Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Station.com Intrusion

Sony's Station.com now offers a "Service Under Maintenance" message, indicating the troubles on their network are escalating: "We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday)."

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 23:58 kanniballl

Tumbler wrote on May 2, 2011, 18:44:
The credit card data stolen, however, comes from an outdated database from 2007. That database contained 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates, along with the direct debit information for 10,700 customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain.

Sony says it is old...and not in the US....but still a good idea to close any accounts that are with Sony.

But it also says that names, addresses, DoBs, etc were taken... my guess from a different server.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 23:19 Creston

JoeNapalm wrote on May 2, 2011, 13:57:
I don't think Geohot is behind it in any way, just people who are angry about how he was treated - but I also don't think this is script kiddies or even ID thieves.

Script kiddies wouldn't have the chops to do this kind of outtage - DDOS, yeah, hammer a major corporation for this kind of loss of face and revenue? No.

ID Thieves good enough to pull this off would be smart enough to do it quietly. A smash-and-grab doesn't work so well with credit card numbers - too easy to just call and get it canceled.

I don't condone what they've done - I just think Sony handled it badly, and now someone's sending them a message.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

No, what I meant was that the guys who did the Sony hack, which is most likely professional thieves, aren't going to give two shits about what Geohot or Anonymous says or does. Not that they themselves were script kiddies.

Creston

45. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 19:39 Dades

Tumbler wrote on May 2, 2011, 18:44:
The credit card data stolen, however, comes from an outdated database from 2007. That database contained 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates, along with the direct debit information for 10,700 customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain.

Sony says it is old...and not in the US....but still a good idea to close any accounts that are with Sony.

Sony also said that they were only down for maintenance and initially that no CVV info was part of the database. They haven't been trustworthy so far which begs the question why people are giving them credit card information in the first place.

44. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 18:44 Tumbler

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

43. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 18:27 ASeven

Ok, this one is new.

Apparently the first confirmations are coming out.

EDIT: Holy shit, it appears that the direct debit info has also been compromised, that means, the bank account itself. Holy shit, this keeps getting worse and worse.

42. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 18:20 ASeven

Sepharo wrote on May 2, 2011, 18:07:
ASeven wrote on May 2, 2011, 17:26:
Oh boy...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/02/sony-troubles-extend-to-pc-services/

Yep, that's what this post is about...

Was there something else I'm supposed to be looking at on this link?

Oh I see now, you want to add to the commenting pattern but here instead of there

Hehehe to be honest I wasn't aware Station.com was the same site RPS mentioned. Not a Sony customer, see?

41. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 18:07 Sepharo

ASeven wrote on May 2, 2011, 17:26:
Oh boy...

Yep, that's what this post is about...

Was there something else I'm supposed to be looking at on this link?

Oh I see now, you want to add to the commenting pattern but here instead of there

40. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 17:42 Necrophob

I've seen several claims of cc fraud on Arstechnica since this started, but I thought it might have just been coincidence. I warned my brother, whose son has a PS3, to monitor his credit card, and he said they'd already been called about an odd charge, the same weekend this started.

So yah, little TOO much of a coincidence. I'm not buying Sony's "cc info was encrypted". Knowing them, they encrypted it with the same key that was used to crack the PS3.

39. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 17:26 ASeven

Oh boy...

38. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 17:22 ASeven

I'm watching the events as they happen. Personally, I have a gut feeling that more shit will happen before the dust settles and what we're seeing now is the tip of an iceberg.

Either way, at this point, I would advise anyone who has a PS3 to cancel their CCs, I think it's safe to say at this point that CC data has indeed been breached.

Whatever may happen, the next few months will be crucial for Sony.

37. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 16:51 Dev

Oh joy, now the SOE accounts are probably getting hit and Sony just doesn't want to admit it yet.

I think my credit cards have changed since last I paid anything on SOE

36. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 16:27 Muscular Beaver

Beamer wrote on May 2, 2011, 14:12:
I'm thoroughly happy about this.

I'm sure you'd be ecstatic if your credit card had thousands of dollars of fraudulent purchases and your SSN was stolen all in the name of sending a message to "corporate spooge monkeys."

You probably don't have a PS3, though, so your information is safe. Which, then, makes me wonder why you really care about Sony's actions at all.

Are there any reports of credit card fraud yet? My friend canceled his CC on the day it was announced they were hacked and didnt have any damage.

Anyway, I dont have a PS3 either, and Ive stopped buying Sony products like 2 years ago. I am also very happy. Why I care? Because I love when arrogant and ignorant corporate suits learn the hard way. Should be MUCH more common these days.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

35. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 16:18 PropheT

JoeNapalm wrote on May 2, 2011, 16:08:
Hell, I'm one of the people who gets called in to clean this kind of crap up, so I definitely don't condone the action - but it WAS a predictable result of the actions that Sony took.

That assumes that the attacks are the result of hackers with a vendetta against Sony, which doesn't seem all that likely considering what was taken means it was probably just opportunistic identity thieves looking for a treasure box of information to sell. It worked on PSN, so SOE's network would be a logical next step to try.

34. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 16:12 Verno

Well in the case of Valve the guy who hacked into their networks and obtained Source actually contacted them because he wanted a job. Valve contacted the FBI who tried to get overseas authorities(I think it was the German or Dutch police) on a plane so he could be charged over here where the laws are more unforgiving with regards to data theft and intrusion. The cops over there didn't co-operate and kept him around because he was young. Anyway, I agree with your other points though. People are quick to forget that they weren't just suing Geohot and you can't prod the bull without getting the horns.

Microsoft sues commercial pirate ops and whatnot, they don't generally go after some dude hacking firmware in his basement unless he's doing it for profit.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2011, 16:17.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

33. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 16:08 JoeNapalm

killer_roach wrote on May 2, 2011, 15:12:
Verno wrote on May 2, 2011, 15:05:
killer_roach wrote on May 2, 2011, 14:55:
I'm more frightened by the people who think this sort of hacker action is justified. Remind me never to work with any of you.

I think you're confusing the word justified with expected. This is a common occurrence in the corporate world, there is a reason there are two entire industries built around it.

I wasn't referring to you specifically, just pointing out the number of people saying that they were "glad" the intrusion happened and saying that it's "what Sony gets for messing with hackers"... that's insidious thinking. I realize the people saying that don't have a stake in the game more than likely, but it's still a noxious idea to perpetrate, and yes, I do believe the people saying such things are considering the intrusion "justified". After all, if this happened in response to supposed slights to the hacker community, does that not make these black hats, in both word and deed, tantamount to terrorists? "Mess with us and we'll cripple your infrastructure and hopefully bring you down"... I'm not one for hyperbole, but there are parallels to be drawn here.

There's a big difference between saying "If you don't seek shelter during a thunderstorm, you could be struck by lightening" and saying "You DESERVED to get struck by lightening!"

As someone who has to deal with this crap, I'm just calling it how I see it. Sony kicked the hornet's nest. Whether or not the hornet's nest was asking for it is open for debate.

Obviously, committing a felony because you're angry Sony sued a dude is stupid and unjustified - if you're that angry, start a grass-roots movement or something, don't nuke the entire PSN.

Hell, I'm one of the people who gets called in to clean this kind of crap up, so I definitely don't condone the action - but it WAS a predictable result of the actions that Sony took.

Valve or MS would have given Geohot a T-shirt, or maybe hired him. Sony sued him for $50M. The difference? Sony saw only an individual, not a community.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

32. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 15:45 Suddenly_Dead

They specifically said that the intrusion made it past multiple firewalls using a known exploit. i.e. they didn't patch their systems.  

31. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 15:13 Kajetan

Tumbler wrote on May 2, 2011, 14:18:
Judging by Sony's response I'd say the thieves had this data long before they took PSN down.
Yupp, this might be the case. And the breach has nothing to do with the
BIOS of the PS3, but was probably executed with established methods like a little bit research about responsible IT employees, some social engineering, maybe a malware injection with a facebook link to click on and voila! ... the door is wide open.

30. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 15:12 killer_roach

Verno wrote on May 2, 2011, 15:05:
I'm more frightened by the people who think this sort of hacker action is justified. Remind me never to work with any of you.

I think you're confusing the word justified with expected. This is a common occurrence in the corporate world, there is a reason there are two entire industries built around it.

I wasn't referring to you specifically, just pointing out the number of people saying that they were "glad" the intrusion happened and saying that it's "what Sony gets for messing with hackers"... that's insidious thinking. I realize the people saying that don't have a stake in the game more than likely, but it's still a noxious idea to perpetrate, and yes, I do believe the people saying such things are considering the intrusion "justified". After all, if this happened in response to supposed slights to the hacker community, does that not make these black hats, in both word and deed, tantamount to terrorists? "Mess with us and we'll cripple your infrastructure and hopefully bring you down"... I'm not one for hyperbole, but there are parallels to be drawn here.

29. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 15:05 Verno

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

28. Re: Station.com Intrusion May 2, 2011, 15:03 Kajetan

Remind me to explain "improper generalization" to you ...

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo