Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DC Universe Online Server Merges

Prior to the outage reported above, the DC Universe Online Website offered an announcement of planned server merges for SOE's MMORPG (thanks MMORPG.com and Gamasutra). Word is:

We have heard your concerns about queue times on the servers. This game is about people playing and fighting together so we feel your pain. Sometime in the next month, we are going to test new technology to meld all of our US and European PC and PS3 servers into four Super-Servers, one for each platform in each region. This will allow for more opportunities to queue and participate in other group related game mechanics. We are hoping to get this on our PC Test Server to start testing, again, sometime in the next month and then will tune it up for the PS3 platform as well. As soon as we know more about testing and timing we will let you know. But, believe this – it is one of our top priorities. Again, thanks for your patience, we appreciate your support.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 19:30 The Half Elf

Steele you have to find a middle ground. Take for example World of Warcraft and Champions Online/Star Trek Online.

In World of Warcraft's case, you have a fair grind to max level, but tons and tons of content to get you there. But in Champions Online/Star Trek Online, the grind to max level isn't as 'steep' due to lack of content so it's enough to get ya there.

In DCUO, you could hit the cap literally within a week playing casually.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 17:46 Steele Johnson

I'm curious, are the people who are saying that it's too easy and you hit the level cap really quickly, the same people who complain when games have a heavy grind?  

14. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 16:39 The Half Elf

ChopperDan wrote on May 2, 2011, 12:10:
And we see what happens when you develop an MMO for the console and then port it to the computer.

The game itself is fine on the PC. The only quirk was learning combo's with your mouse buttons, but other then that it's quite a nice game EXCEPT that it has none of the depth that City of Heroes/Champions Online has when it comes to customizing your character's looks and power sets.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 15:10 kanniballl

Fion wrote on May 2, 2011, 14:31:
It's quite a good game. But it's a poor MMOG.

I can agree.

It's a fun game: action-oriented, creating a hero, fighting in the DC realm, etc. Honestly, playing the game with a game pad is fun... not Arkham Asylum fun but still fun. A lot better than other games and their auto-hit method.

That all being said the MMO part is where it fails. The game doesn't promote team-play until a *little* bit in the middle when they introduce the optional Alerts.

Then the end-game is *all* about Raids and Hard-Mode-Alerts so you have to deal with newly-minted 30s not knowing how to play their role.

Then again it *still* does a better job promoting teaming than Champions Online did (but nowhere as much as City of Heroes did).

Is it worth $15 USD a month? Probably not, especially since you can reach lvl 30 in 15-20 hours. Rather-rinse for the 13 current trees (6 power sets, 2 trees a-piece, and Iconic) and you can have your fill of the game in 1-2 months.

A cheaper price of F2F would be good though.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2011, 15:34.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 14:31 Fion

It's quite a good game. But it's a poor MMOG. If they had went with a model besides monthly subscriptions it probably would be doing a lot better right now. I and a good number of folks I know stopped playing because it just wasn't really worth the $15 monthly fee.  

11. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 14:23 necrosis

kanniballl wrote on May 2, 2011, 13:40:
It's a shame; from what I hear the PS3 population is still going strong even though the PC population is dying. This would've done away with the population issues.
Yeah because its a rather crappy MMO by PC standards.

10. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 13:40 kanniballl

necrosis wrote on May 2, 2011, 12:48:
kanniballl wrote on May 2, 2011, 12:31:
As for all servers, Sony supposedly gave a reason why last-minute they decided to not let PCs play w/ PS3s but I doubt it was a good one.
The reason I heard was that PC and PS3 use completely different authentication systems. PS3 using PSN (this is why on PS3 you don't have to put in a l/p to start play) and PC uses... something different (I forget what).

That is also the reason the PS3 version never got a lifetime option for subscription. You could not charge what they were asking for a lifetime subscription because of PSN payment limitations. Whatever the PC was using could.

The fact that PC and PS3 were on different servers was the main reason I never got into this. I have a few friends that were interested but only gamed on PS3.

Thinking back, that sounds like what I remember reading.

It's a shame; from what I hear the PS3 population is still going strong even though the PC population is dying. This would've done away with the population issues.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 12:48 necrosis

kanniballl wrote on May 2, 2011, 12:31:
As for all servers, Sony supposedly gave a reason why last-minute they decided to not let PCs play w/ PS3s but I doubt it was a good one.
The reason I heard was that PC and PS3 use completely different authentication systems. PS3 using PSN (this is why on PS3 you don't have to put in a l/p to start play) and PC uses... something different (I forget what).

That is also the reason the PS3 version never got a lifetime option for subscription. You could not charge what they were asking for a lifetime subscription because of PSN payment limitations. Whatever the PC was using could.

The fact that PC and PS3 were on different servers was the main reason I never got into this. I have a few friends that were interested but only gamed on PS3.

8. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 12:31 kanniballl

necrosis wrote on May 2, 2011, 12:24:
The game is amazingly simple.

A friend of mine who has never really played a MMO before hit the level cap inside a week IIRC.

I got 1/2 way there in one night on the beta. But I do not know if EXP was accelerated or not.

As for everyone on the same servers. FFXI has done this since day one. Yes there are more than one server but anyone from any region can play on any server. Them playing on PC, PS2/3, 360 does not matter either.

Agreed on the simple: hitting the level cap is very quick: 15-20 hours if you don't try too hard.

It looks like they tried to cater to the casual player, something that might occur a lot on the PS3s, but perhaps over-did it.

-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 12:28 kanniballl

ChopperDan wrote on May 2, 2011, 12:10:
And we see what happens when you develop an MMO for the console and then port it to the computer.

A lot of people complain about various things.

Personally I have a blast playing it with the gamepad so I don't have much issue with anything.

The only 3 issues I have are:

• Higher-res textures would be nice.

• More visual options would be nicer.

• Population after 2 months made the PuG queues take way too long.

• People playing on mouse+keyboard obviously have targeting woes, but it's not like the game is unplayable.

Meanwhile people in Champions Online were complaining that we had TOO many powers in our power bar, while DCUO had people complaining we had too few.

I personally like the way DCUO did it though I would like more load-outs.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2011, 12:36.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 12:24 necrosis

The game is amazingly simple.

A friend of mine who has never really played a MMO before hit the level cap inside a week IIRC.

I got 1/2 way there in one night on the beta. But I do not know if EXP was accelerated or not.

As for everyone on the same servers. FFXI has done this since day one. Yes there are more than one server but anyone from any region can play on any server. Them playing on PC, PS2/3, 360 does not matter either.

5. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 12:16 Cutter

fawker wrote on May 2, 2011, 11:43:
    Great news! In other words they don't have the player count they anticipated, so expect that price point for the client to go down soon.

I don't pay 50+ dollars for mmorpgs anymore.

I wouldn't pay more than $5 for the client. And this game will be F2P before long. Big surprise there.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 12:14 kanniballl

necrosis wrote on May 2, 2011, 11:50:
    Here I was hoping they would put everyone on the same servers.

Its not like it can't be done.

I don't play many MMO's, but the only time I've seen that is when they've done the equivalent of shards or zones.

Like in Champions Online, you can hope across map-instances to be with the people you want (so long as the one you wan't isn't full). To get by the naming issue they have toon@account.

I'm glad they're doing this. There are only a handful of populated servers. My main is on the 2nd most populated PvP server and queue times stink.

Now I'm just worried about how this big merge is going to affect our names.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 12:10 ChopperDan

2. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 11:50 necrosis

Here I was hoping they would put everyone on the same servers.

Its not like it can't be done.

1. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges May 2, 2011, 11:43 fawker

Great news! In other words they don't have the player count they anticipated, so expect that price point for the client to go down soon.

I don't pay 50+ dollars for mmorpgs anymore.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo