Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Bitmob - Is Call of Duty doomed?
We come now to the franchiseís current predicament: Itís that time of year again. Activision can be only weeks away from releasing a teaser for Modern Warfare 3, but here is its problem: Infinity Ward is a shell of its former self. Anyone that didnít leave amidst the turmoil surely wonít be bold enough to innovate on what is now Activisionís sole source of income (after they cancelled everything else), and the studio is so depleted that two others are being brought in to help them meet the seemingly compulsory November deadline.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Op Ed May 1, 2011, 23:29 Wowbagger_TIP

It depends on how they deal with the "Why get the new one?" question.
Console gamers will buy it because it says "Call of Doody" on the package. Nothing more need be done. A lot of PC gamers probably will too, but not nearly as high a percentage I'll bet.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Op Ed May 1, 2011, 05:26 Charlie_Six

Come check out my article on Activision's "equity per employee" data. Plz? Thx!
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com/2011/04/is-activision-per-employee-one-of.html

Activision looks healthier than Google, Microsoft, Walmart, etc... they're LOADED with money!

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

20. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? May 1, 2011, 02:51 spindoctor

nin wrote on Apr 30, 2011, 17:38:
Wolfenstein (their last games)

I keep waiting on Steam to put that one sale for dirt cheap, but they never have. The demo on the 360 didn't overly impress me, but for $10 or $20, I'd take a chance.

Maybe next xmas...

Activision games rarely go on sale on Steam. Even if Wolf did go on sale, it would probably be 50% off so it would cost 20$. While I think the single player experience is worth that much, I'm also pretty sure you can get a retail copy of the game at a bargain bin price for 10$ if not less if you look around. It's possible you might prefer to have all games on Steam, but for some games like this you might want to consider making an exception and going the retail route.

For the record, the demo had the first level of the game which I personally considered the weakest section. IIRC, it really started to get good around level 3 onwards. I'd say the demo was a poor representation of the entire game.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

19. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2011, 23:33 Hoop

On its release I did not think much of black ops, the single player was a cheese fest & I missed spec ops for co-op, however co-oping the combat mode I now really enjoy it. Even a fight with the bots the maps are brilliant & the AI just some of the best I have experienced in a game like that, so combat mode saved it for me as I could care less for multi.  

Um .. Behind you...

18. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 22:51 Jerykk

Assuming that most of its fanbase started with CoD4, I'd hope that people would start getting tired of the franchise by now. When you release essentially the game every year, there has to be a point where people have had enough, right?  

17. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 18:58 Ray Marden

Keep an eye on retail then. I picked up Wolfenstein from Amazon six-plus months ago for a flat $10. I haven't been following the game since then, but it certainly gets discounted on a frequent basis.
Admittedly, you have to step away from Steam for a moment.
Thinking it was adequate, but nothing special,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

16. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2011, 18:51 [VG]Reagle

Call of Duty Really is a great game. its not going anywhere.  
As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

15. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2011, 18:26 Dades

I'll be playing Brink, I stopped playing Call of Duty when they tried to go back to world war 2.  

14. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2011, 18:21 briktal

Creston wrote on Apr 30, 2011, 17:28:
Hoop wrote on Apr 30, 2011, 15:44:
I thought treyarch were doing back to back cod games as Infinity Ward imploded?

No, they said a few months back that MW3 would focus on "retelling the story" of MW1. Or, to put it in layman's terms. "We no longer are able to tell a new story, so we're not just going to release the exact same game, we're basically going to reuse all the levels and setpieces as well."

And the idiots will still buy it in droves. I don't blame Activision for shitting in a box every year and watching it make a billion dollars.

Creston

It depends on how they deal with the "Why get the new one?" question. Now this might not be too representative of console gamers, but on PC, there are slightly more people playing MW2 than Black Ops. As yearly games with few changes between years, they are a bit like sports games. However, sports games give people a reason to upgrade with the updated rosters. About the only thing CoD really gives you are new maps and I don't know how much of a draw that is (the map pack DLC sells well at least).

13. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 17:38 nin

Wolfenstein (their last games)

I keep waiting on Steam to put that one sale for dirt cheap, but they never have. The demo on the 360 didn't overly impress me, but for $10 or $20, I'd take a chance.

Maybe next xmas...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2011, 17:28 Creston

Hoop wrote on Apr 30, 2011, 15:44:

No, they said a few months back that MW3 would focus on "retelling the story" of MW1. Or, to put it in layman's terms. "We no longer are able to tell a new story, so we're not just going to release the exact same game, we're basically going to reuse all the levels and setpieces as well."

And the idiots will still buy it in droves. I don't blame Activision for shitting in a box every year and watching it make a billion dollars.

Creston

11. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 17:26 spindoctor

Fion wrote on Apr 30, 2011, 17:04:
Raven has been around for years, but they haven't had a truly great game since the original F.E.A.R. game. As to this Sledgehammer, them I haven't ever heard of.

Raven had nothing to do with the F.E.A.R series. Also, I thought Singularity and Wolfenstein (their last games) were pretty fun single player experiences. Maybe not top of the shelf but very good nonetheless.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

10. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2011, 17:26 Creston

Activision's sole source of income? What, did WoW stop making ~150 million dollars a month when I wasn't looking?

Creston

9. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 17:25 PHJF

Yeah I don't know what you're smoking but FEAR is a Monolith title.

Raven hasn't been making BAD games but the last GREAT game they put out was Jedi Outcast almost 10 years ago.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 17:04 Fion

Raven has been around for years, but they haven't had a truly great game since the original F.E.A.R. game. As to this Sledgehammer, them I haven't ever heard of.  

7. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 17:00 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Apr 30, 2011, 13:05:
Speaking of FPS, I'm looking forward to Brink. I've largely avoided it up until the last week, but after watching a few videos yesterday, it looks like a blast.

Me too.
Me three. My new PC comes the same day as Brink. My head may explode from the awesome.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

6. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2011, 15:44 Hoop

Um .. Behind you...

5. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2011, 15:36 Wildone

with the momentum they got it'll last another 10 years like NFS but I think BF3 might take a bite outta them if its really as good as it looks.  

4. Re: Op Ed Apr 30, 2011, 14:51 DangerDog

Is IW even working on the next installment, I thought it was Raven and Sledgehammer (never herd of them before) working on the next COD.

I don't think Activision is too worried about the franchise, I think Black Ops was the worst one yet and it sold the most copies.

3. Re: Is Call of Duty doomed? Apr 30, 2011, 13:31 JaguarUSF

It certainly feels over exposed, but at the same time, with the money it makes every fall, is it any wonder Activision keeps pushing them out?

I know I would.

Speaking of FPS, I'm looking forward to Brink. I've largely avoided it up until the last week, but after watching a few videos yesterday, it looks like a blast.

Me too.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo