:34 Slashman

Cutter wrote on May 2, 2011, 21:28:
Really? That pos film made that sort of money? I guess Armageddon really isn't too far off.

Dude...you need to lay off the coffee and relax a little.

The film wasn't horrible. It just wasn't what I'd call exceptional. For a summer popcorn flick, it could have been much worse(Max Payne).

That said, I can't see why a game studio would even try something like this. And if any studio was going to, I'd figure that Bioware would be the main one. Since the Mass Effect series kind of presents itself like a movie.

2. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 21:28 Cutter

Really? That pos film made that sort of money? I guess Armageddon really isn't too far off.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Ubisoft Launching Movie Studio May 2, 2011, 20:42 nin

How could this possibly go wrong?!?!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo