Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DC Universe Online Server Merges

Prior to the outage reported above, the DC Universe Online Website offered an announcement of planned server merges for SOE's MMORPG (thanks MMORPG.com and Gamasutra). Word is:

We have heard your concerns about queue times on the servers. This game is about people playing and fighting together so we feel your pain. Sometime in the next month, we are going to test new technology to meld all of our US and European PC and PS3 servers into four Super-Servers, one for each platform in each region. This will allow for more opportunities to queue and participate in other group related game mechanics. We are hoping to get this on our PC Test Server to start testing, again, sometime in the next month and then will tune it up for the PS3 platform as well. As soon as we know more about testing and timing we will let you know. But, believe this it is one of our top priorities. Again, thanks for your patience, we appreciate your support.

View
10. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 13:40 kanniballl

necrosis wrote on May 2, 2011, 12:48:
kanniballl wrote on May 2, 2011, 12:31:
As for all servers, Sony supposedly gave a reason why last-minute they decided to not let PCs play w/ PS3s but I doubt it was a good one.
The reason I heard was that PC and PS3 use completely different authentication systems. PS3 using PSN (this is why on PS3 you don't have to put in a l/p to start play) and PC uses... something different (I forget what).

That is also the reason the PS3 version never got a lifetime option for subscription. You could not charge what they were asking for a lifetime subscription because of PSN payment limitations. Whatever the PC was using could.

The fact that PC and PS3 were on different servers was the main reason I never got into this. I have a few friends that were interested but only gamed on PS3.

Thinking back, that sounds like what I remember reading.

It's a shame; from what I hear the PS3 population is still going strong even though the PC population is dying. This would've done away with the population issues.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. May 2, 11:43 Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges fawker
  5. May 2, 12:16  Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Cutter
  2. May 2, 11:50 Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges necrosis
  4. May 2, 12:14  Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges kanniballl
  3. May 2, 12:10 Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges ChopperDan
  7. May 2, 12:28  Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges kanniballl
  14. May 2, 16:39  Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges The Half Elf
  6. May 2, 12:24 Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges necrosis
  8. May 2, 12:31  Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges kanniballl